MassMutual Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
MassMutual Chairman, President, and CEO Roger W. Crandall
Roger W. Crandall

Pros
  • Great work environment, supportive mentors, highly recommend this internship opportunity if offered (in 36 reviews)

• Great benefits for a statutory W2 emplyee (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • No base salary, all commission based (in 19 reviews)

• Commission based which can actually be a pro if you work hard enough (in 23 reviews)

1. "batman"

Pros

commission based, go back to school idiot

Cons

Look above for the comment needed

2. "Software engineering intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at MassMutual as an intern

Pros

great company and amazing opportunity to learn

Cons

nothing really to complain about

3. "One of the best companies for Data Scientist"

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great career growth opportunity
    - The team is young so we have less legacy issues so we can try a lot of new technologies
    - Managers understand your work and even any technical details, your contribution is well recognized
    - Work is meaningful and impactful. We can see our work is changing the way we are doing business
    - Very good pay and benefits
    - Helpful and friendly colleagues, form whom I have learned a lot

Cons

It is a little challenging to prioritize works due to the number of projects because all are important and exciting. Therefore, it is a little difficult to achieve good work/life balance. I am glad to see this is changing as we are growing fast and having more resources

5. "great place to work"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in Boston, MA

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

MassMutual has a great culture and incredible people. Good benefits, generous vacation package, flexible work timings.

Cons

Can be extremely fast paced at times.

6. "Great group, meaningful and impactful work"

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Dynamic and smart group of data scientists and engineers
    - Impactful projects that span the entire company and its subsidiaries
    - Never-ending opportunities to learn and grow on the job

Cons

- The team is busy and growing rapidly. Time management can be difficult at times.

7. "Great Company, Great Team"

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Exceptional leadership.
    2. Great track record of helping people secure their futures and protect their loved ones.
    3. Great ongoing training.
    4. Very supportive colleagues.

Cons

I have not encountered a negative in this company. The work is hard, absolutely. The work demands a total commitment in order to be successful. BUT: there are considerable rewards for hard work.

Advice to Management

This company has been around forever. It has consistently moved up the Fortune500 list and resides at #76 right now. I don't have any particular new nuggets of advice. I'd just suggest they keep doing what they're doing.

8. "Financial Services Representative"

I have been working at MassMutual full-time

Pros

MassMutual helps you get there!

Cons

You work for General Agent (GA), who controls your compensation at " GA discretion". Rules can be changed whenever it suits them.

9. "Financial rep"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Lake Oswego, OR
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Lake Oswego, OR

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture! Independence, income and impact! You get to help people, have independence to still spend time with your family and make a good living in the process. If you're willing to work hard, you can make great money and feel fulfilled.

Cons

It's hard work for sure. You have to be willing to be coachable, work hard and deal with rejection. If you're willing to do all 3 of these things, you can be very successful but you have to be willing to pay the price for success.

Advice to Management

You have a great culture, product and service that you provide to the community. I would encourage you to continue to teach the young advisors how to get prospect.

10. "Financial Service Representative"

Current Employee - Financial Services Professional in Lake Oswego, OR
    Current Employee - Financial Services Professional in Lake Oswego, OR

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

MassMutual-Oregon was crucial in developing me as a professional straight out of college. While it a large company, it feels small in terms of support from the home office as well as the resources at the Lake Oswego location. They have an excellent training program that they stick with - it's not just 2 weeks and they forget about you. It's consistent, everyday development.

The culture is filled with a lot of people who like to WIN - this is a competitive atmosphere where people work hard and there are options to go out and have a good time with coworkers too. Company trips, happy hours in PDX etc...

There is a lot of freedom in the role and with hard work, a large payout. If you are looking into to get into the financial services business or are already experienced and don't feel like you have the things you need to be successful - make MassMutual your 1st choice.

Cons

By becoming a business owner, you'll need to act like a business owner. This means hard work and being accountable for your day in, day out activity. While the rewards are great, nothing comes easy and you have to have a great, positive, mentality when you start.

Advice to Management

Continue to put in your best effort training new reps and continue to support the more experienced producers.

11. "Investment Service Specialist"

Former Employee - Investment Service Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Investment Service Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at MassMutual full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company offered industry best when it came to benefits. You are given a 401k (5% match), pension plan, 20 PTO (16 Vacation, 3 personal, 1 floating days) and 5 sick. This is a great company to build your career if you plan to continue on their insurance side. The broker/dealer positions are very limited as most of the operations are in Mass.

Cons

20% salary cap for internal promotions. It's known that you have to leave the company and come back to get a more competitive salary because of that ridiculous cap on salary. there is not much opportunity for growth as most positions are lateral moves.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the salary cap to encourage keeping current employees instead of paying outside candidates with no experience more.