MassMutual Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
MassMutual Chairman, President, and CEO Roger W. Crandall
Roger W. Crandall

Pros
  • Great work environment, supportive mentors, highly recommend this internship opportunity if offered (in 29 reviews)

• Stable Company, good benefits if you take advantage of them (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Commission only, no base salary or temporary salary while training (in 19 reviews)

• It is 100% commission based, so the beginning can be very difficult to get through (in 23 reviews)

1. "Great Company, Great Team"

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Exceptional leadership.
    2. Great track record of helping people secure their futures and protect their loved ones.
    3. Great ongoing training.
    4. Very supportive colleagues.

Cons

I have not encountered a negative in this company. The work is hard, absolutely. The work demands a total commitment in order to be successful. BUT: there are considerable rewards for hard work.

Advice to Management

This company has been around forever. It has consistently moved up the Fortune500 list and resides at #76 right now. I don't have any particular new nuggets of advice. I'd just suggest they keep doing what they're doing.

"Executive Assistant"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at MassMutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*Commuter Benefits ($80/month).
    *Good Location, centralized to everything in SF.

Cons

*The SF location was stuffy, cold (unfriendly) work environment.
    *Fridge was always filthy, coffee machine/maker was always broken.
    *New faces every week (and not just the agents), the girl at the front desk was told to scrub the carpet that one of the agents spilled their coffee all over (she put in her notice a week later). Total of 3 different front desk people within 1 year of working there.
    *Low pay for SF standards!

I worked for an agent who had their own internal insurance company under MM and just moved over from another insurance agency. On my first day, I learned another assistant was planning to go on temporary leave. As I continued working there I began to realize that I was hired under false pretenses meaning I was not told so but was really hired as "temporary coverage" to help them transition from this other insurance agency and to eventually cover for this assistant in the near future. I also started to question if my boss really needed two assistants for the long run. When I mentioned this I was reassured and was told that my position would actually grow. After a few months, I found it odd that my boss wouldn't put me under their own company's payroll as the other employees were but instead was kept under MM's. Despite all the warning signs early on, I genuinely wanted to learn the business and I wasn't a quitter. So I pushed aside all the red flags that continued to follow.

I started covering for the other assistant long before they went on leave as this person was almost always out of the office. I also knew they made a considerable higher salary than me and naturally felt I should be fairly compensated for it. After discussion, I was told I would receive a temporary monthly bonus for the months covering and that I'd have all the resources needed to do so. Even though after one month this increase was not being delivered as promised, I continued to do my best to deliver as promised. I jumped through hoops trying to do everything right and succeeding in many; however, reaching out to one of the main resources, was like sending requests into a black hole. It was part of my job to be in constant contact with this individual. Whenever they did respond they were always either rude and brief or mixing up case info when referencing. This of course made me look like I wasn't doing my job and always backfired on me.
    It also didn't help that my boss was the passive aggressive type making it very difficult to communicate with. Recognition was slim to none. I worked after hours as needed using my own cell phone/computer without a typical reimbursement. I even put aside taking family leave to attend a funeral after a close family member passed away because I was dedicated to being there during a busy time. The stress of this job started effecting me outside of work and had finally decided I'd had enough. Not to mention, my Christmas bonus was a laughable $100 from my boss who was one of the top producers making $$$ and of course MM did not award anything. Having worked several years prior as an EA, I've never experienced such a negative working environment, boss, and lack of compensation.

Coincidentally, the day I got let go was also the week I was planning to put in my notice. It was also a week before the other assistant was set to return from leave so although I was planning to quit, this confirmed my theory of being hired under false pretenses. Silly me was trying to be nice and not leave my boss hanging meanwhile they had a hidden agenda to fire me a week before she was set to return. To add to insult, I never saw a penny in monthly pay increase as promised (Boss had no integrity). I've always had a solid work track record, never been let go and held many excellent relationships with my previous bosses. I know I did the best I could and realized they simply didn't value nor deserve me as an employee. A big mistake on my end was not getting everything in writing (pay increase, bonus...etc) and not putting in my notice sooner.

My Advice: If you value yourself as a dedicated, hard working EA with a strong work ethic: Do not work for Etonway Financial at MM SF.

3. "Summer Finance Internship"

Former Intern - Part Time Assistant Manager in Oakland, CA
    Former Intern - Part Time Assistant Manager in Oakland, CA

I worked at MassMutual as an intern (More than 3 years)

Pros

-exposure to the insurance industry and being exposed to how a corporation operates. Learned alot about sales techniques and negotiation strategies. Gained a lot of insight from many successful insurance agents. Great place to learn fast and take the most information you can from meetings to individually improve yourself and skill-set.

Cons

Could have been more hands on in terms of dealing with client information. only dealt this data entry, and regular clerical administrative support. Felt like i could have done alot more when i interned there but there was just not enough time

Advice to Management

Keep a closer knit with you interns and show them the ropes of how to close sales and ultimately become a more confident and successful businessman.

5. "Financial Advisor"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at MassMutual full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of upward mobility. very flexible and allows for a very independent work environment. Many people are very smart. Great access to great insurance products.

Cons

The balance of insurance to investments is very much titled towards insurance. You often are asked to present yourself as a Financial Advisor, when in fact it's a insurance sales position. It can feel disingenuous.

6. "Administrative Staff"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

Pros

Great office culture! I enjoy coming into work every morning and working alongside happy, friendly people!

Cons

No cons, I love my job.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. I always look forward to off site team building events!

7. "Financial Services Professional"

Former Contractor - Financial Services Professional in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Financial Services Professional in San Francisco, CA

I worked at MassMutual as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Depends on the agency, very easy to have a work-life balance if you can have self discipline. Training is top notch and can easily separate you from other insurance agents. A place where you can build a true career with unlimited income potential to retire on with at least two years to invest in your practice.

Cons

If they didnt make it clear at the forefront, having a consistent income will take time. At least a year to have steady business. You must have a strong determination to succeed or you will waste time, money, and effort. If you've been in sales, the concept of the " numbers game" definitely applies in this industry. Most everything office supply related comes at your own cost. You are encouraged to join networking groups, ie; Chamber of commerce, BNI, LeTip but I wouldn't throw down the cash until you have decided you aren't going to look back.

Advice to Management

Be able to read what type of entrepreneur the person is. Some need more guidance than others especially if changing careers and/or industries.

"Great management team, great sales training, incredibly difficult business"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at MassMutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best of breed sales training.
    Gorgeous downtown office.
    Fantastic management team.
    Great upside financial potential.

Cons

Sink or swim mentality.
    All out-bounding / cold calling at first.
    No base salary, all commission based.
    Very easy to feel overwhelmed at first.

Advice to Management

Spend more time ramping your reps. Reduce turn-over by being more selective with who you hire, give them more runway (base salary), utilize other tools to help them build a pipeline from day one. The "friend and family" pipeline is inherently uncomfortable to most.

9. "Intern/Financial Services Professional"

Current Intern - Financial Services Professional in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Intern - Financial Services Professional in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at MassMutual as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The company culture is fantastic! Every member-from the general agent to the compliance officer--are wonderful to work with. There is absolutely no feeling of pressure here (see con). I feel like I'm amongst friends and good acquaintances who are more than happy to guide me through tough processes. My mentor, who is a successful agent, has provided me with indispensable insight for succeeding in the industry. The kind of support you get at this company is priceless. I've also gained a tremendous amount of transferable skill sets and work experience.

Cons

This is a low-pressure environment, which for me, is a con since I thrive under pressure. You receive strictly commission-based pay, which may make it or break it for you. If you're well established with about a year's or two worth of living expenses, then you can make this experience very well worth it. HOWEVER, if you're a brand new financial services professional or advisor, then this job may not be suitable--especially if you're self-supporting.

I would have rated my experience "5 stars" if the position was more welcoming to entry-level candidates, but that's the nature of the beast. Budding financial advisers have a challenging time, but you get that with any company with which you're affiliated. Note that I'm not rating the company itself--I'm rating the position for entry-level candidates.

Bottom-line: Understand what it really means to be paid solely on commission.

Advice to Management

I wouldn't change anything about the management structure.

"Good company for ambitious people"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You have a flexible schedule and everything you produce is on you. You truly have to earn it. Training received is very strong. Techniques for referral generation are very effective. There is no limit to how much you can make. You truly get to help people make good financial decisions.

Cons

VERY difficult to get your practice off the ground when starting. Helps to have a network already in place. no salary, so you have to produce in order to receive supplements and bonuses. Not for shy people, you have to be hungry and willing to push your comfort zones.

Advice to Management

there is no set management structure and managers come and go jsut like agents. Otherwise they provide good training and sales support. They usually start out as being top producers so they have insight into how they can help.

11. "Great for Macro Financial Planning, Doesn't Pigeon-Hole Clients into Investments Only"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

From the outset, I have been most impressed with the quality of people in this organization. The advisors here truly care about their clients and give advice freely. I've never seen that until I came to MassMutual.

Cons

If you aren't ready to run a business and the risks associated with it, don't join.

Advice to Management

Keep continuing with the mentorship programs. Have more bonding events for new hires.