Massachusetts General Hospital Reviews in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

Massachusetts General Hospital President Peter L. Slavin
Peter L. Slavin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance in some position (in 14 reviews)

• not a permanent position, low salary (in 24 reviews)

1. "Laboratory Technician I"

Current Employee - Lab Technician in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Lab Technician in Boston, MA

I have been working at Massachusetts General Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cutting edge technologies, flexible hours, great health insurance packages

Cons

Your experience is determined largely by your PI.

2. "Review of working at MGH"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Massachusetts General Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work with some of the brightest minds in the country, great benefits.

Cons

Difficult promotion system for non-physicians.

Advice to Management

Develop a system to show non-physicians they are valued either via title changes, more competitive salaries, etc.

3. "MGH"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

Extremely patient focused organization. The people are incredible and very innovative.

Cons

Much of what happens in health care and at MGH occurs in silos; better collaboration and communication in all aspects would be useful.

4. "Clinical Research Coordinator II - MGH"

Current Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator II in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator II in Boston, MA

Pros

Great work environment. Lots of opportunities to make connections

Cons

Underpaying entry-level employees - Boston is an expensive city, and it takes an hour to commute from affordable living areas on a salary of $40K or lower (plus student loans!)

5. "Best research in the world"

Former Employee - Research Technician in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Research Technician in Boston, MA

I worked at Massachusetts General Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing team to work with, incredible and the world's best hospital. Meaningful work, highly challenging research problems to tackle. Very rewarding working here.

Cons

Hard to manage work life balance here because of our nature of the work, research funding is always a challenge, high pressure to deliver, fast paced and long hours means you are chronically tired and overworked.

Advice to Management

Continue ringing the next generation of clinicians and researchers in, continue the standard of excellence and serving the public and greater good and healing people. Amazing place to work.

6. "RN Staff Nurse"

Current Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Boston, MA

Pros

Resource rich environment, excellent interdisciplinary work, opportunities for lateral moves and professional development. Hires many new RNs. Policies and procedures are updated frequently creating a safe work environment.

Cons

Compensation is less than many other hospitals in Boston. Lack of a union may add to this compensation disparity, but market adjustments have been added almost yearly to make this less severe.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to see more done to retain RNs in their positions with respect to compensation, though it must be said that the management is quite good and the working environment is excellent given the difficult patient populations.

7. "Overworked, underpaid, short staffed, management doesn't care"

Current Employee - Respiratory Therapist in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Respiratory Therapist in Boston, MA

I have been working at Massachusetts General Hospital full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I am proud of my job. I get a lot of satisfaction working at the bedside. I am lucky enough to be grandfathered into a pension. That's it.

Cons

Our raises do not keep up with inflation. Management doesn't care about us. Very strict sick policy. There is literally no incentives to work more, better, or harder. We have insanely heavy work loads. There is no systematic method of advancement, just what appears to be favoritism.

Advice to Management

Thank your employees. This may sound crazy but offer to help once in a while rather than sit in an office all the time. Advocate for our working conditions and better raises.

8. "Not a Good Fit"

Former Contractor - Executive Administrative Assistant in Charlestown, MA
    Former Contractor - Executive Administrative Assistant in Charlestown, MA

I worked at Massachusetts General Hospital as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I was able to work part-time and got a high hourly rate.

Cons

The managing physician had such a big head that I am surprised his neck could support it. Unless you are a physician, you command no respect from management and co-workers alike. Also, there was no training really and I was treated as though I was full-time.

Advice to Management

Respect your staff.

9. "Clinical Research Coordinator"

Former Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in Boston, MA

I worked at Massachusetts General Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working among wonderful people with great talent, fulfilling work

Cons

Can be very fast paced with long hours at times, which is exciting, but tiring as well.

10. "Amazing place to learn and start your career."

Former Employee - Radiologic Technologist in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Radiologic Technologist in Boston, MA

I worked at Massachusetts General Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This review is from the perspective of a Radiologic Technologist:

People from all over the world go to MGH for a reason and its name truly speaks for itself. One has a lot of pride being a part of Mass general. As someone in the allied health field there is a clear difference from working in a community hospital and at a top-tier academic and research institution. MGH is the benchmark. If you are starting your career at MGH, the name alone will simply turn heads and perk ears.

Cons

The mid / end portion of one's career may show a different perspective. It is very flashy, cool and fun to work in Boston; not so much to commute and get into Boston. If you live in the city it is perfect. Living elsewhere can be a hassle. Additionally, some people eventually want to coast and have a low stress job. If you are looking for low stress and "auto pilot mode", I would advise to look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Although difficult, try to emphasize that there can be a future beyond the technologist for everyone and not just select people.