Massdrop Reviews | Glassdoor

"Custom Products"

Current Employee - Custom Products in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Custom Products in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Massdrop full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The upwards mobility + learning opportunity + growth potential on this team is endless. We are working on stimulating projects, creating exciting and original products, and solving challenging problems in the process... all alongside incredibly bright people. Each individual on this team is valuable contributor, and we are all passionate about what we do. I truly wake up in the morning excited to go to work, and I'm eager to see where we can take this thing.

Cons

Depending on who you are, the amount of commitment that is needed to be apart of this team can be hefty. You may be pushed to your limits, but management does a great job of ensuring it's "bend but not break." Take time off when you need it and refresh. It's hard work, but it's a genuinely rewarding environment.

Advice to Management

Continue to build and expand the team, adding tools and resources where needed. Continue to check in with individuals on a personal level. Stay the course to get us to our long-term goals, but don't lose sight of the "now".

Nov 8, 2017 – Talent

Great to hear, thanks for the feedback. We are very excited about our Custom Products team as well!

"Buyer"

I have been working at Massdrop full-time

Pros

-Intelligent and driven employees
    -Positive environment
    - Work/life balance

Cons

Upper management could spend more time training and developing new employees.

Oct 25, 2017 – Talent

Thanks for the feedback! We are always looking for ways to improve and supplement employee development, and can assure you that this will remain a priority as we continue to scale and grow.

"Passionate Employees, Positive Work Environment, & Strong Company Values"

I have been working at Massdrop full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Collaborative work environment with cross-functional teams
    - Passionate and brilliant colleagues
    - No politics
    - A great place to learn and advance your career
    - Freedom to work from home and take as much time off as needed
    - Strong, focused leadership
    - Attentive and intelligent CEO
    - Location

Cons

- Typical growing pains
    - Unstructured processes

Advice to Management

Take a deep breath and appreciate what you've helped build.

Oct 23, 2017 – Talent

Love this! While all eyes are on our future and the excitement that surrounds it, we should all take a moment to be proud of all the amazing things we have already accomplished. *pats on the back... More

"Huge opportunity space + rigorous Product & Engineering organization to get us there!"

Current Employee - Product in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Massdrop full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Awesome mission: help people do more of the things they love

- Huge potential for company to growth rapidly (communities keep growing and we keep building new and products in new spaces)

- World class product / dev process

- Remarkable leaders & mentorship

- Leadership highly focused on building strong fundamentals, result will be a company that lasts longer than the average of 12 years

- Gorgeous location

Cons

- No 401k match yet, but we're still a start-up so this makes sense and will likely come later

Oct 23, 2017 – Talent

Thanks for the review. It's always exciting to hear that our employees are passionate about what they do and enjoy working here at Massdrop. In terms of the 401k match, it is definitely something... More

"Great People & Opportunities, Exciting Company Mission"

Current Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Massdrop full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Get to work with a lot of bright and talented people every day
    -Lots of room to take on additional responsibility and add meaningful value to a growing organization
    -Transparent and grounded management team that has a clear vision for the company
    -Low-ego culture, everyone works hard and believes in the company mission
    -Unlimited vacation and thoughtful managers who encourage you to take time for yourself

Cons

-Less celebration of the wins and accomplishments than there should be
    -Deliberate slower headcount growth has meant slower ramp up to opportunities for career growth for some

Advice to Management

Be thoughtful in setting up and communicating clear career trajectories for each organization. Continue to listen to employee feedback, the good and the bad, and work hard to build a culture of praise. We're doing awesome things, let's celebrate it more.

Oct 19, 2017 – Talent

Thank you for your feedback, we greatly appreciate it. Actually, we are currently in the process of creating a more robust recognition platform. If you have any suggestions, please pass them along to... More

6. "Massdrop Engineering Review"

Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Massdrop full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Massdrop Engineering, Data and Product work very closely together, striving towards a must-have high regard for servicing the business while also producing high quality code and engineering depth. All our engineers our deeply interested in not just the tech stack of the day, but deeply in the fundamentals of design, engineering, and computer science. As a developer, you can’t help but to push and be pushed to grow. CEO and his closest advisors are excellent financial stewards, most decisions are numbers based.

Cons

Fast growth often leaves to feature churn/sloppiness or back office costly mistakes. To be expected, and teams are working hard to up quality control.

Tightening of the belt this last year has made employee/company growth seem stale, though financials look better and better, people have left, some senior management so holes are left atm, and others phone it in at times.

Advice to Management

Keep employee career growth path obvious and ongoing, or morale problems will continue. People will leave (best case) or disengage (worse).

"Growing start up, talented group of folks, lots of potential and positive work culture"

I have been working at Massdrop full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Working with a talented group of people who are passionate about their work
    - Collaborative work environment
    - Community-driven business with lots of potential
    - Work/life balance

Cons

- the usual growing pains that come with start up companies

Oct 19, 2017 – Talent

Thanks for the review. We agree; we are excited for Massdrop's future as well.

"Well-run engineering team for a company of this size and stage"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Massdrop full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Smooth and well-maintained structures in place for software engineers to excel at their work. Sane and mature development processes that aren't all about moving as fast as possible like many startups or companies of similar stages are.

Cons

Engineering team is still very small and focused on core features and functionality, so there's not a lot of "go off and work on your own project that really interests you" or "20% time" kind of stuff going on; you'll have to be really focused on the company mission right now.

Advice to Management

Need to make sure to prepare to move company to next stage and beyond, in terms of company size/hiring, compensation packages, operations.

Oct 19, 2017 – Talent

Thanks for your feedback. The executive team is always working on preparation and improvement, and this will continue to be a focus as we continue to grow.

"Great community to grow with"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Massdrop full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Personal growth is actively encouraged through high responsibility projects and honest feedback.
    - A truly blameless engineering culture that is all about solving and preventing problems as a team, not punishing mistakes.
    - Flexible working hours and vacation policy: occasional work from home days and vacations are expected, not stygmatized.
    - A bunch of brilliant colleagues to learn from

Cons

A startup that has achieved a reasonable level of stability; but is still figuring things out with exciting - and risky - challenges that will have to be faced.

Oct 19, 2017 – Talent

Thank you for your feedback, we love our Engineering department as well!

"Massdrop is a fun place to work!"

Current Employee - Operations in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Massdrop full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Being a community-driven company, massdrop's employee's culture is enjoyable. The happy hours they plan, include team building for everyone in their department.

Cons

The office is full of different samples, to the point where it starts to take over. This isn't necessarily bad when you have so many enthusiasts in the office to show them off.

Oct 19, 2017 – Talent

Appreciate the review! We'll be talking to housekeeping about the mess ;-)