MassMutual Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
MassMutual Chairman, President, and CEO Roger W. Crandall
Roger W. Crandall

Pros
  • Stable Company, good benefits if you take advantage of them (in 28 reviews)

• Great benefits for a statutory W2 emplyee (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Commission only, no base salary or temporary salary while training (in 19 reviews)

• It is 100% commission based, so the beginning can be very difficult to get through (in 23 reviews)

1. "Look elsewhere"

Former Employee - Sales Agent in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at MassMutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

During the recruiting process you are promised the world. All of the benefits of this career are discussed without any mention of the challenges.

Cons

They do not deliver on one promise. The training is horrible and they only want you to sell annuities to your friends and families. Once you go through them you get zero help with building a business. There is no leadership in this office.

Advice to Management

Help new agents actually build a business instead of just asking what you can sell next.

2. "Better Options"

I have been working at MassMutual full-time

Pros

Flexibility is nice, can work when you want.

Cons

Outdated business model, questionable recruiting tactics.

Advice to Management

Get with the times, the old way of having a revolving door of financial professionals is outdated and doesn't fit the up and coming workforce.

3. "Financial Advisor"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at MassMutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance is good. You can pretty much make your own schedule. That's all I can say about the pros.

Cons

This company is horrible. Soon I'm sure they will be investigated for violation of fiduciary rules. They force you to sell their products to everyone regardless of suitability. If you don't then they won't pay you at all. You have to pay them to work for them. They hold back commissions based on some bogus excuse and then act like you are inconveniencing them. They only care about whole life insurance. Pay outs suck and they only want you to sell tier one products which consist of one produce. Stay far away from this company. They are crooks.

Advice to Management

Stop forcing talented financial planners to life insurance agents!!

"Executive Assistant"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at MassMutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*Commuter Benefits ($80/month).
    *Good Location, centralized to everything in SF.

Cons

*The SF location was stuffy, cold (unfriendly) work environment.
    *Fridge was always filthy, coffee machine/maker was always broken.
    *New faces every week (and not just the agents), the girl at the front desk was told to scrub the carpet that one of the agents spilled their coffee all over (she put in her notice a week later). Total of 3 different front desk people within 1 year of working there.
    *Low pay for SF standards!

I worked for an agent who had their own internal insurance company under MM and just moved over from another insurance agency. On my first day, I learned another assistant was planning to go on temporary leave. As I continued working there I began to realize that I was hired under false pretenses meaning I was not told so but was really hired as "temporary coverage" to help them transition from this other insurance agency and to eventually cover for this assistant in the near future. I also started to question if my boss really needed two assistants for the long run. When I mentioned this I was reassured and was told that my position would actually grow. After a few months, I found it odd that my boss wouldn't put me under their own company's payroll as the other employees were but instead was kept under MM's. Despite all the warning signs early on, I genuinely wanted to learn the business and I wasn't a quitter. So I pushed aside all the red flags that continued to follow.

I started covering for the other assistant long before they went on leave as this person was almost always out of the office. I also knew they made a considerable higher salary than me and naturally felt I should be fairly compensated for it. After discussion, I was told I would receive a temporary monthly bonus for the months covering and that I'd have all the resources needed to do so. Even though after one month this increase was not being delivered as promised, I continued to do my best to deliver as promised. I jumped through hoops trying to do everything right and succeeding in many; however, reaching out to one of the main resources, was like sending requests into a black hole. It was part of my job to be in constant contact with this individual. Whenever they did respond they were always either rude and brief or mixing up case info when referencing. This of course made me look like I wasn't doing my job and always backfired on me.
    It also didn't help that my boss was the passive aggressive type making it very difficult to communicate with. Recognition was slim to none. I worked after hours as needed using my own cell phone/computer without a typical reimbursement. I even put aside taking family leave to attend a funeral after a close family member passed away because I was dedicated to being there during a busy time. The stress of this job started effecting me outside of work and had finally decided I'd had enough. Not to mention, my Christmas bonus was a laughable $100 from my boss who was one of the top producers making $$$ and of course MM did not award anything. Having worked several years prior as an EA, I've never experienced such a negative working environment, boss, and lack of compensation.

Coincidentally, the day I got let go was also the week I was planning to put in my notice. It was also a week before the other assistant was set to return from leave so although I was planning to quit, this confirmed my theory of being hired under false pretenses. Silly me was trying to be nice and not leave my boss hanging meanwhile they had a hidden agenda to fire me a week before she was set to return. To add to insult, I never saw a penny in monthly pay increase as promised (Boss had no integrity). I've always had a solid work track record, never been let go and held many excellent relationships with my previous bosses. I know I did the best I could and realized they simply didn't value nor deserve me as an employee. A big mistake on my end was not getting everything in writing (pay increase, bonus...etc) and not putting in my notice sooner.

My Advice: If you value yourself as a dedicated, hard working EA with a strong work ethic: Do not work for Etonway Financial at MM SF.

"Stay away"

Current Employee - Vice President in Springfield, MA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Springfield, MA

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent opportunities to move between departments and functions. Lots of turnover in recent years has been good in that it has brought in new people to a company that desperately needs fresh perspectives.

Cons

Bureaucratic, slow, disfunctional executive leadership team who makes poor decisions and focuses on the wrong things, subpar talent, lack of focus

Advice to Management

Be willing to make the tough decisions that need to be made to be relevant in the future. Stop changing things that don't need to be changed, such as eliminating all officer level titles (e.g., SVP, VP, AVP).

"Horrible Management, Terrible Toxic Place To Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MA

Pros

None. Run away as far as you can.

Cons

Management is some of the most inept I have seen. Management is allowed to behave badly, treat people badly, without any accountability whatsoever. Especially if you are a white man. Extremely toxic environment with heavy attrition, lack of transparency, Management in roles that they are not qualified to do with heavy internal monetary losses without ramification. The Board of Directors is dropping the ball by allowing this poorly skilled c-suite continue on as they do. No heart and could care less about team members. It is a let them leave mentality. Bad bad bad.

Advice to Management

Advice to the Board of Directors. Start cleaning house with the c-suite. You have dropped the ball. The amount of incapable, unaccountable, egotistical c-suite management is mind blowing. The employees feel it and you will be doing the work by yourself since employees are leaving in droves.

"MassMutual St. Louis management/training was a severe disappointment"

Former Employee - Financial Services Professional in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Financial Services Professional in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at MassMutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have a great whole life insurance product for you to sell. It truly is the best on the market if you do your research.

Cons

They hire anyone who breaths. If you can breath they can hire you, you can bring a friend/family member on as a client, and then when you quit they don't have to pay you residual so they make more money.

They train on old school insurance sales, not the financial products or how to run a business. They charge you for everything most people take for granted at businesses. They charge for your E&O insurance, CRM's, printing, licensing, and a bunch of other stuff most companies would take care of for you.

There are good advisors here who focus on comprehensive planning, but management pushes insurance because that is what they get paid for.

"Financial Services Representative"

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at MassMutual full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunity in this career field as 93% of reps wash out in the first 6 months to a year. Ability to make good money, as long as you have a huge wealthy network. Offers the ability to set your own hours, IF you can last more than 3 years. Starting out is a grind which is why I rate it a 2.

Cons

"What have you done for me lately" attitude by partners at the office I worked for. Minimal training for those new to the industry or out of school which makes it extremely difficult to establish credibility in an extremely competitive landscape. Poor leadership shown by managers, "Book appointments and let me know if you want me to go with you" mentality. Out-dated presentation and approach to gaining clients.

Advice to Management

Invest in your agents, especially those fresh out of school new to this industry. Develop some sort of process for attracting clients other than calling people in their "warm market". That literally ruined friendships because I was expected to dial and leave messages until they responded. Get away from the "sell as many $100 a month whole life policies" mindset and develop a new training program and presentation that's focused around EDUCATING the client rather than SELLING to them.

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at MassMutual (More than a year)

Pros

Products are great! Get to network with slot of people.

Cons

Sell to friends and family. Try to fit client to product not product to client. Not great training. Underwriting is difficult

Advice to Management

Try to really help your employees instead of looking at them a profit centers.

"Management is corrupt"

I worked at MassMutual full-time

Pros

Decent pay and vacation time.

Cons

long hours
    Illegal unpaid overtime for hourly employees
    Bad health insurance
    Management is hostile and thrives on drama
    Poor teamwork. Hostile environment amongst coworkers of the same team
    HR is there for the leadership, not the underdog employees. They protect the company not the people.
    Dishonest management
    Poor communication amongst the entire organization. We were putting in the proposals things that didn't exist anymore because other teams and departments were withholding information.
    A lot of ageism.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees and do not get involved in or start drama as it creates an unprofessional work environment. Value the input of new and young employees instead of bullying them. HR needs to show more respect for employees and not solely work for the big guy. There needs to be better vetting before promotions are offered. There is a reason turnover is high and that's because the managers are monsters.