MassMutual Reviews | Glassdoor

MassMutual Reviews

Updated August 20, 2017

Current Employees

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work from home option is very flexible (in 15 reviews)

• Great benefits for a statutory W2 emplyee (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Commission only, no base salary or temporary salary while training (in 20 reviews)

• It is 100% commission based, so the beginning can be very difficult to get through (in 25 reviews)

"Financial Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MA

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong company with cash on hand and private

Cons

Turnover throughout the company is excessive

Advice to Management

Retain your top talent and pay accordingly, with proper raises year over year. Get rid of the bonuses and just pay a higher salary with raises

2. "great place to work"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in Boston, MA

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

MassMutual has a great culture and incredible people. Good benefits, generous vacation package, flexible work timings.

Cons

Can be extremely fast paced at times.

3. "One of the best companies for Data Scientist"

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great career growth opportunity
    - The team is young so we have less legacy issues so we can try a lot of new technologies
    - Managers understand your work and even any technical details, your contribution is well recognized
    - Work is meaningful and impactful. We can see our work is changing the way we are doing business
    - Very good pay and benefits
    - Helpful and friendly colleagues, form whom I have learned a lot

Cons

It is a little challenging to prioritize works due to the number of projects because all are important and exciting. Therefore, it is a little difficult to achieve good work/life balance. I am glad to see this is changing as we are growing fast and having more resources

4. "Great group, meaningful and impactful work"

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Dynamic and smart group of data scientists and engineers
    - Impactful projects that span the entire company and its subsidiaries
    - Never-ending opportunities to learn and grow on the job

Cons

- The team is busy and growing rapidly. Time management can be difficult at times.

"Financial Services Representative"

I have been working at MassMutual full-time

Pros

MassMutual helps you get there!

Cons

You work for General Agent (GA), who controls your compensation at " GA discretion". Rules can be changed whenever it suits them.

"Not ideal for interns"

Current Employee - Digital Fabric Co-op in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Digital Fabric Co-op in Boston, MA

I have been working at MassMutual part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work/life balance.
    Great location.
    Good benefits.

Cons

Lack of challenging work.
    My team hierarchy was a bit of a mess.

Advice to Management

Make better use of interns.

"Financial rep"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Lake Oswego, OR
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Lake Oswego, OR

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture! Independence, income and impact! You get to help people, have independence to still spend time with your family and make a good living in the process. If you're willing to work hard, you can make great money and feel fulfilled.

Cons

It's hard work for sure. You have to be willing to be coachable, work hard and deal with rejection. If you're willing to do all 3 of these things, you can be very successful but you have to be willing to pay the price for success.

Advice to Management

You have a great culture, product and service that you provide to the community. I would encourage you to continue to teach the young advisors how to get prospect.

8. "Great Company, Great Team"

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Exceptional leadership.
    2. Great track record of helping people secure their futures and protect their loved ones.
    3. Great ongoing training.
    4. Very supportive colleagues.

Cons

I have not encountered a negative in this company. The work is hard, absolutely. The work demands a total commitment in order to be successful. BUT: there are considerable rewards for hard work.

Advice to Management

This company has been around forever. It has consistently moved up the Fortune500 list and resides at #76 right now. I don't have any particular new nuggets of advice. I'd just suggest they keep doing what they're doing.

9. "Financial Service Representative"

Current Employee - Financial Services Professional in Lake Oswego, OR
    Current Employee - Financial Services Professional in Lake Oswego, OR

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

MassMutual-Oregon was crucial in developing me as a professional straight out of college. While it a large company, it feels small in terms of support from the home office as well as the resources at the Lake Oswego location. They have an excellent training program that they stick with - it's not just 2 weeks and they forget about you. It's consistent, everyday development.

The culture is filled with a lot of people who like to WIN - this is a competitive atmosphere where people work hard and there are options to go out and have a good time with coworkers too. Company trips, happy hours in PDX etc...

There is a lot of freedom in the role and with hard work, a large payout. If you are looking into to get into the financial services business or are already experienced and don't feel like you have the things you need to be successful - make MassMutual your 1st choice.

Cons

By becoming a business owner, you'll need to act like a business owner. This means hard work and being accountable for your day in, day out activity. While the rewards are great, nothing comes easy and you have to have a great, positive, mentality when you start.

Advice to Management

Continue to put in your best effort training new reps and continue to support the more experienced producers.

10. "Data Science Development Program (DSDP)"

Current Employee - Data Science Development Program in Amherst, MA
    Current Employee - Data Science Development Program in Amherst, MA

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

DSDP: great for anyone who's serious about building a variety of technical skills, you get to take classes at UMass CICS as a non-degree or Master's student, smaller tightly-knit group located in Amherst, emphasis on mentorship/development, gain business experience from working with a variety of internal MassMutual teams, great pay right out of college, career opportunities available after the 3-year program.

I'm still excited to come to work every day. It has a research lab/startup, rather than a corporate office, vibe. A typical project lasts several months and has a few phases, so you're not stagnating on tasks--I'm constantly learning. I'm given both mentorship and autonomy, and have opportunities to touch all aspects of a data pipeline. The management/senior management is approachable, and my peers are pretty great.

MassMutual in general: good employee benefits (particularly the federal credit union, life insurance obviously), accessible and helpful HR, a variety of interesting problems that need solving

Cons

Don't love the high deductible health plan options