Mastercard Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 15, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Vice President/Senior Business Leader"

I worked at Mastercard full-time

Pros

Amazing leadership, innovative products, platforms & consulting solutions and a "priceless" brand that fulfills its promise to providing experiences that really matter.

Cons

Not necessarily a con but a comment to continue the momentum to offer opportunities to account managers who are in need of a change in accountabilities to ensure their personal growth.

2. "Associate Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in O'Fallon, MO
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in O'Fallon, MO

I have been working at Mastercard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management is outstanding and pushes me to do what is best for me, even if it is with another team/department

Cons

There are some managers who show obvious favoritism, but to be honest the company as a whole treats you so well that you can't complain. The favorites are just extra lucky.

Advice to Management

Avoid favoritism

"Can fire you anytime without any reason"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Mastercard full-time

Pros

in office Cafe food is good

Cons

People with poor technical background are in upper management tech positions. They can fire you without any reason or just because they don't like you as a person.

Advice to Management

I worked as contractor and completed tasks on time and team provided positive feedback. We had project planing meeting and created tasks for next 4 months. Progress on tasks were going well and things were on time in some tasks ahead of time. After working for months smoothly I got call that I was fired without telling me any reason. What I guess is that upper management has no idea what developers are working on or may be they just hate you as a person, can be any reason.

"Honestly really love working here"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Mastercard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Culture: It varies slightly by parts of the company, but pretty much everyone is kind, helpful, and willing to share knowledge. The identification as a tech company is also very present in the casual dress code, scooters/ping pong in the office, and the frequency with which we are provided food in meetings and events. I genuinely feel like the company cares about the people who work here.

- Work/Life balance: It's awesome. Our maternity/paternity leave policy is awesome, the office is mostly empty by 6pm, the company only lets you carry over 5 vacation days a year which incentivizes you to take vacation. This is part of why I have no intention of leaving this company any time soon.

- Benefits - in a business role (as opposed to development or tech support, etc, which I can't speak to), the compensation, bonuses, and stock options are generous and fair to market averages. 401k matching is fabulous and vests quickly. Also why I have no intention of leaving any time soon.

- We do some cool stuff - Mastercard has a really interesting business model. We do some cool stuff in the tech space, but are also a juggernaut player when it comes to enabling card payments. As a result, we have the money to spend on exploring good ideas, which makes it an interesting place to work.

- Diversity - Mastercard is not kidding around with it's dedication to diversity. It's one of the reasons people come here, but also what makes me want to stay.

Cons

- It's a big company - There's bureaucracy in every Fortune 500 company. I've worked for 3 of them, and this is actually the most streamlined in terms of processes. We also have to do standardized trainings. Every job has downsides, but bureaucracy is a fair trade off for the stability of salary, benefits, and work/life balance, to me, at least.

- It's not THAT big a company - Mastercard is still only around 12k employees worldwide. I actually see this as a plus in terms of how much responsibility an otherwise mid-level person can have, but it does mean there aren't always endless job options at every level in every group in every location.

Advice to Management

The shift the company has taken in the last 7 years or so has been remarkable. It's going to be interesting to see where it goes next.

"Wonderful colleagues, exciting new products to work on."

Former Employee - Communications Director in Purchase, NY
    Former Employee - Communications Director in Purchase, NY

I worked at Mastercard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Beautiful campus, great location for commuters. Friendly colleagues. Opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Some key executives, especially the former bankers, will grill you and expect all of your attention, even if you have other internal clients.

Advice to Management

Have HR become more involved to advise on issues that can be resolved before they turn into real problems.

6. "Intern"

Former Employee - Internship in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Internship in Miami, FL

I worked at Mastercard part-time

Pros

Great environment. Learned valuable information about the industry, as well as, worked closely with branches from around the world.

Cons

I truly enjoyed my time with this company and have no Cons.

7. "19 Year Anniversary"

Current Employee - IT Consultant Project Manager in O'Fallon, MO
    Current Employee - IT Consultant Project Manager in O'Fallon, MO

I have been working at Mastercard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

MasterCard is a fast paced company that is continually changing which offers staff the opportunity to advance their knowledge from a technology and payments industry perspective.

Outstanding medical, dental, 401 k, and other benefits.

MC supports the LGBT community and this year became the primary sponsor for the St. Louis Pridefest.

MC provides daily communication on the happenings of our teams around the globe. Additionally, MC offers partner benefits and has for many years.

The management team at MC is responsive to issues that may arise in the work place.

Cons

MC has it's own culture that is very competitive because we hire the best and brightest. This can be a difficult adjustment when first entering it's workforce.

Advice to Management

Managers that have the same direct reports for too long can be a signal that their is favoritism. Change in management is good to keep all teams fresh and can create synergy between teams.

8. "Director"

Pros

Culture, salary, location, resume builder

Cons

Don't have many cons to add

9. "Senior Consultant"

I worked at Mastercard full-time

Pros

Great company, forward thinking. Above average benefits. Opportunities to grow within the company.

Cons

Occasional pockets of nepotism but overall good management.

10. "Overall very good experience with the professionals at Mastercard"

Pros

Provides great exposure to all parts of the organization. Once you're in you're able to learn as much of the industry and technology as you're open and willing to.

Cons

A challenge to find roles where you are more than individual contributor - although you work cross functionally. It's hard to move up in the organization.

Showing 981 of 1,093 reviews