Massage Heights Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Glenn M. Franson

Pros
  • I understand that this is not a place for everyone, but if you work hard and want to move up in a company this is a great place (in 13 reviews)

• Overall, this a good place to start off to get a feel on how some clients are and what to expect in the industry (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay, they do not treat their staff great (in 13 reviews)

• There is a lot of negativity & drama between front desk/ management and therapist (in 11 reviews)

1. "Massage heights"

Former Employee - Lead Massage Therapist in Novato, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Massage Therapist in Novato, CA

I worked at Massage Heights part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked here part time for 3 years. For the most part I enjoyed it. The clients were nice, other therapists mostly worked well together as a team. All our supplies (linens, lotions etc) were good quality and well maintained. Overall a positive experience

Cons

In my 3 years with the company I worked under 4 different retreat directors. Each one had a huge impact on the working environment. One particular director who had both business and massage experience made an awesome environment. She was excellent at balancing the needs of the business and also supporting the therapists

2. "Lead massage rherapist"

I worked at Massage Heights full-time

Pros

Wonderful atmosphere and the owners took very good care of the staff. great place to work! The only job I've had that the owners actually SHOWED they cared! Overall great place!

Cons

eould have liked it of been closer to my house

Advice to Management

Keep doing a great job Leading and caring for your team!

3. "VERY FLEXIBLE AND KIND OWNERSHIP"

I have been working at Massage Heights full-time

Pros

Flexible schedules, continuity, respectful and caring leadership, opportunity to advance, closed on major holidays, benefits offered, great clientele

Cons

entitlement from some employees but I expect that at every organization

Advice to Management

Thank you for a great place to work!

5. "AMAZING PLACE TO WORK!"

Current Employee - Lead Lifestyle Consultant in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Lead Lifestyle Consultant in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Massage Heights full-time

Pros

I will not be able to say enough about this company. They are and have been the best place to work for hands down. I love that the company is about personal and professional growth, as well as togetherness. The owners and management are amazing, they are flexible if need be and they are truly all about helping you to become a better in your position. I honestly would not see myself working anywhere else, and I know that I have found my career. I understand that this is not a place for everyone, but if you work hard and want to move up in a company this is a great place. I started as a Lifestyle Consultant (front desk) and I am now the Lead Lifestyle Consultant, to see that I can move up and not just be told that is possible makes a huge difference in my book. They also promote togetherness, which is truly amazing to be able to get along with everyone on staff. Everyone here will teach you something new everyday! I love to learn so that is always a plus. We all work together to keep the retreat as one team and they are basically family at this point. Like I said before I would not have it any other way!!!

Cons

I do not have any cons. I absolutely love working here!

Advice to Management

I would say stay as you are, because you have given me the best place to be career wise and thank you for all that you have done to get me where I want to be.

6. "Massage therapist"

Current Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Matthews, NC
    Current Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Matthews, NC

I have been working at Massage Heights full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great location & clients are very appreciated of our work.

Cons

High front office turnover & not trained in common sense. Common sense is the new super power.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect & stop with the favoritism.

7. "Great place to work and made great friends"

Former Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Pine Ridge, FL
    Former Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Pine Ridge, FL

I worked at Massage Heights (More than a year)

Pros

Made pretty good money when it was busy during season. Management treats you great and listens to your problems. Owner takes everyone out for drinks and dinner meetings but mostly its just for fun.

Cons

I started rightr after it opened and it was really slow so i didnt make much until the end of last year. owner gotr cancer so it got pretty unorganized. i felt bad becawse his wife is nice but doesm't know anyhing about the business.

Advice to Management

if i moved back there i would defetitely work there again.

"Great Job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Friendswood, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Friendswood, TX

I worked at Massage Heights part-time

Pros

Great customers, flexible hours, good management, relaxing atomostphere, free and discounted massages and facials

Cons

weekends are the busiest time

"Okay for a beginner esthetician/skin therapist NOT a career spot!"

Current Employee - Skin Therapist and Lifestyle Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Skin Therapist and Lifestyle Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Massage Heights full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I joined this company as a way of starting off my esthetician career and it hasn't been a bad experience. Admittedly, it's going to be a little difficult for a skin therapist to get business(and also depends on the location).

Overall, this a good place to start off to get a feel on how some clients are and what to expect in the industry.

Flexible hours and schedule
    Free massage or facial every month

Cons

For an esthetician looking to advance in their careers, this place is most likely not it unless you want to do facials all the time. Massage Heights doesn't believe in adding on services such as waxing, eyelash extensions, back treatments/back facials, brow and lash tinting, etc. all because it's "not relaxing." Because of this mindset, it's handicapping their skin therapist's business.

What Massage Heights doesn't understand is that an esthetician's job isn't for just relaxation. Our line of work is BEAUTY! I'm sure we all know the saying, "Beauty is pain." Well it doesn't have to be like that! Believe it or not, Massage Heights, Brazilian and bikini waxes can take as little as 10-15 minutes to do(if properly trained) and clients will barely notice it! Will it be uncomfortable in some way? Probably, I'm not going to lie. However, any person that gets a Brazilian or bikini wax know what to expect when they're coming for a service like that. Once the first strip comes off, everything is easy from there.

I also understand that you won't add back treatments/back facials to the menu because you're afraid clients/people will mix them up with a massage. Well, that's what the LCs are for! I also work as an LC and you wouldn't believe how many people mix up your Revitalizing Face Massage with a facial! Then I explain the difference and they understand after that. LCs are not just there to book appointments, they're also there to explain little things like that.

We estheticians help people by making them feel better about themselves by taking away unwanted hair, tinting brows and lashes to whatever color the client wants, apply make-up for a special occasion, or doing a back treatment since it's a hard area to properly cleanse at home. It's not just about skin care on the face!

It's because of this limitation that I won't be working here much longer. This isn't a place where I can see myself advancing as an esthetician nor do I see any opportunities for growth.

Also:
    My management has yet to process my application for health insurance so NO health insurance
    No holiday pay
    No 401K
    No paid vacation time (no matter how long you've been there!)

Advice to Management

I understand your motto is relaxation, but think about how it's handicapping your estheticians. You could be getting so much more business if you added simple things like waxing! People don't come to estheticians for just facials! We can do so much more than that.

10. "Massage Therapist"

I worked at Massage Heights full-time

Pros

Opportunities to stay booked, managers seem to try to work with you if they can. If you're new out of school, it's a great place to start.

Cons

To make decent money, you have to be able to do 8-9 in a day. Pay is pretty low, even for management and doesn't seem to focused on being a growing opportunity for therapists to thrive in.

Advice to Management

Try to hear your employees out and maybe start scheduling times between clients so that the therapists don't get burnt out.

"WORST EMPLOYMENT EXPERIENCE I'VE EVER HAD!"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Massage Heights full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the lower-ranking employees are very friendly and welcoming.

Cons

Owners and Management are extremely racist, vindictive, overly secretive, unprofessional, misleading, and displayed poor communication, as well as unethical/illegal business practices; I worked for this company for almost two years and saw a turnover of more than 25 employees; Management post misleading information on employment websites that they do not deliver on, a complete bait and switch; Management barely trains new employees, so they are setup for failure from the beginning; Management watches the cameras as if they are watching a soap opera and spread rumors to employees to turn them against one another and/or phish for information; Management has denied employment to potential candidates and terminated employees for various racial, weight, appearance, and cultural reasons, yet they claim to be an Equal Opportunity Employer; Management/Owners constantly interrogate and attempt to intimidate employees; Employees are constantly told to lie to customers, which the customers see right through and become irate; Massage Heights' goal is to lock members into an auto-drafting and auto-renewing contract and make it almost impossible to get out of; The company is completely money-driven; They pay very poor wages and do not care about if their employees get any sort of restroom or lunch breaks, nor the state or condition of their health; The work environment at any location that I've worked at was completely hostile and every employee seemed miserable and were worried about how they would make ends meet, financially; They terminate employees and dispute ALL unemployment claims; I've seen management unlawfully withhold funds from employees' paychecks and dispute employee hours..this is just SOME of the unethical/unlawful business practices that I've witnessed and experienced. I had to block the owners/management from contacting me. They will harass you if they feel threatened or try to intimidate you with legal action for speaking out against them. They even tried to contact me through previous colleagues which I had a close relationship with. My advice is to stay away from this company!!

Advice to Management

Treat ALL employees with respect, offer competitive financial compensation, follow through with ALL promises made to employees and customers, be transparent with employees and customers, do not start drama and create a hostile workplace environment, trust the employees in which you've hired, give everyone a chance for employment, regardless of their ethnicity, skin color, sexual preference, physical appearance, weight, age, or accent; cease all unethical/illegal business practices immediately, do not attempt to intimidate and/or threaten employees, incentivize ALL of the hard work in which your employees do, and show employees' appreciation, properly train and set new employees up for success, establish an effective flow of communication, do not harass employees after they've left or attempt to tarnish their reputations and relationships with employees in which are still employed by your company, and do not make false Facebook accounts and try to disturb/metal in the private lives of your employees, GROW UP!