Massage Envy Administrative Assistant Reviews | Glassdoor

1 Rating

1. "Family oriented"

Former Employee - Assistant Clinic Administrator in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Assistant Clinic Administrator in Louisville, KY

I worked at Massage Envy (More than a year)

Pros

Work with your schedule
    Bonus incentives
    Solid team
    Room for growth/promotions

Cons

Family owned, and managers are related so if something is going on, its hard to get ahold of anyone.

Advice to Management

Be more willing to accommodate employees vs clients. I was talked to terribly on more than one occasion with no action taken against the client.

2. "Lead Front Desk Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Junior Assistant Clinic Administrator

I have been working at Massage Envy (More than 3 years)

Pros

flexible hours and great entry level position to gain experience

Cons

As a front desk you are required to do so much. The pay should be more than what it is.

3. "Massage Envy Review"

Former Employee - Assistant Clinic Administrator in Aurora, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Clinic Administrator in Aurora, IL

I worked at Massage Envy (Less than a year)

Pros

Great organization to work for, very team orientated.

Cons

Some issues with work life balance depending on position held

"Disorganized corporate sales position"

Former Employee - Assistant Clinic Administrator

I worked at Massage Envy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The only pro to working here beyond any other office admin or retail job was the discount on massages.

Cons

- Being encouraged to sell year-long memberships to people you know didn't appreciate the commitment of the contract and the cancellation terms just to meet your goals.
    - Low pay for massage therapists and front desk associates.
    - Disorganized management and lack of accountability from owners.

"Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Clinic Administrator

I worked at Massage Envy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They have flexible hours. Once you learn the job its pretty easy. If you are looking for a place to just get a paycheck while your other personal goals (college, career) take off this is definitely the place.

Cons

Really low pay. If you have an owner that doesn't know what they are doing, you are screwed. Corporate policy are absolutely the worst and they provide no support when clients have issues, they leave you hanging but yet tell you that you have no choice but to follow the crappy policies they have created.The brand itself has a very poor reputation. No benefits and they are always trying to find ways to pay you less and make you do more.

Advice to Management

Managers are powerless if the owners are awful. My advice would be for corporate, they need to intervene more and they need to create better business practices.

7. "Pushy, sleazy sales job"

Current Employee - Junior Assistant Clinic Administrator

I have been working at Massage Envy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good concept, enjoy helping people, good option if you can not find anything else, some owners are great

Cons

Sleazy, hard and pushy sales required. You have to try and convince people who don't want or need a membership to get a membership. If someone says no, you are then forced to ask them why and continue to try and "save the sale" and ask try to convince them that their children will be better off because you're taking care of you, or that the benefits of monthly massage are something they "need". Some people don't want it, some people can't afford it, they shouldn't be made to feel like they are in an awkward and ambushed position, right after getting a good relaxing hour to themselves. I had one client actually tell me that the sales pitch the OWNER forced on her ruined all of the relaxation from the massage, and she felt so shamed and awkward she agreed to the membership, just to get out of the building, and called in to cancel an hour later
    All of this leads to REALLY high turn over rates

Advice to Management

Don't force people to buy a membership if they don't want to, increase the commission from $10 an hour to a percentage, most commission based sales jobs pay anywhere from 15% to 25%. Even if you made it 10%, at 750.00 a year, that would be $75 in commission. If you want people to make a hard sale, make it worth their while, and get rid of the pushy sales script. It's really awkward and really outdated and bad. And can really stress people out after a massage, as well as really stress out the person making the sale because (at least where I work) you really only get a week to show that you're catching on and able to make sales! Otherwise, you're out the door!

"Okay company, terrible pay"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Coon Rapids, MN
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Coon Rapids, MN

I worked at Massage Envy full-time

Pros

They made you feel welcome and want to be a part of the team. If you didn't have experience they ensured you that they would train.

Cons

They took advantage of employees who were in delicate financial situations by offering them wages that were significantly below market level. Employees often accepted because of desperation.

Advice to Management

That If you test your employees better and compensate them fairly then there wouldn't be such a high turnover rate.

9. "Franchise owners have say"

Former Employee - Assistant Clinic Administrator/Interim Clinic Administrator in Midland, TX

I worked at Massage Envy (Less than a year)

Pros

Massage bonuses and membership bonuses, Manager can get pay bonuses depending on franchisee. Hours for staff can be flexible.

Cons

As a manager long hours and depending on franchisee...not competitive compensation.

"ACA"

Current Employee - Assistant Clinic Administrator
    Current Employee - Assistant Clinic Administrator

I have been working at Massage Envy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy job as long as you go to work and do your job and stay out of all the drama locations nationwide so if you move you can easily transfer

Cons

Money isn't very good not everyone wants a membership and employees should not have to pay the price when the store is in a terrible location when they are trying the best they can

Advice to Management

Pay better or expect less I spend way to much time giving my all to a company who doesn't give me enough in return

11. "Nice people, but unorganized and dysfunctional"

Former Employee - Junior Assistant Clinic Administrator in Grandville, MI
    Former Employee - Junior Assistant Clinic Administrator in Grandville, MI

Pros

I only went through the interview process before I decided this wasn't the company to me, but pros seem to be free facials/massages each month.

Cons

I suppose it depends on the location but the one in particular I went to had a clinic administrator who talked negatively about each and every employee during my interview alone. I thought this was a bit unprofessional but still went forward and gave it a shot, I attended a meeting and got a further look at how a lot of the clinics in the same region as this one suffered from the same problems.

Advice to Management

Have more strict policies in place and if you have to fire someone then do it, the owners can come in and work until the position is filled, makes no sense to have a crappy employee working for you just because you don't have enough staff.....