Massage Envy Reviews

Updated May 15, 2021

3.5
Massage Envy CEO Beth Stiller
Beth Stiller
Pros
  • "Flexible schedule for college students(in 328 reviews)

• "Always Booked and lots of training(in 185 reviews)

• Cons
  • "No benefits or opportunities for growth(in 150 reviews)

• "It’s like a mill cranking massages out back to back(in 123 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Massage Envy and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Rewarding

May 15, 2021 - General Manager in Mount Pleasant, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Positive culture, great benefits (vary per franchisee location) such as; health benefits/pto/free monthly service/commission/bonus, growth opportunities (started as a Wellness Advisor and became a Manager), flexible scheduling and open communication.

Cons

I don't personally have any. My only advice: who you work for matters! Make sure to ask what their personal location's values are and expectations of their employees. They are not all the same and vary by franchised location.

2. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Mostly Cons, a couple of Pros for New Grads

May 12, 2021 - Licensed Massage Therapist in Hampton, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The best way to become a skilled therapist is doing the work, and you will get plenty of work here. You will learn how to deal with just about any kind of client imaginable. There is a lot of opportunity to learn through doing. I loved my fellow MTs and most of the front desk people.

Cons

The pay is terrible. The "selling membership" model creates a lot of hostility and bad feelings from clients. The front desk people are paid even worse than therapists, endure a lot of abuse, and consequently turnover is high and morale horrible for them which makes life difficult for everyone especially therapists. Each location is franchised and quality can vary WILDLY from place to place. ME likes to crow about the "code of conduct" but then tacitly encourage ignoring the rules given in order to cram more clients in. Bad therapists stay forever, the good ones move on to better things quickly.

3. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Clean environment

Apr 18, 2021 - Massage Therapist in Lancaster, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The owners were there on a daily basis to assist with day-to-day transactions and kept all the massage rooms and break room clean. Everyone at this location was very friendly and enjoyable to work with. I am happy to have worked at this location. They even had an electric massage chair in the break room for the therapists to use during their break time. The owners supplied each therapist with an assigned locker and key while they kept a spare key for each employee's locker. The owners had periodical staff meetings and they often provided snacks for the massage therapists and other staff members. The owners and manager clearly cared for their clients and their employees. Ann, Charles, and their son Charles are lovely people and it was a pleasure to have known them.

Cons

1. Pay was on the lower end. 2. Although the parking is ample, the location is not very safe.

4. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

You're Worth More Than This

May 3, 2021 - Front Desk Associate; Sales Representative in Winter Garden, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Some (not all) of the Therapists are amazing workers and people.

Cons

No Health, PTO, or other major benefits offered. Does not pay what you are worth nor for the heavy amount of work expected. VERY HIGH turnover rate of people being hired and quitting due to VERY LOW pay plus the heavy amount of work to be done. "Commision" is barely made and it is always your fault though you do a "perfect job and that's how I would have pitched" statement from management. Expects Full Time availability (32-40hrs) though it is only considered Part Time. Owners can really care less about Front Desk staff opinions and makes you feel less than. Shows in the pay, false promise of raise after 90 days, and work load. Working by yourself though it has only been a few weeks from start date in a Top 10 busiest location in the region. Owners and Regional will scoff at suggestions to help make things better and then does it months later making it "their" idea. Mostly incompetent and doesn't value a great worker.

Massage Envy Response

Thank you for your review and for alerting us to these issues. On behalf of Massage Envy Franchising, our sincere apologies that your experience as an employee in a Massage Envy franchised location didn't leave you with a positive impression. Please know that hiring criteria, benefits, and compensation are set by each individually owned and operated franchised location and can vary from location to location. As a whole, we believe franchisees aim to deliver on the Massage Envy brand promise and it sounds like you did not feel that promise during your time of employment. We will share your review with the franchisee. Thanks again.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee

Fabulous location, great management team

May 8, 2021 - Licensed Massage Therapist in Aliso Viejo, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Owners and management can make or break your experience with a company, and this locations has a fantastic management team! I also love that you're not required to work more hours than you want. And my schedule is consistently fully booked.

Cons

Couldn't get Sundays off even though it was my husband's only day off. You're expected to make up any vacation days that you take - if people are requesting excessive amounts of time off this makes sense but being asked to makeup any and all days off is unreasonable imo.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee

Positive atmosphere, great pay, valued

Apr 28, 2021 - Esthetician in Palm Coast, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Massage Envy in Palm Coast is the best job I’ve ever had! Most importantly you feel like a valued member in a positive environment. The compensation is above average with regular bonuses & amazing work life balance! The front desk is so helpful and goes above and beyond to keep the clinic running smoothly. Management is on top of everything and issues are handled immediately. Drama Free. They support your education and are constantly offering free courses. I have been an esthetician for 6 years and have been with massage envy for 4 of them at two different locations and the Palm Coast location exceeds all expectations of any franchised location in the industry!! The owners at this location CARE about the success of your career, and want everyone on their team to be winning!

Cons

I really don’t have any

7. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Individually owned locations, clinics will vary!

Apr 25, 2021 - Licensed Massage Therapist in Menifee, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

My location's management is very good. They are helpful and treat employees very well and fairly. They genuinely care about their employees, which is refreshing. The clinic is large and clean with a sizeable break room. The work environment and culture is positive and very comfortable. Very nice place to work, love the people. Hours are pretty flexible depending on how much you want to work.

Cons

Your experience with your workplace will depend on that specific clinic because they are independently owned. Culture, pay, schedule requirements, etc will all vary. There is A LOT of room for variation in how the clinic is ran by the owners. There is a decent amount of pressure placed on sales and upselling. Occassionally communication has been lacking and could be improved upon. Yearly reviews/possible raises are usually very behind. Compensation is average, advancements in pay are relatively slow/low.

8. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Repetitive Stress Injury Inc.

May 15, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Asheville, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Helping people feel better and getting paid for it

Cons

One of the owners told me my repetitive stress injury “wasn’t from tripping over a box” so I didn’t qualify for workers compensation benefits though the company. Total BS. Nc state law says you have to file with the state before 30 days or you can’t get your injury covered, so basically I never got better and had to change careers. Typical capitalist Corporation that underpays and chews you out when you’re broken from being abused for profit. 15 bucks an hour wage when they charge 90 to guests. Oh, and they play the same exact loop of music all day long, 365 days a year and the rooms are at least 80 degrees at 8AM in the summer.

9. 3.0

Massage Therapist Position Review

May 6, 2021 - Massage Therapist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible Schedule , Paid CEUs , One free massage/facial per month for full-time employees , employee discount on products (skincare , aromatherapy etc) Good for starting off your massage therapy career to learn. Most up-scale spas wont take you if you just have 1-2 years of practicing under your belt.

Cons

Raises are hard to achieve, they want you to sell X amount of Enhancements or sell X amount of memberships to new/returning members within a month. (the number is ridiculous at times. No breaks in between clients , you are basically working back to back like a machine. (although because of covid we have been given 15min cleaning windows after every client to sanitize the rooms) The free monthly massage/facial service does not roll over to the next month , basically if you don't use it - you lose it. These are subject to change depending on the franchise owner and management im going based on the massage envy that work in NJ

10. 5.0

Location Specific Review

May 1, 2021 - Licensed Massage Therapist in Palm Coast, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Family owned franchise. The owners of this location are actually pretty amazing. They care about us not just as employees but real people with real lives. I definitely don't feel like just another worker here. They are constantly trying to improve and ask our opinions about things and really listen and take our concerns and suggestions into consideration. *again....this is a location specific review....I have worked at another location with a different owner and did NOT have the same experience!

Cons

We're short staffed. We have more clients than therapists right now. It's still a franchise.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 4,480 Reviews