Mastercard Reviews in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

3.8
Mastercard President and CEO Ajay Banga
Ajay Banga

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The fact that we can work from home or do flex hours means we have a great work life balance (in 170 reviews)

• Professional, allowing work from home (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Some are pure meat grinders with little or no work/life balance (in 36 reviews)

• Middle management is not focused and not in aligned with senior management (in 29 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Enabled to grow and excel inside and out of workplace"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Purchase, NY

I have been working at Mastercard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Love that my company cares enough to keep asking as well as providing tools, programs and ways to get ahead. Not just financially but emotionally as well. We have 5 paid days per year to volunteer to any of our favorite charities as well as an expanded pat leave globally...not to mention that #acceptancematters.

Cons

Takes a bit of time to learn about other teams and what they do or how you should align with them

2. "Honestly really love working here"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Mastercard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Culture: It varies slightly by parts of the company, but pretty much everyone is kind, helpful, and willing to share knowledge. The identification as a tech company is also very present in the casual dress code, scooters/ping pong in the office, and the frequency with which we are provided food in meetings and events. I genuinely feel like the company cares about the people who work here.

- Work/Life balance: It's awesome. Our maternity/paternity leave policy is awesome, the office is mostly empty by 6pm, the company only lets you carry over 5 vacation days a year which incentivizes you to take vacation. This is part of why I have no intention of leaving this company any time soon.

- Benefits - in a business role (as opposed to development or tech support, etc, which I can't speak to), the compensation, bonuses, and stock options are generous and fair to market averages. 401k matching is fabulous and vests quickly. Also why I have no intention of leaving any time soon.

- We do some cool stuff - Mastercard has a really interesting business model. We do some cool stuff in the tech space, but are also a juggernaut player when it comes to enabling card payments. As a result, we have the money to spend on exploring good ideas, which makes it an interesting place to work.

- Diversity - Mastercard is not kidding around with it's dedication to diversity. It's one of the reasons people come here, but also what makes me want to stay.

Cons

- It's a big company - There's bureaucracy in every Fortune 500 company. I've worked for 3 of them, and this is actually the most streamlined in terms of processes. We also have to do standardized trainings. Every job has downsides, but bureaucracy is a fair trade off for the stability of salary, benefits, and work/life balance, to me, at least.

- It's not THAT big a company - Mastercard is still only around 12k employees worldwide. I actually see this as a plus in terms of how much responsibility an otherwise mid-level person can have, but it does mean there aren't always endless job options at every level in every group in every location.

Advice to Management

The shift the company has taken in the last 7 years or so has been remarkable. It's going to be interesting to see where it goes next.

3. "Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst in Purchase, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst in Purchase, NY

I have been working at Mastercard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing company to work for! Competitive salary, above average benefits. A culture that values creativity. Managers care about your personal growth and development. Every day I get to work with bright, motivated people from all over the world.

Cons

As with any large company, change can be slow

4. "Looking forward to another 16 years"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President IMK Pricing & IC in Purchase, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President IMK Pricing & IC in Purchase, NY

I have been working at Mastercard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've been part of this amazing company for 16 years. Here I've gotten the opportunity to live and work in different countries, enrich myself and family from different cultures, have a network of friends and colleagues from many places in the world and with so diverse points of view. I feel privileged and grateful at the same time as Mastercard has given me plenty of opportunities to develop my skills, broaden knowledge and my view of the world in a challenging and very demanding yet collaborative place.

Cons

We have many opportunities and problems as an organization. No question about it. But I think of them as challenges an opportunities to learn and enrich the world. We wouldn't have jobs in problem-free organizations.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in the development of the people of this organization.

Mastercard Response

Jul 17, 2017 – Employer Brand Marketing Manager

Congratulations on your 16 year anniversary! Our people are our greatest asset, so thank you for being part our Mastercard team. We know that there is always room for improvement and we are... More

5. "Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Mastercard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work life balance and employee friendly policies

Cons

it is simply a great company to work for!

6. "Exciting Company"

I have been working at Mastercard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good salary & benefits, on-site gym, quality cafeteria, above average tuition reimbursement

Cons

Long hours depending on department; such a large company that you may feel like a small fish in a big pond

"Vice President, Business Development"

Former Employee - Business Leader (Vice President) in Purchase, NY
    Former Employee - Business Leader (Vice President) in Purchase, NY

I worked at Mastercard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Many great people that are honest, professional and know their business thoroughly.

Cons

Many hidden agendas, too much office politics, strong emphasis on transitioning to millennial company

Advice to Management

Sr Execs should honor the personal commitments made to staff.

8. "Program Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Purchase, NY
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Purchase, NY

I worked at Mastercard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

One of the best companies I've worked for. Great work environment, great growth potential, flexible work hours. In my experience, employees were cared for and taken good care of.

Cons

Health benefit we're my only complaint. Although, it's not entirely their fault. Most companies were/are not able to provide affordable benefits. A PLUS side to that is the company offered employees money towards their HSA account to help offset.

Advice to Management

I found management to be open to employees at most levels. Keep having an open mind and ear - many times the added perspective is highly beneficial.

"Vice President senior business leader"

Current Employee - Vice President Senior Business Leader in Purchase, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President Senior Business Leader in Purchase, NY

I have been working at Mastercard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Growth oriented. Smart people. Buying vocalink is a start moving into new Payment types. The Purchase office is fantastic place to work.

Cons

The culture is very internally focused and needs to move faster to embrace and implement new payment offerings. They also do not embrace remote work force. In the digital age not sure why they need workers in office every day.

Advice to Management

Support and embrace a remote workforce policy. No reason in this digital world and with Skype we can not higher and support people who don't work in Purchase or St. Louis.

"Vice President"

Current Employee - Vice President in Purchase, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in Purchase, NY

I have been working at Mastercard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work, great company culture, great leadership team. Real multinational company and opportunities to relocations.

Cons

Purchase is a little far from New York city, but there's a express train (35 mins) from Grand Central to White Plains, and then a company shuttle (10 mins).