MassMutual Reviews | Glassdoor

MassMutual Reviews

Updated August 15, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work from home option is very flexible (in 15 reviews)

• Great benefits for a statutory W2 emplyee (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Commission only, no base salary or temporary salary while training (in 20 reviews)

• It is 100% commission based, so the beginning can be very difficult to get through (in 25 reviews)

1. "Investment Analyst - Boston"

I worked at MassMutual full-time

Pros

Benefits are very solid +

Cons

Career Growth and opportunities are slow

"The Worst"

I worked at MassMutual full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The day you leave the company will likely be one of the best days of your life.

Cons

The negative views already posted on this site are remarkably accurate. Toxic environment, unethical senior management, and full of middle management duds. A company to avoid unless you have nothing else.

3. "Worst Choice You can ever make!"

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Detroit, MI

I worked at MassMutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None, Nothing great to brag about.

Cons

Most of the people at this particular location were shameless, non caring, non compassionate, lone rangering and self absorbed. No clear leaders, Everyone was out for himself or herself.
    Clear Paranoid Schizophrenia thinking along with power obsessed morons.
    Office Manager is inexperienced.
    There is no clear demand for a Mass Mutual Policy! Probably big reason why they bought MetLife.

Advice to Management

Create A Real Unified Team environment.
    Lead by Example.
    Integrity Training.

5. "Agent"

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Boston, MA

I worked at MassMutual (More than a year)

Pros

If you are seeking a higher opinion of your intelligence and character - no place will provide this better than the cretins of CFG. If you are sick and tired of your employer giving you paychecks - CFG will also solve that ill.

Cons

For those interested in partnering with a captive agency, there are far better choices. The focus of this organization is clearly not in growing a captive agency. If you're looking for a brokerage relationship why consider a captive agency? The promises of resources are mirages. Technology is lacking. Their approach is limited and stifling. MML's product line is weak overall and MLISI is wretched spawn of a broker-dealer birthed in hell. All in all I rate my MassMutual experience as awful. But, ya know... I bet it will be different for you... Right?

Advice to Management

Blow it up. Start over. If an organization is only as rich as the character of its leadership - this place is bankrupt.

"Vindictive, Backstabbing, Unprofessional, Petty,Extreme bias"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ted talks and Fortune 100 compny looks good on your resume. Thats about it.

Cons

Where to start... the team I work on has the most negative, energy sucking, vindictive individuals I had ever worked with. Specifically my supervisor and her favorite employee. She would regularly bad mouth people on the team and speak about personal, confidential information, out loud, to her sidekick (her favorite on the team due this employee's knowledge, because without this individual my supervisor would be SOL). A few of the rest of us are in ear shot so we hear her talk about how she wants to get people fired, how she feels about people's reasons for taking FMLA, or even just sick/personal days. One time, she even questioned an employees bereavement (out loud) when the employees father died. She has pitted team members against each other, and regularly reveasl employees' personal situations to the team, and laughs about it with her sidekick. Also, if you do not have kids, there is no leniency offered to you. She has an extreme bias when it comes to employees with kids vs employees without. Having to leave early, come in late or take personal days are approved with a smile. If you don't have kids she feels there is no reason for personal days or flexibility with your shift. She and her sidekick always have ulterior motives. If they don't like you, they will find a way to turn people against you, specifically your team and management. She is so unprofessional that I cannot believe she is in this position. She has told blatant lies about employees and is extremely petty. The team know it all gets special privledges, comes and goes as she pleases, gets bonuses she doesnt deserve, and mostly because she has 3 kids and the manager would be lost and not survive eithout this employee's help. For the pennies it pays, it's not worth being on such a cheap team. 5 cannot wait to start my new job. Worst experience of my life

Advice to Management

I have seen the best talent leave in the last 6 months due to how this team operates. Get rid of management and employees that act like high schoolers in the workplace. This makes it uncomfortable for everyone. At the very least, I shouldn't know the reasons why or my managers personal feelings in regards to my teammates FMLA.

7. "Great team environment!"

Pros

Friendly, focused employees . Very helpful and supportive of one another. Purposeful work with a lot of variety. Opportunities to use many skill sets, such as presenting, writing, researching, analyzing,promoting and more. Many professional development opportunities,as well.

Cons

Limited remote work or telecommute opportunities. No ability to complete the many aspects of the job that can done anywhere,anywhere. Case management requires a lot of time sensitive paperwork to be regularly done.

Advice to Management

More flexible scheduling opportunities.

8. "Politics, Elitist organization"

I worked at MassMutual full-time

Pros

Strong brand and product suite

Cons

Disconnected, arrogant senior leadership team

Advice to Management

Strong firm name, but so much unhappiness at all staff levels. They need more engagement, stronger partnerships, more listening, and less arrogance (with both internal staff and external business partners) You are unfortunately very unaware of what other business partners are saying outside your walls - it is not good. If you can try and connect more, and allow leadership to "lead", you will see improvements.

9. "Overall a good place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at MassMutual full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some great people working for the organization, and the office atmosphere is enjoyable. Benefits are good though there aren't a lot of options for medical coverage.

Cons

Various departments within the organization do not work together effectively. The expectation is that the rank and file employees hold each other accountable for working as a team, but mid to senior level management fails to hold their counterparts accountable. Company is way behind on technology in some areas.

10. "Pretty good"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible time, and can get a good amount of pay. Also the people who work here are very friendly and will help you with anything you need.

Cons

Have to call people blindly, when having an interview make sure to go through exactly what you have to do on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

None

11. "Depends on Your Job"

Current Employee - Consultant in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Consultant in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good amount of vacation time, a lot of great people working for them, good maturity benefit with a mother's room available, health insurance is okay but what they have currently is worse than what they used to have.

Cons

The departments often don't work collaboratively and there have been a lot of layoffs with many departments... really lacking in IT and technology!!! Unrealistic goals in that regard, and upgrades have gone disastrous. Performance review program has slightly improved but the sales departments are on a curve so there's almost no point in trying to exceed goals. Some departments are cool with working from home, but it's not a company wide privilege.

Advice to Management

Be honest to your employees (as much as possible), support them because the EEs are the company! If someone leaves, support their evolution and don't keep it a secret where everyone they work with doesn't find out until 2 months later.