MassMutual Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
MassMutual Chairman, President, and CEO Roger W. Crandall
Roger W. Crandall

Pros
  • Work from home option is very flexible (in 15 reviews)

• Supportive management, good benefits, good people to work with (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Commission only, no base salary or temporary salary while training (in 19 reviews)

• It is 100% commission based, so the beginning can be very difficult to get through (in 25 reviews)

"Dated"

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at MassMutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Job is fairly easy to get even though they'd like to make it seem like it isn't

Cons

- Dated sales strategy, promotes cold calling, door to door sales when (IF) anyone is in the market for insurance they will be going online.
    - Offices will charge for everything, copies, cubicles, everything.
    -Mandatory morning meetings that get pretty useless and repetetive after going for a month or two

"Don't walk, RUN away - not a place for talented people"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you're a Data Scientist maybe - any body else, especially development, Customer Experience, this is NOT the place for top talent, career path.

Cons

Horrible morale, working environment. Management openly solicits feedback to get rid of people.

Advice to Management

Leadership from VP level up is arrogant and out-of -touch ... and doesn't care what you think. Don't be fooled by doing an Engagement Survey you're addressing people's concerns.

3. "Misleading"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Spokane, WA

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Potential to make a lot of money.
    Culture is really kind and somewhat helpful.

Cons

No starting salary or starting pay.
    you have to pay for all of your licensing and training.
    No reimbursement for time spent training.
    There is no one to help you create you practice and build your clientele.

Advice to Management

Give some type of starting pay. Minimum wage for the first few months even.

"Beginning was a great environment. Last 6 months more focused on sales than helping customers."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cordova, TN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cordova, TN

I worked at MassMutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are great. Health, vision, dental, 100% match on first 5% of 401(k), and a 5% pension. Also a bonus based on your performance.

Cons

Poor management. They are more worried about micro managing than teaching and helping employees grow. They want you to be a robot instead of helping customers with their issues.

Advice to Management

Remember employees are people and not robots.

"Developer"

Former Employee - Developer in Springfield, MA
    Former Employee - Developer in Springfield, MA

I worked at MassMutual full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The pay was decent and so were the benefits.

Cons

It was a sweatshop. There was no work-life balance and management didn't care. The company only wanted more.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with some respect.

"Financial Rep."

Former Employee - Financial Services Professional in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Services Professional in Rochester, NY

I worked at MassMutual full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Known name in Industry.

Cons

little real training, You bring in your friends and family and then ? No Marketing while I was there. Their focus is Mortgage and trade shows. focus on Insurance . very few FT real employees mostly contractor status with really bad benefits. 3000 deduct on health insurance. No book of business, No leads from company, They discourage mass mailings and massive phone calls even when I purchased the names to call due to the do not call laws in NYS. Management is unresponsive and very concerned about inner office critics but when you leave they trash you. Fake sales numbers to motivate the new people. Mass hiring and then mass migration when you can not bring in strangers to sell after they have your friends and family , They made pack the " forgivable" draw they paid you for a short time which is not really forgivable if you do not meet all goals , they send your name to collection agency for all money they spent in " training allowance " So you have to pay them 6,000 if the position does not work out and most positions will not unless you have friends and family to make those goals so the pressure is on to sell Mass Mutual products required to meet goal. Everyone there is a " director" or manager but most are just Reps that did not do well at being a rep so they were given positions of power to keep them around. Retention will be very low . They wanted me to mentor the new people instead of working my own marketing plan and I have 20 years in the business. Do Not work there. and whatever you sign, make sure it's not a " loan" agreement , they are sneaky . Gossip is high, Moral is low.

Advice to Management

The principal, David , needs to fire all this fake management people and get qualified people to head all departments and make a real marketing department like your " benefits statement " suggests you have already. Massive marketing and phone calls from a phone center and mass mailings and networking is the only way to succeed. I got them to join the chamber of commerce in my last days there , which they should have been involved with actively all along. Stop scamming people with this fake forgivable draw , bait and switch scam , do not let your C,O,O run the show , she is useless and was a secretary a few years ago and now she is running your company ? Really ? Do not hire people until their license is approved by NYS insurance department. Asking reps to write business in their boss's name and rep number is illegal. If you give your managers mortgage leads to distribute and they keep all the leads for themselves , that is morally wrong and highly unprofessional. The sales managers are sales people over seeing new reps. They have no loyalty to the reps at all.. I call it the family and friends program and once you get all their network to buy they are gone. You stole that idea from Metlife and look what happened to them. Going to the Principle of an agency and have to beg for business or for opportunities gives you the power but is very unprofessional that everyone is at your mercy for a paycheck. I had to beg over a two month period to be part of the Mortgage lead program and my emails and voice messages went unanswered for weeks and months at a time as the Principal's secretary was the " marketing department" and a busy secretary and in charge of the smooth transition of new reps into the business. She was overwhelmed and unresponsive and took a whole month off due to " illness" while most of this work needed to be done. All my emails and complaints and objections to how things were done were shoved back in my face as " mutiny" and Treason toward the Company and called " Snarky" . so this is apparently a company that can not take any Critic's voice at all. Be quick, do not complain, being in your connections and then you are on your own so be prepared to spend your own money as I did on all marketing and sales efforts as if you were starting your own business out of your home and using a Company name while giving Massmutual half of your commissions and pay for office space and supplies. Worst contract in the history of Financial Services positions out there.

"Worst place and people I've ever worked around"

Former Employee - Land Locked In Inefficiency and Paper Pushing in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Land Locked In Inefficiency and Paper Pushing in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at MassMutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Subsidized food, covered parking, you get to go home.

Cons

Absolutely the most selfish and least engaging millennials you'll ever be around. Very low standards of work. Insurance salesmen and supervisors who couldn't pass their 7 who treat you with little respect when you try to help. FemiiNazis in HR who are unprofessional. Easy coast, fake, superficial, disassociated culture and MA transfers who hate it out here, hate their jobs (but smile) and who often are low paid because they have little education, life or work experiences. Cult like work environment.

Advice to Management

Start from scratch and hire older, wiser employees. The PC quotas are obvious and don't make for true talent diversity or a cohesive and loyal team environment.

"Look elsewhere"

Former Employee - Sales Agent in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at MassMutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

During the recruiting process you are promised the world. All of the benefits of this career are discussed without any mention of the challenges.

Cons

They do not deliver on one promise. The training is horrible and they only want you to sell annuities to your friends and families. Once you go through them you get zero help with building a business. There is no leadership in this office.

Advice to Management

Help new agents actually build a business instead of just asking what you can sell next.

"Financial Advisor"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at MassMutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance is good. You can pretty much make your own schedule. That's all I can say about the pros.

Cons

This company is horrible. Soon I'm sure they will be investigated for violation of fiduciary rules. They force you to sell their products to everyone regardless of suitability. If you don't then they won't pay you at all. You have to pay them to work for them. They hold back commissions based on some bogus excuse and then act like you are inconveniencing them. They only care about whole life insurance. Pay outs suck and they only want you to sell tier one products which consist of one produce. Stay far away from this company. They are crooks.

Advice to Management

Stop forcing talented financial planners to life insurance agents!!

"Executive Assistant"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at MassMutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*Commuter Benefits ($80/month).
    *Good Location, centralized to everything in SF.

Cons

*The SF location was stuffy, cold (unfriendly) work environment.
    *Fridge was always filthy, coffee machine/maker was always broken.
    *New faces every week (and not just the agents), the girl at the front desk was told to scrub the carpet that one of the agents spilled their coffee all over (she put in her notice a week later). Total of 3 different front desk people within 1 year of working there.
    *Low pay for SF standards!

I worked for an agent who had their own internal insurance company under MM and just moved over from another insurance agency. On my first day, I learned another assistant was planning to go on temporary leave. As I continued working there I began to realize that I was hired under false pretenses meaning I was not told so but was really hired as "temporary coverage" to help them transition from this other insurance agency and to eventually cover for this assistant in the near future. I also started to question if my boss really needed two assistants for the long run. When I mentioned this I was reassured and was told that my position would actually grow. After a few months, I found it odd that my boss wouldn't put me under their own company's payroll as the other employees were but instead was kept under MM's. Despite all the warning signs early on, I genuinely wanted to learn the business and I wasn't a quitter. So I pushed aside all the red flags that continued to follow.

I started covering for the other assistant long before they went on leave as this person was almost always out of the office. I also knew they made a considerable higher salary than me and naturally felt I should be fairly compensated for it. After discussion, I was told I would receive a temporary monthly bonus for the months covering and that I'd have all the resources needed to do so. Even though after one month this increase was not being delivered as promised, I continued to do my best to deliver as promised. I jumped through hoops trying to do everything right and succeeding in many; however, reaching out to one of the main resources, was like sending requests into a black hole. It was part of my job to be in constant contact with this individual. Whenever they did respond they were always either rude and brief or mixing up case info when referencing. This of course made me look like I wasn't doing my job and always backfired on me.
    It also didn't help that my boss was the passive aggressive type making it very difficult to communicate with. Recognition was slim to none. I worked after hours as needed using my own cell phone/computer without a typical reimbursement. I even put aside taking family leave to attend a funeral after a close family member passed away because I was dedicated to being there during a busy time. The stress of this job started effecting me outside of work and had finally decided I'd had enough. Not to mention, my Christmas bonus was a laughable $100 from my boss who was one of the top producers making $$$ and of course MM did not award anything. Having worked several years prior as an EA, I've never experienced such a negative working environment, boss, and lack of compensation.

Coincidentally, the day I got let go was also the week I was planning to put in my notice. It was also a week before the other assistant was set to return from leave so although I was planning to quit, this confirmed my theory of being hired under false pretenses. Silly me was trying to be nice and not leave my boss hanging meanwhile they had a hidden agenda to fire me a week before she was set to return. To add to insult, I never saw a penny in monthly pay increase as promised (Boss had no integrity). I've always had a solid work track record, never been let go and held many excellent relationships with my previous bosses. I know I did the best I could and realized they simply didn't value nor deserve me as an employee. A big mistake on my end was not getting everything in writing (pay increase, bonus...etc) and not putting in my notice sooner.

My Advice: If you value yourself as a dedicated, hard working EA with a strong work ethic: Do not work for Etonway Financial at MM SF.