Master Cuts Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.6
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • We also always had sales to attract walk-ins (in 3 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, good location, networking, promotions because of high employee turnover rate, (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • It's a chop shop with little to no opportunity to actually make more than minimum wage (in 11 reviews)

• Ridiculously low pay for this being our "career" (in 7 reviews)

1. "Good place to start."

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in College Station, TX
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in College Station, TX

I have been working at Master Cuts full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This place is a Good place to start. This place has Excellent benefits. Stock options. Good people. Flexible hours. Part of Regis corporation so lots of resources

Cons

Some of the employees are unhappy because they do not see the value of having a base pay and being paid more the more you do. If you recommend retail you will build a better clientele an make more money but lots of the stylists aren't willing to do that.

2. "Hairstylist"

I worked at Master Cuts part-time

Pros

I love making feel good about themselves, Education classes

Cons

The district manager was unreasonable.

3. "Cosmetologist Operator"

I worked at Master Cuts full-time

Pros

Was a great learning experience.

Cons

Want you to work off the clock.

4. "A great place to start"

I worked at Master Cuts full-time

Pros

Able to build up clientele
    steady hours

Cons

Not enough educational classes to keep up with new techniques

Advice to Management

More education classes

5. "Don't even think about it!"

Former Employee - Stylist in Monaca, PA
    Former Employee - Stylist in Monaca, PA

I worked at Master Cuts part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Umm.... still haven't found one. The only highlight of my day was having 1 great coworker I've never had an issue with.

Cons

Ridiculously low pay for this being our "career". Corporate and management both do not and will never care about their employees. All they care about is numbers . Will never be busy enough to ever hit commission. Every body is 2 faced and will backstab you. If you are the nice one you will always be walked all over and taken advantage of. Don't even think about requesting a day off because they will cause a scene and tell you every reason why you don't deserve it or if you do get it they complain about it for a few weeks. Plan on having a desk job more than a stylist because you're lucky to get one person in a 7 hour shift daily. But don't you dare get upset about because then it's your fault ? And don't try to have 2 jobs because no human being can actually live off of our paycheck because they will screw you with too .

Advice to Management

Respect your employees and do your job. You're a manager of a salon and only make a dollar more than we stylists do therefore you should have to do all the things we do like clean?? We are employees not slaves. Try actually making your team want to be there instead of coming in miserable every single day and wonder why all of the sudden nobody wants to be there.

6. "Good stepping stone, awful pay"

Current Employee - Hair Stylist
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist

I have been working at Master Cuts part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I'm with Mastercuts again for the 3rd time and I hope this will be my last. I returned to college and needed something I knew I could do and the hours are flexible. In total, I've worked for the company nearly 7 years total, 3 1/2 years this go around. My physical location is actually really good as our mall only has a childrens salon aside from us so we get a lot of walk ins. Our salon was also updated a few years ago so we have lighter wall paper (it was hideous forest green when I started in 2005) and just got new chairs last year so it doesn't seem as tired as it used to. I've told every new girl who starts that this is a place where you can figure out where you want to go and to learn a lot about the basics that weren't covered in school (depending on who you work with).

Cons

Sad to say that all the issues in this place are what hold it back. First is the pay - my salon offers a base of minimum wage ($7.25 in PA) plus hourly commissions which are a joke. If you stay busy enough to bring in service sales of $25 an hour per pay period, you are rewarded with an hourly wage of about $8 and the product commission is 5%. Now, the company is "punishing" stylists who don't sell enough behind the chair and harass people for their email addresses by forcing those that don't meet the standard to go to a sales class 45 minutes away during open hours. A coworker just took a write up to miss the class so she could keep her appointments - why are they forcing us to choose between avoiding a write up and making money?! At my salon, morale is at an all time low and we are about to have a second salon walk off in the 3 1/2 years I've been back and it's happened at least half a dozen times to my manager who has been here 9 years. We also aren't able to get things fixed in the salon now unless they are deemed "an emergency". It's obvious that the company doesn't care, at least not about this brand.

Advice to Management

$7.25 an hour + tips does not sound appealing to new stylists because it isn't. Pay your employees what they're worth and take care of your salons. Perhaps then you won't have the high turn over, the missed sales goals and the failing salons.

7. "Mastercuts"

Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Corpus Christi, TX
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Corpus Christi, TX

I worked at Master Cuts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very high walk in,easy to maintain a steady clientele
    Employee/Corporate discounts are a plus

Cons

Very bad upper management who only care about themselves and NOT their employees. Favoritism is also very bad and causes drama.
    Pay is based on a "pay scale" which is impossible to make more than $10 an hour.
    They do not give you any vacation time off ,only give you the option of "cashing out.
    Training is very poor as well

Advice to Management

Stop thinking what's best for yourself and do what's best for your stylists and the salon.
    Change the awful "pay scale" so stylists will remain working for your company.

8. "New Stylist"

Pros

Will to help stylist new to field

Cons

No formal training upon starting, even if for a week.

9. "Manager"

Former Employee - Salon Manager in College Station, TX
    Former Employee - Salon Manager in College Station, TX

Pros

Cons

Low pay with high expectations and no compensation

Advice to Management

Increase pay and you will receive more dedicated employees.

10. "Worst experience of all time"

Current Employee - Salon Manager in Cape Girardeau, MO
    Current Employee - Salon Manager in Cape Girardeau, MO

I have been working at Master Cuts (Less than a year)

Pros

Hourly pay is the only positive thing I guess. If you want to make minimum wage work here instead of fast food I guess......

Cons

I had applied for the management position which they call the salon leader, I finished the first face to face interview and then also the phone interview which I was told were the only two. I then receive a call that they wanted another meeting, which at that meeting was told I has another separate meeting the next day with another manager. That is FOUR total. After the phone interview I specifically asked if I had gotten the job when they called, she said YES, I only needed to wait for one more paper before i could start. So you see my frustration when I was called in for two more times. After the 4th meeting I was then called and offered the leader position at smartstyle, where I said I didn't want to be, and eventually transfer to mastercuts but only as a stylist. I was told I don't have any professional leadership skills, which is farthest from the truth, and when I confronted them with the question of why am I qualified to do this job in the smartstyle where you are desperate and not mastercuts, especially after the specific training at that salon, she said all of their salons are equal. Well obviously they're not if I am qualified in one and not the other. I was eventually told they had only one stylist in the smartstyle and she had been driving several hours to cover those shifts, they were very desperate there, which she lied about at first. These people are SUCH A JOKE. I told her how insulting that was and I wasn't going to degrade myself. I wasted SO much of my time with them. There was also a VERY awkward instance with a client during my 3rd meeting with her. A client came in looking for a specific kind of product, she was like a deer in headlights and literally had NO idea what she was doing. I had seen that they carried kenra and approached her to offer my advice on a good product for her, and she ended up buying 2. This "manager" had absolutely no idea what she was doing and was just looking all around like she had never sold a hair product in her life, and yet also so baffled that this salon was losing money. How lovely that their supposed highly trained and experienced management doesn't even know hair care, let alone how to successfully manage their businesses. DO NOT WORK ANYWHERE FOR REGIS!!!!

Advice to Management

Seriously get your act together. You put so much pressure on employees and job candidates to have professionalism and building people up but I have never been strung along like this for any job ever. I have been nothing but professional and seriously to offer someone a job and then take it back.... you need to train your high up management better because the people I have dealt with are not capable of their job descriptions by far.