Mastercard Reviews | Glassdoor

Mastercard Reviews

Updated May 25, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Cons

1. "MasterCard is a great place to work because the diverse technologies we work with in a given year exceed most careers"

Current Employee - Technical Consultant in O'Fallon, MO
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant in O'Fallon, MO

I have been working at Mastercard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working at MasterCard (Operations & Technologies Headquarters) is exciting due to the many opportunities that come about in a technology company. There are always changes to our infrastructure and we're constantly pushing the envelope with new and exciting adoption (or creation of) technologies.

What I mean to say is that it is clear how many parts of the Technology Organization of MasterCard, in just a 2 year span, an Operations employee (Analyst through Sr. Professional) will have established a firm working knowledge of many different industry leading products, software or technology types that will decorate their resume beyond what many might achieve in their entire career.

Cons

The only 2 Cons I've heard around the office are really these:

1) Due to the high pressure demands for rapid development or fast turn around on various projects, many find themselves overwhelmed. It certainly isn't a workplace for the meek (though I personally enjoy the pressure, it drives me personally).

2) Appreciation is lacking for those that burst with initiative and improvement efforts that change the company for the good. I've been witness to several cases where an employee has improved a process or business practice that has caused a financial savings greater than that employee's salary (in a few cases these savings are realized annually).

Advice to Management

First, If I could share some things with upper management it would be to work on communication across the different parts of the organization when it comes to product purchasing and development efforts. Many times I find 2 teams that don't work together are sometimes spending even Millions of dollars attempting to solve the same business requirement(s). If they knew such projects were underway, the 2nd one in the pool might be able to leverage the advancements (and investments) made by the first team tackling the issue. This might be achieved by enacting a policy that asks teams to:

1) Post the name & description of the effort they're working on in a searchable forum (say our SharePoint site for example) and

2) That teams seeking to start an effort on a topic first search that forum to see if anyone else is already under way.

Second, Instruct Middle Management to take better initiatives with the HEART award system for their own employees when they do something that really moves the needle. It's ok if these awards come from a manager instead of a peer or other employee.

2. "Fantastic company to build a career!"

Current Employee - Leader in Purchase, NY

I have been working at Mastercard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture and attitude by most of the workforce and management. Energetic and empowering CEO and Executive Committee that creates and gets involved in initiatives in a meaningful way.

Cons

Company went public in 2006 and it seems like there is till a remnant of the "country club" atmosphere. Some people are harder to motivate than others, but i suppose that goes for most workplaces in corporate America. Another potential con is career advancement opportunities depending on the department that you are in. The bigger the department the more opportunities, but also vice versa.

Advice to Management

Push people out of their comfort zones and hold them accountable for their actions and results. Reward the ones who go above and beyond to add meaningful value to their department and the company's bottom line.

3. "Fantastic place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Specialist in O'Fallon, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Specialist in O'Fallon, MO

I have been working at Mastercard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are dedicated and hard working, this is a great company to work for.

Cons

Political, promotions and difficult and salary increases are nil. If you do not get the starting salary you want, you can forget about 'working your way there'.

5. "MasterCard is an amazing place to work if you are motivated for a dynamic career"

Current Employee - Senior Business Leader in Purchase, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Business Leader in Purchase, NY

I have been working at Mastercard full-time

Pros

Honest executive commitment to employee development
    Unlimited corporate opportunities for growth feed great personal opportunities
    Competitive benefits/comp

Cons

Part way through a cultural overhaul, and there is a small (getting smaller) group who is not onboard with the program. They create a disproportionate burden for the rest of us.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great progress.

6. "Doesn't get any better!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in O'Fallon, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in O'Fallon, MO

I have been working at Mastercard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

MasterCard is amazing both in its focus on consumers and on employees. Our benefits are very generous (i.e. 3 weeks of vacation your first year, benefits from Day One, etc.). A ton of training is offered as well as an amazing education assistance policy (100%!!!). Our CEO is down-to-earth, easy to understand and follow his vision, and a good person, what an awesome combination!

Cons

beauracracy is still very heavy in certain areas

Advice to Management

Too many rules, too many forms and procedures. Progress has been made but there is much to do.

7. "Excellent"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Purchase, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Purchase, NY

I worked at Mastercard full-time

Pros

Enjoyed my time work at MasterCard

Cons

Layoffs have occurred over the years

8. "Senior Analyst"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Mastercard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive salary and bonus packages, flexible working hours. A lot of learning opportunities.

Cons

Work life balance can be challenging.

Advice to Management

Allow employees to elect MasterCard stock in the 401K program

"Great work environment"

Current Employee - Leader in Purchase, NY

I have been working at Mastercard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

MasterCard has a lot of employees who know a great deal about the payment industry. The company is also investing a lot in the training of its staff. It's a great place to learn a lot.

The company also has a great culture and most of its employees try to have a good work-life balance.

Cons

The location is not great. The company could have a more flexible work from home policy. There are a lot of meetings and a limited sense of accountability at times. It's sometimes challenging to act swiftly.

Mastercard Response

May 13, 2014 – VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Thanks for taking the time to review your experience thus far!

10. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Mastercard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Office Culture, Salary and development is outstanding

Cons

none... Best company ive worked for.

Advice to Management

Continue to develop talent

11. "a great time to be working at MasterCard"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Mastercard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great benefits and opportunities to intereact across business units. Always comfortable environment.

Cons

sometimes it seems that important information intended for all employees doesn't make its way down the line. There is a barrier with middle management - the top is visible and engaged but info stops in the middle.