Mastercard Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 18, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be a challenge (in 39 reviews)

• Communication from senior management regarding changes to company structure aren't always timely, or the information changes every few months (in 31 reviews)

"Heavy Politics, Nepotism, Bait and Switch Hiring Practices"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Purchase, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Purchase, NY

I have been working at Mastercard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Well known global Fortune 500 brand.

Cons

It's common knowledge within MasterCard to hire new people for a particular job and typically within their first six months, reassign them to a different job or give them job of two people. Be prepared to work the job of two people. MasterCard calls this "punching above your weight" but it’s really a bait and switch hiring practice.

Career advancement is extremely limited and based on managing up, nepotism and being a yes person at all costs. This makes the politics heavy and people are constantly back stabbing each other. The VP title is equal to a manager at most large companies and holds no weight within the MasterCard. It's very hard if not impossible to advance beyond the VP position and many of them have been in the same position for 5 years or more.

MasterCard doesn’t do 360 performance reviews or assign you with real business goals, so there isn’t any accountability. This has made it very easy for managers to coast for years. Most the middle management I worked with had outdated leadership skills and very limited technology experience.

MasterCard is not a technology company. My Millennial peers in the tech community working at Google and Apple laugh at the notion that MasterCard is a tech company and would never consider working there. That's why you won't meet any Silicon Valley alums at MasterCard. This year MasterCard allowed employees to wear jeans every day and the Baby Boomer leaders acted like it was privilege.

MasterCard loves to reorg every year and outsource and insource American jobs. The CEO and many of the executives are Indian nationals. They have no problem sending American jobs to India and bringing in lower paid H-1B Visa workers in from India to replace American workers.

Advice to Management

The board should end the "Indian" management experience and replace the CEO with a proven technology CEO.

"Unprofessional Division within MasterCard"

I worked at Mastercard full-time

Pros

Great talent in the San Carlos satellite office, especially on the Products & Platforms and Merchant Sales side of the business. MasterCard has great assets, and hopefully they'll bring the right management team to lead these efforts.

Cons

Excessive red tape. The biggest issue I had during my tenure was trusting management and HR. From my hire date, all the way through my exit from MasterCard, everyone complained about being promised x and getting y & z. Many disgruntled ex-colleagues and a few still remain at MasterCard, as they believe one day this culture will eventually change. The biggest problem with loyalty solutions is that they lack leadership and the key executives have limited or no knowledge leading their respective teams, which explains the revenue issues and huge turnover.

Advice to Management

Many employees were on-boarded by a very deceptive manager at MasterCard, and many ex-colleagues don't want to say anything given their work visa, potential retaliation, among other concerns. I would encourage HR to have a bigger presence, and actually talk to employees that under the group head level.

"No Exit interview - Would not recommend"

Former Employee - Vice President in San Carlos, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President in San Carlos, CA

I worked at Mastercard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very solid company in terms of financials and meeting Wall Street estimates. Global organization, so a good fit if you choose the right division within MC.

Cons

In San Carlos, I reported into Loyalty Solutions, which powers offers and solutions to banks and merchants. This division is EXTREMELY dysfunctional and according to some ex-colleagues (the few that remain), state that the new regime is even worse. MasterCard has the tendency to acquire companies and put those executives to manage the business, which continues to be a disaster. With HQ's in NY - you have 0 HR presence, no career trajectory, and a very disenchanting and awkward work environment.

Advice to Management

Management and HR don't care - as the San Carlos is simply a front to claim they're in Silicon Valley. I had a very unpleasant tenure at MasterCard - and it's no surprise that office has such a huge turnover rate, especially Loyalty Solutions.

"San Carlos MasterCard Office"

Former Employee - Vice President Business Development in San Carlos, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President Business Development in San Carlos, CA

I worked at Mastercard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Global company, good benefits, and if you select the right division within MasterCard you'll find strategic growth opportunities. Unfortunately, I cannot write more than 20 words expressing "pros".

Cons

I worked under Loyalty Solutions, Merchant Value Proposition team based in San Carlos. The lack of leadership, strategy, and management is why I decided to leave MasterCard, and why the attrition rate is at an all time high within that division. Management went through a huge re-org, implementing a new management team that is mediocre at best.

Advice to Management

Reading other reviews, other ex-colleagues simply say "change management". In my experience, the team that I worked with in Loyalty Solutions have all resigned or requested internal transfers due to the overall negligent structure in Loyalty Solutions. When I was at MasterCard, and with the high attrition rate on my team, HR was practically inexistent. Overall - great company, but the Loyalty Solutions and Merchant team NEEDS A LOT OF HELP! With the current leadership structure, it's sad to see that amazing products go to waste. Would be great if Ron Garrow could spend some of his time with this team vs the core teams.

"Loyalty Solutions Merchant Value Proposition"

Former Employee - Vice President Product Management in San Carlos, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President Product Management in San Carlos, CA

I worked at Mastercard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Billion dollar company with good talent, benefits, 401k, and competitive comp depending on where you're based and which division you work in within Mastercard.

Cons

Mastercard has an amazing CEO, with great leaders globally. Most divisions at Mastercard are very well structured. Unfortunately, in my case, I worked in Loyalty Solutions, more precisely the Merchant Value Proposition team. The leadership on this team is very poor (no strategy, lack of vision, inconsistent with other teams at MC) and the turnover on this team is 100%. I would rate this division as poor, but not MasterCard in general.

Advice to Management

I read another review with similar concerns, and it's appalling that HR is not involved, or at least conduct exit interviews to show they care for the sake of "optics". Maybe it's just me, but when several people resign and request to transfer internally, that immediately raises a red flag, but maybe that's the strategy. My advice to management would be to LOOK INTO IT.

"Business Leader - Poor work/life balance if you are good"

Current Employee - Business Leader in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Business Leader in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Good bonus
    Flexible environment
    Average Pay
    Pay is increased when industry increases pay overall
    Great savings plan

Cons

Medical expenses are pushed back to employee
    Poor to no cost of living raises year over year
    If you are any good, you literally can expect 60-90 hours a week. Yes I said 90 hours a week for projects for long durations. MasterCard is well known in the industry for working folks to death, breaking up families, etc.. The reason you see some folks saying balance is good while others refer to it as a sweat shop is that if you are good you get worked to death, if you are not you get buried in some mundane task until you leave. The people that last at MasterCard are the ones that stay under the radar.
    Reactive culture vs. proactive. Fire fighting is the norm vs. high quality processes and work.
    They don't use innovative technology in St. Louis
    Getting promoted is based entirely on popularity than work or successes
    I've managed for a while and I've never interviewed an American or anyone local to the St. Louis area. All resources I get are Indian or Chinese and are generally imported from other countries to work here as low cost labor under sweat shop conditions.
    Management is constantly posting positive things about work/life balance on Glassdoor to bring in new talent and have a whole campaign around MasterCard trying to convince employees it is a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Take a look at turnover and ask how this is affecting the quality of products, the brands reputation and the bottom line. It's impossible to bring talent into MasterCard that is any good because of our industry reputation. Talented people stay away and we get the leftovers.

"Vice President"

Pros

Some smart people and strong leadership in pockets trying to do the right thing for the company. If you work in one of those groups, it is better.

Cons

The culture is terrible. The company is not set up for success with Technology and Product always working against each other and finger pointing on every issue.

Advice to Management

You are going to continue to lose good people the way you have the last few years unless you change the culture fast and manage out the challenges up to some pretty high levels in the organization.

"Major Culture Shift"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in O'Fallon, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in O'Fallon, MO

I worked at Mastercard full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good Pay
    Good 401k match
    Good Bonus

Cons

Many US jobs lost due to India office opening, however lack of interest and accountability from India office is holding back progress in many areas.
    Upper management does not have your back. Watch out - very high school, playing favorites.
    Too many hours expected (70+) but labeled as "work/life balance" when many hours are being worked in the evenings and weekends.
    Stress level is very high due to lack of management support and understanding of daily operations. They should listen to their Leaders, coach when necessary but at least make an attempt to show you back up your team, yes even in the tough times.
    Management will keep you from moving to another area (even if lateral), very controlling.
    HR will not help you, so don't go there. Fly under the radar. It's the only way to survive until you can find your next opportunity elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Indian mentality is killing the US work ethic. US employees are working ungodly hours due to lack of support, experience, and can-do attitude from the Pune office. Women ARE smart and just as important. Keep that in mind next time you denigrate your female counterparts.

"Senior Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Mastercard full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Switch from technical to Management is easy.

Cons

Poor management, a lot of overtime. It used to be good when I started with the company about 10 years ago, even I need to work a lot of overtime, but I was happy. But In recent years, more politics played. The managers are also double standard, and you can't trust your managers any more, since they shared what you privately told them personal information in a 1x1 meeting with other senior managers. Also, the managers are all share the same boat, so if you have any dispute with your manager, you likely won't have any chance to appeal to your skip level managers.

Advice to Management

Be fair to the engineers that actually delivered the work. More inclusive, not just listen to those you like or look like you. Be honest and respect the people who worked hard for the team and company.

"Stay far far away"

Current Employee - Manager in Purchase, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in Purchase, NY

I have been working at Mastercard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is nothing good about this environment unless you are upper management or c level.

Cons

Cut time off mid year without any announcement effective immediately. Low pay, horrible management, no advancement, advertise they have flex work schedule, not true, horrible benefits, stay far away!

Advice to Management

Lead by example. Don't waste budget money. Care about employees. Don't pass off someone's work as your own.

Mastercard Response

Jul 11, 2017 – Employer Brand Marketing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback about your experience working at Mastercard. We value the input our employees provide and routinely benchmark our plan and program designs... More

Showing 923 of 1,030 reviews