MassMutual Reviews | Glassdoor

MassMutual Reviews

Updated January 11, 2018

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • great benefits and great training (in 35 reviews)

• Great work environment, positive experience (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Commission only, no base salary or temporary salary while training (in 22 reviews)

• You start out in a commission based only environment but if you have the work ethic this can work out to your advantage (in 28 reviews)

"Decent company but poor culture"

Former Employee - Director in Springfield, MA
    Former Employee - Director in Springfield, MA

I worked at MassMutual full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, great opportunities to move laterally, beautiful grounds

Cons

Stepford wife culture, they want happy and loyal robots but aren't loyal in return, limited growth opportunities unless you're in the clique

Advice to Management

listen to the people who actually do the work, empower your employees, stop trying to do so many things at once

2. "Company needs to work on organization from the top down."

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits match insurance/finance industry average.

Cons

Home office takes little in to account when making decision for the field. The disconnect gets wider with every new project launched.

Advice to Management

Do your research, talk to the field. Remember that our goal is to be out seeing people not trying to keep up with all the information you send us on a constant basis. Pick one project per quarter and the field will be much more cooperative. A new project from every department every quarter is too much and we end up absorbing nothing.

3. "AVP Retirement Call Center"

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President Retirement Call Center in Enfield, CT

I worked at MassMutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture was heading in a positive way

Cons

Turnover was very high at upper levels creating instability

"Director Of Brokerage"

I worked at MassMutual full-time

Pros

Quality Company strong financials

Cons

minimal product selection, Only strong in the whole life arena

5. "Good life/work balance - travel is a downside"

I have been working at MassMutual full-time

Pros

Good work life balance and reasonable job security

Cons

Commute to Springfield 2 hr away from Boston

"You get what you put in"

Current Employee - Financial Services Professional in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Services Professional in Houston, TX

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great array of competitive insurance products. Non-captive agency which provides more options to service the client. Ongoing in-house sales and product training provided, as well as occasional opportunities to obtain CE Credits to maintain licensure. Uncapped earning potential, particularly after you obtain your FINRA securities licenses. Firm will fund State Insurance License exam fees as well as provide study materials.

Cons

Can be a very lonely career choice. While starting your career, be prepared to give 40 - 50% of your commission to a experienced Advisor while you learn the business for the first 3-6 months. MassMutual does not provide any lead lists. You generate all of your own leads, so if you have a weak network, you have a higher likelihood of failure. If you plan to take any FINRA exams, be prepared to come out of pocket for the Series 7/66 or the 6/63 exams (unlike competing firms) and training materials. "Orphan" clients are generally not provided to new Advisors. 100% commission after your "training year." In-house training is wholly geared towards sales of various Life, Disability, and Annuity Insurance products which is constraining. Investment training is an afterthought and virtually non-existent within the firm although we have the capabilities for brokerage service, individual / group retirement accounts, and managed money "wrap" accounts, which I feel is an squandered opportunity. Career-wise, the trajectory is pretty flat compared to other industries.

Advice to Management

For new hires, the training salary should be a little more competitive. At a minimum there should be parity with rival firms and their respective training "salary." With the rebranded name into "MassMutual Financial Group," we need to take the investment side of the business seriously. By treating the investment side of the business as an afterthought culturally, we are leaving money on the table. New advisors on a 100% commission shouldn't have to dig deeper into their pockets for investment licenses. Encourage all new hires to obtain at least their Series 6/63 licenses within the first 6 months.

7. "Great potential but not there yet."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MA

Pros

Smart and engaged people. It should be a great place to work. Many seasoned professionals who are experts in their respective fields.

Cons

IT is antiquated and often the overall IT strategy is unclear. Strange culture where public celebration of diversity coexists with the old boys club.

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward. Invest in IT. Keep an open mind to new ways of thinking and executing on work.

8. "sales"

Former Contractor - Sales Representative in Denver, CO
    Former Contractor - Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at MassMutual as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

An unlimited cap on your earning potential.

Cons

They charge you for everything.

9. "Great products/ Mediocre management"

Former Contractor - Insurance Producer in White Plains, NY
    Former Contractor - Insurance Producer in White Plains, NY

I worked at MassMutual as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

MassMutual offers a lot of good financial products, as well as having some great people in their compliance department.

Cons

I felt that management was slightly immoral, as well as not really open to do intensive training for one who is not that well versed in the financial services industry. I eventually quit because I thought my manager couldn't really be bothered with me: perhaps he was frustrated by my low skill level.

Advice to Management

Offer more in-depth training to new agents. As well, pair new agents with managers who suit their personality style.

10. "EA"

Pros

Nice working environment and friendly coworker

Cons

Not a lot of growth. Hard to seek promotions