MassMutual Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
MassMutual Chairman, President, and CEO Roger W. Crandall
Roger W. Crandall

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work environment and very friendly people (in 41 reviews)

• great benefits and great training (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Commission only, no base salary or temporary salary while training (in 21 reviews)

• Compensation is predominantly commission based (in 26 reviews)

1. "Acquired by Mass Mutual"

I worked at MassMutual full-time

Pros

Can not think of any for operations

Cons

Horrible Medical benefits, horrible maternity leave, no back office support for staff

2. "MetLife threw us under the bus!"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Madison, WI

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, solid reputation

Cons

You have to sell MassMutual products to keep health benefits and your job!

Advice to Management

As a former MetLife career agent, I believe management should embrace competition and let the advisor and client decide what product is best vs. forcing us to lead with a MassMutual product to keep our benefits. Shame on you MassMutual!

3. "No Way To Make a Living"

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Professional people who work there

Cons

Their system of paying 100% commission is outdated in a world where people have so many options to buy life insurance and the cost of living is so high

Advice to Management

Pay a base salary

4. "Licensing and Contracting Coordinator"

I worked at MassMutual full-time

Pros

You gain a lot of experience in many areas.

Cons

Office Politics ruined work atmosphere.

"The Worst"

I worked at MassMutual full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The day you leave the company will likely be one of the best days of your life.

Cons

The negative views already posted on this site are remarkably accurate. Toxic environment, unethical senior management, and full of middle management duds. A company to avoid unless you have nothing else.

6. "Worst Choice You can ever make!"

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Detroit, MI

I worked at MassMutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None, Nothing great to brag about.

Cons

Most of the people at this particular location were shameless, non caring, non compassionate, lone rangering and self absorbed. No clear leaders, Everyone was out for himself or herself.
    Clear Paranoid Schizophrenia thinking along with power obsessed morons.
    Office Manager is inexperienced.
    There is no clear demand for a Mass Mutual Policy! Probably big reason why they bought MetLife.

Advice to Management

Create A Real Unified Team environment.
    Lead by Example.
    Integrity Training.

7. "Agent"

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Boston, MA

I worked at MassMutual (More than a year)

Pros

If you are seeking a higher opinion of your intelligence and character - no place will provide this better than the cretins of CFG. If you are sick and tired of your employer giving you paychecks - CFG will also solve that ill.

Cons

For those interested in partnering with a captive agency, there are far better choices. The focus of this organization is clearly not in growing a captive agency. If you're looking for a brokerage relationship why consider a captive agency? The promises of resources are mirages. Technology is lacking. Their approach is limited and stifling. MML's product line is weak overall and MLISI is wretched spawn of a broker-dealer birthed in hell. All in all I rate my MassMutual experience as awful. But, ya know... I bet it will be different for you... Right?

Advice to Management

Blow it up. Start over. If an organization is only as rich as the character of its leadership - this place is bankrupt.

8. "The worst internship ever"

Current Intern - IT Academy in Springfield, MA
    Current Intern - IT Academy in Springfield, MA

I have been working at MassMutual as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

they give you nothing to do so you sit at your desk and do nothing all day

Cons

you learn nothing you waste your time no one cares about you

Advice to Management

I came here and sat at my desk for the whole internship asking my boss everyday for things to do and he had nothing for me to do so I spent my entire time here watching online tutorials and accomplishing nothing. I wasted my summer and my time. I'm very upset with this company.

"Vindictive, Backstabbing, Unprofessional, Petty,Extreme bias"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ted talks and Fortune 100 compny looks good on your resume. Thats about it.

Cons

Where to start... the team I work on has the most negative, energy sucking, vindictive individuals I had ever worked with. Specifically my supervisor and her favorite employee. She would regularly bad mouth people on the team and speak about personal, confidential information, out loud, to her sidekick (her favorite on the team due this employee's knowledge, because without this individual my supervisor would be SOL). A few of the rest of us are in ear shot so we hear her talk about how she wants to get people fired, how she feels about people's reasons for taking FMLA, or even just sick/personal days. One time, she even questioned an employees bereavement (out loud) when the employees father died. She has pitted team members against each other, and regularly reveasl employees' personal situations to the team, and laughs about it with her sidekick. Also, if you do not have kids, there is no leniency offered to you. She has an extreme bias when it comes to employees with kids vs employees without. Having to leave early, come in late or take personal days are approved with a smile. If you don't have kids she feels there is no reason for personal days or flexibility with your shift. She and her sidekick always have ulterior motives. If they don't like you, they will find a way to turn people against you, specifically your team and management. She is so unprofessional that I cannot believe she is in this position. She has told blatant lies about employees and is extremely petty. The team know it all gets special privledges, comes and goes as she pleases, gets bonuses she doesnt deserve, and mostly because she has 3 kids and the manager would be lost and not survive eithout this employee's help. For the pennies it pays, it's not worth being on such a cheap team. 5 cannot wait to start my new job. Worst experience of my life

Advice to Management

I have seen the best talent leave in the last 6 months due to how this team operates. Get rid of management and employees that act like high schoolers in the workplace. This makes it uncomfortable for everyone. At the very least, I shouldn't know the reasons why or my managers personal feelings in regards to my teammates FMLA.

10. "Toxic Culture"

I worked at MassMutual full-time

Pros

Beautiful Campus in Springfield and Enfield

Cons

The internal atmosphere is toxic.too many insecure old time managers fustrated over their own career.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the thigs in the suits ..very arrogant top management several of whom wete shown the door by competitors..old boy network needs to disban. To women just as bad...a lot of smoje and mirrors very little true character.