MassMutual Reviews in Enfield, CT | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
MassMutual Chairman, President, and CEO Roger W. Crandall
Roger W. Crandall

Pros
  • Supportive management, good benefits, good people to work with (in 29 reviews)

• Great work environment, supportive mentors, highly recommend this internship opportunity if offered (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Commission only, no base salary or temporary salary while training (in 19 reviews)

• It is 100% commission based, so the beginning can be very difficult to get through (in 23 reviews)

1. "IT Project Manager"

Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Enfield, CT
    Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Enfield, CT

I worked at MassMutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic work environment with the great leadership

Cons

Minimal training, very sink or swim, employee atmosphere very poor. no one really cares about you.

2. "PM"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Enfield, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Enfield, CT

Pros

Stable company with lots of capital. Decent benefits on par with industry. Becoming more flexible with work schedules and supporting remote arrangements.

Cons

Still many "old fashioned" folks in management that are stuck in their ways and not very friendly or approachable.......but that's getting better as CEO attempts to modernize company.

3. "Financial consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Enfield, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Enfield, CT

I worked at MassMutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people, benefits and healthcare

Cons

Lot of changes and re-org

Advice to Management

Promote internal advancement. Keep your high performing talent happy.

"Needs tech upgrades"

Former Employee - Key Account Executive in Enfield, CT
    Former Employee - Key Account Executive in Enfield, CT

I worked at MassMutual full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits and Live Well incentives - up to $500 to your Health Savings Acct. Direct managers are personable and honest even though they are kept in the dark by senior leaders.

Cons

Aged technology is frustrating. Senior leaders are not forthcoming with upcoming company changes.

Advice to Management

Be more open to communicating realistically with employees.

6. "Not bad"

Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Enfield, CT
    Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Enfield, CT

I have been working at MassMutual full-time

Pros

Some of the people who work here are the best you'll meet

Cons

Absolutely no accountability. Will never admit error which can be cumbersome when you're the one who has to explain it

Advice to Management

Accountability

7. "Mass Mutual Company Review"

Current Employee - IT Consultant in Enfield, CT
    Current Employee - IT Consultant in Enfield, CT

Pros

Decent benefits and good work life balance.

Cons

Poor location. Lack of diversity

Advice to Management

Hire more college graduates to increase diversity

"For corporate its good."

Current Employee - Director in Enfield, CT
    Current Employee - Director in Enfield, CT

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Plenty of opportunities for advancement. All of the pros that come with a 9-5 job. Great retirement benefits. For the most part the people are like family.

Cons

The health insurance is a joke. It is still a very conservative place to work. Some people are able to
    Skate by doing very little work while others break their backs.

Advice to Management

Make sure to reward those that are star performers. Don't be afraid to talk to employees like we are adults. Keep thanking the frontline workers because they are who most often speaks directly to our customers.

"Started out wonderfully. Then my conscience took over."

Former Employee - Registered Customer Service Representative in Enfield, CT
    Former Employee - Registered Customer Service Representative in Enfield, CT

I worked at MassMutual full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The team is comprised of terrific people who try. I can't think of any other positives. Seriously. It was miserable for the last 2 years.

Cons

In my time with MassMutual we went from a company focused on client and customer education. The focus was to help people understand and make smart decisions about their retirement. Sadly the focus changed exclusively to assets in management and collecting as many fees as possible from participants. The pressure to push people into contributing more than they could afford was overwhelming. We were discouraged from explaining the pros and cons of various transactions in the interest of time and getting rollover funds, regardless of circumstances. It was all about the upsell, not the client's needs.

Advice to Management

You need to either commit to the marketing slogan "help people retire with dignity" or change it to " give us your money".

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Enfield, CT
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Enfield, CT

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, time off and benefits are all a great reason I love working here. Another is the wonderful diversity and great people that I work with. There has been lots of growth in the company and many opportunities.

Cons

We have some people who work from home down south and in other regions 100% of the time because of acquired business and other reasons. If you are hired as an in office employee you may be able to work from home 50% of the time but if you have desire to be 100% at home you will have to wait in line like the rest of us. We are a sure that this is being on and looked into but I don't know when this will happen. I have been waiting to relocate for some time and although I love my job, I'm not sure how much longer I can wait as I want to buy a home in a different state so my life is on hold while I wait for it to happen. Also the systems and platforms for different departments are different and we are awaiting a new updated system to be across the board and working with work around while we wait on this as well. Recent layoffs also worry many employees although we have made growth on top of those layoffs it has made stability a question.

Advice to Management

Open up work from home 100% and retain trained and educated employees who want to live in different areas. It hurts the in office employees who work hard and half of the teams work from home 100% of the time and we don't have that same option if we want to stay with company and keep our jobs but move somewhere else.

"A bad company that's getting worse"

Current Employee - Retirement Services in Enfield, CT
    Current Employee - Retirement Services in Enfield, CT

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance, some good teammates among the rest, benefits are great, if you're able to completely drink the Kool-Aid then you can find some satisfaction in the work itself

Cons

Rolling layoffs - you should never feel secure, negotiate a good starting salary because you will not receive a raise higher than 2-3%, senior and other upper management rule by fear, opportunities to advance are granted by politics and who's your friend and NOT by merit, a program called the MMWay is a model for self-micromanaging both your time and your projects and is a drain on the company, morale is exceptionally low company-wide

Advice to Management

Stop heading down the path you are on as you are currently killing the company, take a close look at your VP and AVP level people and honestly evaluate them as you've been axing the smart ones and keeping only those that manage up well