MassMutual Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
MassMutual Chairman, President, and CEO Roger W. Crandall
Roger W. Crandall

Pros
  • Work from home option is very flexible (in 15 reviews)

• Supportive management, good benefits, good people to work with (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Commission only, no base salary or temporary salary while training (in 19 reviews)

• It is 100% commission based, so the beginning can be very difficult to get through (in 25 reviews)

"Old Boys Network Reigns Here - Just Because You're Male Doesn't Mean You'll Get Into the Clique"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MA

Pros

Job performance is rarely defined or assessed...so it's hard to fail. Very socialist compensation since the only way you can reward the high performers is to slam the low performers. Since this is a company that abhors conflict or honesty, that means almost everyone gets the same salary increase. So, you're just stupid if you work hard or long hours.

Cons

Why would you work where you can't get promoted on merit and aren't rewarded unless you suck up to the kings? If you are a technical expert, no one cares. You have to manage people to get promoted.

There is NO room for really valuable technical contributors. Stay away from actuarial (bunch of arrogant power mongers who passed exams in the 1970s and know nothing about current products and methodologies), IT (they demonstrate day in and day out that they don't know and never knew how to write a program, to test programs methodically, write specifications, or manage others who do know how to perform IT tasks!), financial planning (let's just say that if no one believes your long range plan and that's only a 2 year projection, you are really bad) , or accounting (manual band aids are the solution to everything and no one knows how to checks the results for reasonability. They just get someone from every contributing area to sign a statement that their little piece is right!) jobs.

No one where this company is going. The strategy is to sell more. Ideally sell more whole life, no matter the cost.

Advice to Management

Lead us with a big picture, long term view of where we are going. Why are we making the changes that we are? What's the long term business goal?

Define roles and responsibilities. Then technical expertise can be applied, order can be restored, and we know who approves or disapproves our process enhancements or new product ideas.

"MassMutual"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

It is a good company with good products and services, as well as great potential for growth in the company

Cons

It is a pick your poison type of thing. Although MassMutual is a great company it falls I'll to the same woes of other mutual firms when it comes to growth within the country.

Advice to Management

Every company's management could lend better support and training. Senior management and personnel should mold new talent better in order to better retention rates.

"Used to be a great company but current IT management is leading the company to ruin"

Current Employee - Systems Specialist in Springfield, MA

Pros

Great vacation benefits
    Flexible work arrangements
    Best pay in the area

Cons

Culture of fear and intimidation
    Old boys club / network
    managerial incompetence

Advice to Management

Need a new CIO. Need serious senior management turnover. Offer an early retirement package to get rid of the long-timers that are still stuck in the world of COBOL and DB2.

"Not a results driven Company and IT Management is deficient across the board"

Current Employee - Systems Specialist in Springfield, MA

Pros

Work Life Balance
    Pay for tuition
    Strong financials and very stable

Cons

Performance reviews are subjective and not tied to results
    IT Management has no vision, creativity or skills and very little IT experience. They believe all of their direct reports who also have very little IT experience.. Company is not flexible, adaptable or efficient. Business clients all use their own desired technology as it is not being centrally driven by the CIO. The CIO moved to his position because of the old boy's club

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees who are on the floor every day and they will tell you what the "real" not perceived issues are.

"Uber conservative, No growth oppertunities...do what your told and don't have an opinion"

Current Employee - Training & Documentation Consultant in Springfield, MA
    Current Employee - Training & Documentation Consultant in Springfield, MA

Pros

location (both Enfield and Springfield)
    networking
    experience

Cons

no growth oppertunities
    benefits get worse every year
    lots of bad managers and senior leaders
    more focus on the bottom line then employee or customer satisfaction

Advice to Management

refocus on employee satisfaction. Stop cutting corners to save a buck. Too many very talented people have been let go.

7. "Wont' give money back after being laid off"

Current Contractor - Material Handler in Vonore, TN
    Current Contractor - Material Handler in Vonore, TN

I have been working at MassMutual as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

None, to share. They are eating up my money.

Cons

Refuses to give money back, when I no longer work there and has no corporate number to call.

Advice to Management

Give your number to your customers so that problems with monies owed can be refered to.

"Shocked Mass Mutual Would Ruin Their Name by Not Paying Employees!"

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Clifton, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in Clifton, NJ

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I can't think of any pros

Cons

Worked there for 3 months, was charged mega fees for E&O insurance and was not even paid minimum wage! My take home for 3 Months of 40 hour weeks came out to $401.00 for the whole 3 months! That is less than 89-cents per hour! $401.00 was on 12 submitted applications.
    They ruined my life by lying to me that I would double my income by quitting my 70k job and going with them. .
    On top of that, they disputed my unemployment claim, claiming that I was an independent contractor....yet the ad I answered for the job said "employee" 4 times in it, and "independent contractor ZERO times.
    I lost at least $35,000.00 so far by believing their lies! And my family is struggling.

Advice to Management

Treat employees the way you would want your family to be treated in the work force.

9. "Financial Advisor"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Chesterfield, MO
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Chesterfield, MO

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unlimited potential, you can take days off without needing any approval

Cons

It is set up like a pyramid scheme. You have to pay to work here, anywhere from $300-500 a month. The worst part is everyone gets paid before you. I know one rep that was there made about $3000 the ENTIRE year and only saw $50 of it because the company had their hands in it before they even paid her.

You pay for EVERYTHING, the "salary plus bonus" is a joke and not guaranteed

Extremely high turnover rate

Advice to Management

Don't set new people up to fail and stop hiring new people just to steal their warm market

"Would not reccommend working here"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good office staff; nice offices; quality products; ease of doing business; benefits

Cons

upper management not involved with day to day operations and not approachable or gets defensive; lower management robotic with their teachings; no help generating sales and no financial support to get started; appears that established agents have succeeded off the backs of people who quit within first year or two as their first sales are low relative to their income of residuals; worst case of good ol'e boy network you can imagine; unpleasant senior agents; we are asked to write in to "Best Places to Work in VA" so we can win; very unfavorable to women agents

Advice to Management

get in touch with agents coming along and ask what they need today not preach what used to be done 20 years ago; come off some of the money you all make and help new people get a good footing; don't make it so obvious what senior agents earn as it is very disheartening to see favoritism be rewarded

"Used to be a good company to work for"

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

friendly co-workers help make a poor working environment bearable.

Cons

Very poor leadership and a poor work/life balance. Culture is old school and generally against work from home arrangements. Tendency to be understaffed and excessive overtime is the norm. Not an open culture. Upper level management/executives are out of touch and not open to employee input for improving a very poor work environment.

Advice to Management

what you are doing right now isn't working. when you ask employees for input on your many surveys actually listen to what is being said.