Massage Green Reviews | Glassdoor

Allie Mallad

1. "Good starting job"

Former Employee - Massage Therapist in Colton, CA
    Former Employee - Massage Therapist in Colton, CA

I worked at Massage Green part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-I need a job and knew the manager so I was hired spot on.
    -rooms were spacious except the couples room
    -was allowed to use the sauna
    -Pay was an ok 15$ a massage... but made great tips off of my regulars.
    -Most of the employees were very nice and had good work ethics

Cons

-Spa location was not busy( which wasnt good esp since I lived 45 min away)
    -Was expected to take a lot of breaks if you were not busy with massages.
    -everyone must record soap notes which was time consuming. Most therapist forgot which would result in a "write up".
    -everyone fought over the ac/heat which left most of us freezing or hot during the massage.

"Don't work here if you want a real Career."

Former Employee - Store Manager in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Detroit, MI

Pros

Employee discount on massages.
    Meeting good people.
    Promoted quickly/decent pay.

Cons

This company does not value their employees.
    You only get benefits if you are full time employee and have been with the company for a year. If you happen to switch stores or they close a store without warning (which they do) you have to start your benefits all over again.
     You only get to use 40 hours of PTO a year. A YEAR. And its paid out at minimum wage for the year you accumulated at (as a therapist.)
    You can get promoted easily, but you have NO guarantee of a job and they will demote you in a heartbeat if it saves them money.
    They close down stores without telling employees or clients within a DAY. As in, you show up for work and they have a Uhaul taking everything out of the store.
    A majority of customer complaints that get sent or called into Corporate never get resolved, leaving upset clients calling the stores to complain to Managers since Corporate never got back in touch with them. Because they only have about 3 people handling ALL complaints.
    The turnover rate is some of the highest I have ever witnessed with a Company. Managers, employees, therapists often walk off the job.
    Managers often do not get paid for overtime hours about 80% of the time.
    This company is extremely business and non personal. Most of the decisions made have to do with saving the company money, regardless if it if means putting people out of jobs or taking benefits away from them.
    Even if you as an employee at the store are on top of Inventory, supplies run out and you may have to pay out of pocket for supplies for your store or just not have anything until someone can bring it to you.
    A lot of lies are told, making you feel like a good employee, but in the long run, they don't really care about people individually.

Advice to Management

Closing/shutting down stores without telling people is not a good way to run a company. It is shady. You are messing with peoples lives.

"Back in the day..."

Former Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Carlsbad, CA

Pros

Pros,pros, pros... hmm pros. It is by the beach and a great sushi place. The 2nd store manager really pulled through for the company and employees the best she could, despite all the stuff that she had stacked against her. I felt when I left that the employees there had at least a small chance of not being utterly destroyed with her around.

Cons

Shall we list the ways? They lied about the pay. They miss managed every aspect of that company from scheduals, to resources. If you get labeled a "trouble maker" you will not be promoted, given hours, or even considered a raise. If you report anything, including sexual harassment, especially more then once, you are labeled a trouble maker. They expect you to properly work even if you don't have the supplies that they say they will provide! In the mean time the decent management/ leads are caught in the middle trying to do and get others to do what is required of them, but without the resources! To the owner of the store it is all about the almighty dollar in the end. They consider employees as a resource, and they treat them like that.

Advice to Management

Don't hire managers who are: incompetent, chauvinists, untrained, bigoted and abusive, even if your desperate. Don't keep people that are thieves, liars and slackers. And finally, you get what you accept and pay for, so pay well. I hope for your sake you have changed your company for the better in the last 3 years.

5. "Starter Job not a Career"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Allen Park, MI
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Allen Park, MI

Pros

*** Employees become like family, Make your own Schedule, can makeup hours missed,

Cons

*** unorganized, No real company policy, No advancement, Often working alone to do job that needs a least two, Never know what will change daily!

Advice to Management

** Don't stress yourself out, Reaching goals will not mean you are recognized for them

6. "Massage Therapist"

Former Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Madison Heights, MI
    Former Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Madison Heights, MI

I worked at Massage Green full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There aren't many pro's to working at Green. They consistently change your rate of pay, they lie about bonuses, and usually the managers are fairly rude and disrespectful.

Cons

The pay is definitely a con. The cleanliness of the buildings are a con, and the clientele you get are cheap because they're only getting a service for $30 - which means you don't get tipped well.

Advice to Management

Honestly, this company needs to reassess everything about themselves. It has a good idea, but a really poor execution. IT will be interesting to see how it lasts...

7. "Vacation time was impossible"

Former Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Rochester Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Rochester Hills, MI

I worked at Massage Green part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Low price, at the time that I worked there, made it easy to get and maintain a steady clientele. The other staff, at that time was great to work with.

Cons

Back to back massages. You were stuck with your schedule and couldn't take a vacation unless you found somebody to cover your shift. The time that I worked there, therapists were working a lot of hours, so it was impossible to get someone to cover my shifts. I missed a planned trip, and several family birthday parties the 2 years that I worked there. It was also very difficult to be sick. You needed a doctor's note. If you are part time, you don't have insurance, so the cost of going to the doctor just to get the note was not worth it. It was more cost-effective to come to work sick, which is bad for the clients and the other employees. While management was nice, some individuals did not seem to have the credentials or training for the job. It did not appear that they had support from upper level management. Payroll errors were a red flag when there were discrepancies between what was worked and what was reported. Hours did not match on paycheck sometimes and I was not informed of the changes.

Advice to Management

PTO should not be an issue. Allow a certain number of days for PTO, and a certain number for non-doctor-note sick days, and make it management who rearranges the schedule to cover the appointments for the person that is sick or on vacation. Do background checks on employees. Make sure payroll is overlooked by someone, and that payroll changes are communicated to the employees.

8. "Great Company to work for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Flower Mound, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Flower Mound, TX

Pros

Great management, Owner is amazing, good hours, competitive pay

Cons

new business so there were a few slow spots but now its picking up

"Pretty flexible"

Current Employee - N/A in Algonquin, IL
    Current Employee - N/A in Algonquin, IL

I have been working at Massage Green full-time

Pros

I have been working here for over a year and the management is pretty flexible. they will work with my schedule as much as possible and if you are sick your told to go home or stay home so as you dont get everyone sick. the manager will answer her phone even when she is not clocked in and work on what you may need. it is very relaxing environment and enjoy coming in to work! They pay is better now and make a lot more then before!

Cons

Wish the higher ups would do more advertising to help increase clientele when it is slow.

Advice to Management

Do more Promotions or radio or events if possible.

"MGS truth"

Current Employee - Esthetician in Davie, FL
    Current Employee - Esthetician in Davie, FL

I have been working at Massage Green full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees discount for an hour massage is 20 bucks! You get ALL THE DAYS OFF YOU WANT AS AN ESTHETICIAN. if you're dual licenced, you will make good money. The salary is $8.05 an hour when you are not booked, when you are in service you get paid $16hr. For a massage therapist with a great following you will make money. No worries.

Cons

The challenge is... The $30 massages. Getting paid $16 for than hour, the receptionist is getting paid $10hr that leaves $4 dollars coming into the store an hour.
    Where is the growth? Where is the profit?
    The company is not making ANY money in Davie FL. as an Esthetician, I was promised a full time position, and I had a full time position for about two weeks. During those two weeks, I made retail sales, I had 40% of my guests pre-booked. And I even gave my other employer my two weeks notice so I can really be a part of the MGS family. The moment I quit my PT job to be at MGS full time... My hours were cut DRASTICALLY. Without notice, without discussion. The other day I literally worked a two hour shift. I preformed 2 facials and I was immediately sent home. It is not because of my performance. I am the ONLY person in this store who makes retail sales, and encourages guests to pre-book for facials. I am actually the only Esthetician. I begged management to increase my hours and they gave me 5 extra hours. The little 5 hour shift I begged for, I was called 45 minutes before my shift and the RECEPTIONIST asked me not to come in. The managers do not give ANY courtesy call when they block your book.
    When I have requests, they are always moved to other massage dual therapist so they can block my book so they won't have to pay me.

I feel like a fool for being suckered into a company that is going downhill, I was lied to, and I can't wait for a company to utilize my skills as an Esthetician and really provide me stability. I know I won't let them down. I'm here to make YOU money and go home proud of my work and not have nightmares about not getting paid.

ALSO! they have been slacking with their payroll as well, the paychecks bounce from time to time. And some weeks it's direct deposit the other weeks it's pay checks and payday is no longer on Fridays it is the Monday following the weekend.. So by the time you deposit your check it will be Tuesday. ;)
    The end.
    This is the truth.
    I've been with the company for 9 weeks. If it is this bad now, I don't believe it will get better.

Advice to Management

Giving away $30 massages and $40 facials, not valuing your AWESOME Therapists and Estheticians... It's not going to give you employee retention. It's terrible. You don't treat us like "family". This is a sweat shop for massages. I wish I worked out west, where they actually treat their employees like humans. It's unfair to the estheticians that they are the ones that suffer with getting their hours cut because you decide to hand out cheap massages and can't afford to keep me on the clock. I have even offered to work as a receptionist and cross train! This way the company can even cut some corners and save money, but instead of valuing and utilizing me you spend more money hiring garbage management.

11. "good starter job"

Current Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in DeWitt, MI
    Current Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in DeWitt, MI

I have been working at Massage Green part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You really learn time management. Most of the time you get booked. People are generally nice and the atmosphere is usually pleasant. Our manager cares about his therapists

Cons

Pay is not great. If you want to earn more you have to work ridiculous hours. High pressure to get in, do intake, massage and get out, so you can't be as thorough as you like

Advice to Management

The higher ups need to visit the spas more often so they can get to know their employees better. Don't expect people to travel to company meetings without compensation