Massage Envy Reviews

Consulting

21d

a

Manager

Does anyone in the DC area (Northern VA suburbs) have a good massage therapist/studio you’d recommend? I’ve had a Massage Envy membership for about 10 years, and even though there have been improvements over the years (online booking, more locations, etc.), it’s getting harder and harder to find availability with the good massage therapists, and service is mediocre at best.

7 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Flexible schedule and clientele plus(in 205 reviews)
  • "It is a great cause and some of the people are great.(in 204 reviews)
  • "The hours are flexible you can always pick up shifts that way you have more than what you're scheduled(in 195 reviews)
  • "I have great coworkers and we have a lot of fun at the front desk.(in 165 reviews)
  • "Free Massages and Facials... Getting to know the therapists and front staff... Discounts on products(in 148 reviews)
Cons
  • "Low pay and not super busy(in 552 reviews)
  • "Poor management and they dont care about their employees or their clients(in 427 reviews)
  • "No benefits and they are always trying to find ways to pay you less and make you do more.(in 198 reviews)
  • "Managers act unprofessional and disrespectful.(in 136 reviews)
  • "If you are sick or want a vacation you are taking that time off without pay.(in 60 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Massage Envy and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great work environment with opportunities

May 24, 2022 - Assistant Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible hours, good pay with incentives. The work environment is also really great, always positive, fun to work with everyone around the holidays!

Cons

none that comes to mind

2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

It can be really good if you understand what it is

Apr 6, 2022 - Licensed Massage Therapist in Olathe, KS
    Business Outlook

Pros

For context, I work at the South Olathe, KS location so some of comments might not apply to all locations. 1.) Generally you can set your own hours, including the amount of massages in a row before you need a break 2.) Clients are generally courteous and respectful and most of them tip well 3.) You don't have to wash sheets on location - they have a service 4.) You get paid a small bonus for working evening and weekend hours.

Cons

1.) You can't practice any kind of bodywork you want - it had to fit within certain modalities and be practiced in a way Massage Envy deems "professional" enough for their brand. 2.) Although you can now ask for 15 min breaks between appointments at this location (since Covid), by default there is no time scheduled between appointments so it's very easy to fall behind. 3.) Because Massage Envy is a franchise, they want things like enhancements or stretch sessions to follow a specific formula with specific steps so that clients get the same experience at every location. They are not encouraging you to add your own individual flair as much as they are encouraging you to be an ambassador and spokesperson of the brand.

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Excellent Work Environment

Apr 24, 2022 - Front Desk Associate in Fort Wayne, IN
    Business Outlook

Pros

I started working at Massage Envy after a very difficult situation at another job. At my previous job I had a rather hard time with the management as well as other co-workers, in all honesty it made it difficult for me to even apply for another job. My younger sister is employed by Massage Envy as a massage therapist, and I had noticed they were hiring so I asked her if she could get me information on it. Long story short I started at a different clinic than her and so far I'm in love with it. My second day on the job I had to stop and silently cry to myself because of how happy I was, my manager and co-workers have been amazing. The only negative that I've had has just been meeting goals, it's not hard, but sometimes I feel pressured and unable to meet my goals.

Cons

It is a sales environment, which is sometimes unfortunate, you are expected to sell and reach goals related to sales. It is not awful, and the help you receive is amazing, I just don’t like it being a big focus.

4. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Experience Required. Don't expect full training.

May 4, 2022 - Licensed Esthetician in Fort Wayne, IN
    Business Outlook

Pros

If you are experienced, you'll be just fine. Some locations are more loving than others. If I had been hired into a different location, the problems that I ran into wouldn't have existed.

Cons

Once I was finished with the required training, they gave extremely little instruction. I have zero experience in this field as is and was given no direction or training on the computer or logistics of anything. I was given a binder and an email address to check daily for "weekly" updates (while I was there it was not exactly weekly, as I was hired and almost immediately all management went on vacation, that but it could be better now).

5. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Wouldn't do it again~

Apr 10, 2022 - Front Desk Agent in West Melbourne, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Discounted service, made good friends

Cons

Management, management, management, pay, horrid communication

6. 5.0

Great place to work

Apr 29, 2022 - Licensed Massage Therapist
    Business Outlook

Pros

-I make My own hours -I get Bonus pay for upgrades and requests -I don't have to do laundry -I can put breaks in my schedule if I want -I’m a mom of 3 so weekend and night hours are very important to me and they are open 7 days a week and have late hours -Also being a mom of 3 they are very accommodating with switching my hours in advance around my kids school -I come in, do my job and get to leave. No doing extra things like smaller spas -We have a spa back most days to even help up clean and flip tables in between clients -The entire staff is amazing and I love coming into work each and every shift. -The clientele is just as amazing -We are so busy that you will get booked for every hour you are there if wanted.

Cons

Pay is less than other places. But not much once you start getting requests and upgrades.

7. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Day in a life

May 14, 2022 - Esthetician
    Business Outlook

Pros

Education is always there Some franchises you can move up to a lead esthetician. Calls come in to help you get booked Commission structure

Cons

Depending on how business the location is you could me earning minimum wage + bonuses for some months before you earn your commission rate. Front desk Turn over is high so many times your support of calls coming in is low and mistakes can be made often Management makes a world of a difference when it comes to culture!

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Supportive Creative Environment

Apr 26, 2022 - Licensed Massage Therapist
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have been and am currently employed for the last 3 1/2 years at this Massage Envy Vero Beach location. This is the best employment opportunity and experience I have had as a massage therapist. From the owner, managers, front desk associates and spa attendants this is a supportive, cohesive, uplifting work environment. On a daily basis I look forward to going to work as the owner and management strive to take the 'work' out of going to work and this allows me to freely focus on my intent with my clients and has helped me to be the best therapist I can be every day. I highly recommend this particular location if you are seeking a happy and healthy home away from home with a loving work 'family' as you continue thriving as a massage therapist.

Cons

None to speak of. Any "issues" that may arise in any work environment are immediately addressed and solutions found and implemented

9. 4.0

Lmt

May 23, 2022 - Licensed Massage Therapist in Orlando, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Everything is supposed to be supplied. Mechanical tables

Cons

Pay should be higher, 40% would be great.

10. 5.0
    Former Employee

Good job for college student

May 23, 2022 - Front Desk Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

job has a flexible schedule

Cons

the job has low pay

Viewing 1 - 10 of 5,334 Reviews

Massage Envy Reviews FAQs

Massage Envy has an overall rating of 3.5 out of 5, based on over 5,400 reviews left anonymously by employees. 63% of employees would recommend working at Massage Envy to a friend and 53% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.