Massdrop Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.3
Steve El-Hage

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good place to work, bright future"

Former Employee - Logistics in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Logistics in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Massdrop full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Mission-driven; almost all employees are enthusiastic about the products and communities
    - Cross-functional departments are progressing a lot in becoming a more cohesive unit
    -Work-life balance and flexible hours and good benefits
    - Company is growing a lot in many ways... adding user-friendly features to the website, breaking into new communities and selling new products, collaborating with well-known brands,, adding employee headcount, & marketing

Cons

Although a lot of people get promotions and raises, they need more rigid structure on promotion criteria. Also, have more training for management to help employees in career development. Luckily, most of the managers right now are experienced, but as the company grows out of the startup phase, this type of infrastructure should be a focus

"Great people, disappointing management"

Former Employee - Community Support Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Community Support Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Massdrop full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Teams were full of great people concentrated on good outcomes.

Cons

- No career growth/promotion structure. Despite the fact that this feedback has been expressed by Massdrop employees numerous times nothing ever changed . Promotions/salary increases path was inexistent which led talented people leaving.

Advice to Management

-Make/follow a compensation schedule so people understand what to expect instead of leaving everyone to guess.

"Started off well, but then focus on employee happiness and product weren't there"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Massdrop full-time

Pros

- Had good ideas to shift to more community-focused product while still preserving commerce portion
    - For the most part, great people to work with
    - Not trying to spend where it doesn't add much value

Cons

- In the beginning, there was a focus on employee happiness (at least on the team I worked on). They asked what direction I wanted to head career-wise and what my interests were and my manager tried hard to help move me in that direction.

Unfortunately as the team and company grew, my manager got tasked with larger-scale priorities and new managers got put in and what role I wanted to take on and my career focus got overlooked in place of company priorities.

- Goal was to shift company/product to a more community-centric product. However near the end of my tenure there, the high priority tasks were not about developing community features but rather boosting numbers probably to look better to investors. How management spoke about the future of the company was still focused on commerce/dollars and cents, rather than about enhancing the community aspect of our product. It was originally why I was interested in working at Massdrop, but I guess generating more revenue took precedence.

Advice to Management

- Pay a lot more attention to employee happiness, especially those you value most. It's been a consistent problem since I started working there and never really got resolved. I never really felt like it was an environment I truly enjoyed working in and any attempt to remedy this felt forced and not genuine.

- Remember your mission and what you're striving to do. Though you are a commerce company with a community feature, it's not always about the money.

"Great engineering team and community to be a part of"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Massdrop full-time

Pros

- Knowledgable, approachable engineering team
    - Close collaborative dynamic with Product/Design
    - Flexible work/life balance
    - Modern tech stack, stable codebase, and fairly robust processes and workflow
    - Positive work environment
    - Company leads seem genuinely dedicated to the company mission

Cons

- Perks are competitive with other tech companies, but could be better

Advice to Management

Make sure employee growth and job opportunities remain a core factor as the company grows. A part of any startup will be chasing numbers - don't let that dominate every decision.

Jan 30, 2018 – Talent

Thanks for the feedback! We can assure you that employee growth and satisfaction will remain a top priority as we continue to move forward.

"Fun growing startup with lots of potential"

I have been working at Massdrop full-time

Pros

-good work/life balance
    -flexible work schedule- come in when you want, work, leave when you are done (this is extremely nice coming from very formal work settings, where you have to be in your seat 8 hours a day at least)
    -lots of job growth potential
    -health insurance
    -fully stocked kitchen and catered lunches
    -hard working employees
    -everyone is nice and easy to get along with
    -management listens and cares about any concerns or ideas we have, and is very responsive

Cons

-the health insurance does cover partners/spouses/families but not for free. (my last job covered everyone for free)

Advice to Management

Getting a fancier coffee machine ;) with decaf

Jan 30, 2018 – Talent

Thank you for the review. We are glad you enjoy being apart of the team! While our most recent coffee upgrade was the cold brew keg, we will look into hot coffee upgrades too :)

"Buyer"

I have been working at Massdrop full-time

Pros

-Intelligent and driven employees
    -Positive environment
    - Work/life balance

Cons

Upper management could spend more time training and developing new employees.

Oct 25, 2017 – Talent

Thanks for the feedback! We are always looking for ways to improve and supplement employee development, and can assure you that this will remain a priority as we continue to scale and grow.

"Passionate Employees, Positive Work Environment, & Strong Company Values"

I have been working at Massdrop full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Collaborative work environment with cross-functional teams
    - Passionate and brilliant colleagues
    - No politics
    - A great place to learn and advance your career
    - Freedom to work from home and take as much time off as needed
    - Strong, focused leadership
    - Attentive and intelligent CEO
    - Location

Cons

- Typical growing pains
    - Unstructured processes

Advice to Management

Take a deep breath and appreciate what you've helped build.

Oct 23, 2017 – Talent

Love this! While all eyes are on our future and the excitement that surrounds it, we should all take a moment to be proud of all the amazing things we have already accomplished. *pats on the back... More

"Huge opportunity space + rigorous Product & Engineering organization to get us there!"

Current Employee - Product in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Massdrop full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Awesome mission: help people do more of the things they love

- Huge potential for company to growth rapidly (communities keep growing and we keep building new and products in new spaces)

- World class product / dev process

- Remarkable leaders & mentorship

- Leadership highly focused on building strong fundamentals, result will be a company that lasts longer than the average of 12 years

- Gorgeous location

Cons

- No 401k match yet, but we're still a start-up so this makes sense and will likely come later

Oct 23, 2017 – Talent

Thanks for the review. It's always exciting to hear that our employees are passionate about what they do and enjoy working here at Massdrop. In terms of the 401k match, it is definitely something... More

"Great People & Opportunities, Exciting Company Mission"

Current Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Massdrop full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Get to work with a lot of bright and talented people every day
    -Lots of room to take on additional responsibility and add meaningful value to a growing organization
    -Transparent and grounded management team that has a clear vision for the company
    -Low-ego culture, everyone works hard and believes in the company mission
    -Unlimited vacation and thoughtful managers who encourage you to take time for yourself

Cons

-Less celebration of the wins and accomplishments than there should be
    -Deliberate slower headcount growth has meant slower ramp up to opportunities for career growth for some

Advice to Management

Be thoughtful in setting up and communicating clear career trajectories for each organization. Continue to listen to employee feedback, the good and the bad, and work hard to build a culture of praise. We're doing awesome things, let's celebrate it more.

Oct 19, 2017 – Talent

Thank you for your feedback, we greatly appreciate it. Actually, we are currently in the process of creating a more robust recognition platform. If you have any suggestions, please pass them along to... More

10. "Massdrop Engineering Review"

Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Massdrop full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Massdrop Engineering, Data and Product work very closely together, striving towards a must-have high regard for servicing the business while also producing high quality code and engineering depth. All our engineers our deeply interested in not just the tech stack of the day, but deeply in the fundamentals of design, engineering, and computer science. As a developer, you can’t help but to push and be pushed to grow. CEO and his closest advisors are excellent financial stewards, most decisions are numbers based.

Cons

Fast growth often leaves to feature churn/sloppiness or back office costly mistakes. To be expected, and teams are working hard to up quality control.

Tightening of the belt this last year has made employee/company growth seem stale, though financials look better and better, people have left, some senior management so holes are left atm, and others phone it in at times.

Advice to Management

Keep employee career growth path obvious and ongoing, or morale problems will continue. People will leave (best case) or disengage (worse).

Jan 30, 2018 – Talent

Thanks for the input. Here's to an exciting year of growth and success in 2018!