MassMutual Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 23, 2017

MassMutual Chairman, President, and CEO Roger W. Crandall
Roger W. Crandall

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work environment and very friendly people (in 41 reviews)

• great benefits and great training (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Commission only, no base salary or temporary salary while training (in 21 reviews)

• Compensation is predominantly commission based (in 26 reviews)

1. "You get what you put in"

Current Employee - Financial Services Professional in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Services Professional in Houston, TX

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great array of competitive insurance products. Non-captive agency which provides more options to service the client. Ongoing in-house sales and product training provided, as well as occasional opportunities to obtain CE Credits to maintain licensure. Uncapped earning potential, particularly after you obtain your FINRA securities licenses. Firm will fund State Insurance License exam fees as well as provide study materials.

Cons

Can be a very lonely career choice. While starting your career, be prepared to give 40 - 50% of your commission to a experienced Advisor while you learn the business for the first 3-6 months. MassMutual does not provide any lead lists. You generate all of your own leads, so if you have a weak network, you have a higher likelihood of failure. If you plan to take any FINRA exams, be prepared to come out of pocket for the Series 7/66 or the 6/63 exams (unlike competing firms) and training materials. "Orphan" clients are generally not provided to new Advisors. 100% commission after your "training year." In-house training is wholly geared towards sales of various Life, Disability, and Annuity Insurance products which is constraining. Investment training is an afterthought and virtually non-existent within the firm although we have the capabilities for brokerage service, individual / group retirement accounts, and managed money "wrap" accounts, which I feel is an squandered opportunity. Career-wise, the trajectory is pretty flat compared to other industries.

Advice to Management

For new hires, the training salary should be a little more competitive. At a minimum there should be parity with rival firms and their respective training "salary." With the rebranded name into "MassMutual Financial Group," we need to take the investment side of the business seriously. By treating the investment side of the business as an afterthought culturally, we are leaving money on the table. New advisors on a 100% commission shouldn't have to dig deeper into their pockets for investment licenses. Encourage all new hires to obtain at least their Series 6/63 licenses within the first 6 months.

2. "Great potential but not there yet."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MA

Pros

Smart and engaged people. It should be a great place to work. Many seasoned professionals who are experts in their respective fields.

Cons

IT is antiquated and often the overall IT strategy is unclear. Strange culture where public celebration of diversity coexists with the old boys club.

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward. Invest in IT. Keep an open mind to new ways of thinking and executing on work.

3. "Great products/ Mediocre management"

Former Contractor - Insurance Producer in White Plains, NY
    Former Contractor - Insurance Producer in White Plains, NY

I worked at MassMutual as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

MassMutual offers a lot of good financial products, as well as having some great people in their compliance department.

Cons

I felt that management was slightly immoral, as well as not really open to do intensive training for one who is not that well versed in the financial services industry. I eventually quit because I thought my manager couldn't really be bothered with me: perhaps he was frustrated by my low skill level.

Advice to Management

Offer more in-depth training to new agents. As well, pair new agents with managers who suit their personality style.

4. "sales"

Former Contractor - Sales Representative in Denver, CO
    Former Contractor - Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at MassMutual as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

An unlimited cap on your earning potential.

Cons

They charge you for everything.

5. "EA"

Pros

Nice working environment and friendly coworker

Cons

Not a lot of growth. Hard to seek promotions

6. "Opportunities are there"

I have been working at MassMutual full-time

Pros

Potential to make great money if you can bring people in the door.

Able to sell products that aren't MM.

Cons

Good training but absolutely no investment in their workforce, have to pay for literally everything out of pocket.

Advice to Management

Invest in your workforce.

7. "Business Analyst"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Downers Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Downers Grove, IL

I worked at MassMutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary was good. Health insurance and 401k with a 5 percent match.

Cons

I feel that the Training needs improvement.

8. "Great benefits, difficult to advance."

Current Employee - Registered Customer Service Representative in Springfield, MA

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits such as 401k - also the vacation time and available use of personal and sick time is a plus.

Cons

Difficult to advance; managers definitely pick favorites. For the amount of work we do, I do believe that my salary should be higher.

9. "Financial Advisor"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at MassMutual as a contractor

Pros

Good, professional atmosphere

Good opportunity

Cons

Lack of coaching and development

10. "Sales"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at MassMutual full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company, products and people

Cons

Commission splits are VERY low. They tell you about all the benefits you get. If you have a few years experience it is MUCH better to go independent, get paid Brokerage Allowance bonuses, provide yourself your own benefits and join MDRT mentorship program to increase your sales revenue.

Advice to Management

Start getting paid for what your veterans do. Otherwise you ignore them and lose your greatest assets.