Mastercard Reviews | Glassdoor

Mastercard Reviews

Updated May 29, 2017

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance need to improve (in 34 reviews)

• Most departments work in silos and senior management does not respond very positively to requests/ suggestions (in 27 reviews)

"Culture change"

Current Employee - Associate Managing Consultant in O Fallon, MO
    Current Employee - Associate Managing Consultant in O Fallon, MO

I have been working at Mastercard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Money
    Vacation (starting with 31 days)
    Benefits

Cons

competitive, combative culture
    Competent people are let go because they challenge poor managers. Incompetent people are kept because they are easy to manage.

Advice to Management

do your best to keep a collaborative environment

"Sr Product Support Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in O'Fallon, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in O'Fallon, MO

I have been working at Mastercard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Relaxed, nice facility, easy access even from far away.

Cons

Work life balance not good

"Great people, but management neither recognizes nor cares"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Purchase, NY

I worked at Mastercard (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, and great pay and great benefits

Cons

Management - cliquish, old school, was great at making promises but never fulfilled on them, lack of leadership, general corporate cogs in a wheel, and low morale.

Advice to Management

Learn to recognize when you have great talent and learn what it means to keep them. The millennials that are coming into the workforce will not stay at a company that refuses or is fearful of change. Without this acceptance and learning, the culture at the Card will always remain "my grandfather's brand".

5. "Great Benefits and Great Global Results"

Former Employee - Business Leader in San Carlos, CA
    Former Employee - Business Leader in San Carlos, CA

Pros

Great benefits to general employee population. Best 401K I have ever participated in. The global nature of the business is exciting and interesting.

Cons

The old boys club guard is hard to shake... they continue to promote people without full posting of opportunities.
    People are moved to California from NY to work with VC's with little to no background of working with them prior..... difficult position for them to be dropped into.

Not competitive salary wise to the bay area engineering culture

Advice to Management

get your comp competitive to the environment and do not use the national scale. Engineers also need to be interested in working on exciting things.

"Good pay for experienced professionals"

Former Employee - Associate Analyst in Purchase, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Analyst in Purchase, NY

Pros

I thought the pay and opportunity for promotion was good.

Cons

It was a very political environment and how well you did depended on how well liked your manager was among his peers and upper management.

Advice to Management

Embrace different management styles and not just give lip service to diversity.

"Didn't live up to their promises"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Purchase, NY

I worked at Mastercard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits/pay are really good and work/life balance is pretty good as well. As far as big companies go, it offers all the standard things.

Cons

They promised a lot when I interviewed in terms of training, projects, international travel, and generally made it sound like an exciting place to be. That wasn't really the case. The training was slapped together last minute and I got stuck doing mundane projects for the whole year and a half that I worked there. Even when I asked for more challenging work, I was mostly ignored. Beyond that, my boss probably couldn't even tell you where my desk was and I maybe saw him once a month - not ideal in my opinion.

Advice to Management

Be more involved with your lower levels and listen to changes they suggest.

"Overall it is a thorough internship program, and interns are presented with different opportunities and projects."

Former Intern - Merchant Consulting in Purchase, NY
    Former Intern - Merchant Consulting in Purchase, NY

I worked at Mastercard as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance, everyone is encouraged to meet and network within the firm.

Cons

The culture is relatively lax. Smart and efficient employees are not properly rewarded while others aren't as good are not criticized either.

Advice to Management

Hire some better people and raise compensation, especially since the company is in Purchase and not NYC.

"Growing Company, Changing Culture"

Current Employee - Leader in Purchase, NY
    Current Employee - Leader in Purchase, NY

I have been working at Mastercard full-time

Pros

Company continues to grow, C-suite executives are relatively accessible and they encourage employees to rotate across different business areas, which offers the opportunity to take your career in different directions.

Cons

The company is trying to change its culture to align itself more with other technology companies but the process is going through growing pains. Inconsistent titles relative to experience across various groups and work-life balance can vary greatly across groups.

"Great Company To Work For With A Few Major Flaws"

Former Employee - Project Management Senior Specialist in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Project Management Senior Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Mastercard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

MasterCard is a very forward thinking company. I found my time there extremely enjoyable and one where business groups got along and collaborative efforts between departments were encouraged. That old cliche of employees feeling like family actually had some substance here as a good number of people whom I worked with in my department and across a variety of business groups have been with the company for many years. They do hire contractors on as perm employees. Good number of extra office activities also are a bonus. Free tickets, shows, and lunches are often comped.

Cons

The most noticeable and ever present negative to this wonderful company is that the pay rate for managers, analysts, VP's, and technical specialists tends to be somewhere around 30% below the national average for matching roles (this is applicable for the U.S. market only although I have been told this trend is a global one by more distant contacts). This nugget of knowledge is well known within and without the organization. Recruiters and Talent Sourcing Teams often have to set expectations low for new talent and raises and bonuses are not common in North America. I have seen a great number of professionals leave as a result of being way undervalued. I admit that I left for this same reason and this was my most cherished job in my career. A very painful decision for myself and those who left before and after my time. A second equally damaging negative I have seen first hand and continue to hear to this day is that the Latin America division of MasterCard has some deceptive practices when it comes to offering positions and then rescinding them at the last minute. A very close colleague of mine and another former co-worker known to me reported having been offered positions only to never receive callbacks or being placed in the position of turning down other work opportunities in light of being told they had secured a position with MasterCard only to never receive a start date or full offer letter. This is really upsetting as I love this company but I have seen this practice happen to others and have heard that within LATAM this is commonplace.

Advice to Management

Recognize you are failing to retain good talent and your low pay rates discourage new hires who are the future of your company.
    Better efforts need to be made with regards to false promises made by VP's and their direct reports with regards to offering positions to potential workers and then going back on their word and not following through. It is a cheap tatic that effects the lives of people who are trying to gain employment with your company and may result in tricky litigation if not properly supervised.

"Good pay, nice hard-working people, consensus based, lots of change"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Mastercard full-time

Pros

The CEO and CFO are good visionary people. They work hard and are great motivators. St. Louis has a nice campus for employees. The environment is very pleasant and professional. For a small company in terms of employees they are doing quite well financially and have room to grow. The NY office is high energy and houses most of the senior leaders. NY is definitely the place to consider working if you want a long-term career at MasterCard and like the area.

Cons

Compensation and raises could be more generous for the worker bees at lower and middle management levels. Work life balance could be better with long days and/or regular evening and weekend work. Many people at all levels are under a lot of stress and carry heavy work loads. Managers could benefit from learning to say "no" and receive more training on managing people and employee coaching. Skip level meetings and 360 feedback are very informal if at all. Having worked in larger corporate environments there is definitely room for improvement in management training. It is also common for promotions and position changes to be announced and employees may not have had an opportunity to apply internally.

Advice to Management

Systems could be improved and several are dated. Trust your people and move forward with new ideas and encourage leaders to think strategically and then act tactically as opposed to acting first and changing direction multiple times during implementation. Keep it simple and execute on fewer key initiatives. Strive for a more positive work-life balance to keep people refreshed and encourage senior leaders to respect and expect this type of culture.

Mastercard Response

Nov 24, 2014 – VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Thanks for your comprehensive and candid review.