Mastercard Reviews | Glassdoor

Mastercard Reviews

Updated June 24, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Cons

1. "I love working here!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Pros

Life and Work Balance
    Great Culture
    Great Benefits if you are a permanent employee
    Career Development

Cons

It is hard to get a job once you are hired as a contractor. Politics
    It is hard to get a job once you are hired as a contractor. Politics

"Long Term Incentive Plan is a trap"

Current Employee - Business Leader in Chesterfield, MO
    Current Employee - Business Leader in Chesterfield, MO

I have been working at Mastercard (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nothing good any longer here

Cons

Long Term Incentive is a trap that many fall for. You will never get any stocks because they will eliminate your job before those are vested. One of my previous manager was a workaholic who earned good chunk, but they moved his position to Pune. Management that is managing Pune does lot of favors to their friends and family in Pune.

Advice to Management

Do not let good talent leave company. Create a panel to make job elimination decisions.

"MasterCard at Crossroads"

Former Employee - Business Leader in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Business Leader in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Mastercard (More than 8 years)

Pros

Innovation is encouraged. Thoughtful risk taking accepted at lower levels of the organization. Well paid.

Cons

Too many fiefdoms thrashing against each other for attention and funding. Emphasis on pushing work & jobs out of US

Advice to Management

Political infighting crushing morale and driving away talent

"Work From Home"

Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Mastercard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work from home allows me to attend to my family needs.

Cons

The technology that allow you to work from home became a reason for you to get in to the system and fix problems on late nights, very early in the morning, and weekends. If you are on call, you have no life.

Advice to Management

No favoritism please.
    Make sure you are able to know your most productive employees, and recognize them.

"Major Culture Shift"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in O'Fallon, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in O'Fallon, MO

I worked at Mastercard full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good Pay
    Good 401k match
    Good Bonus

Cons

Many US jobs lost due to India office opening, however lack of interest and accountability from India office is holding back progress in many areas.
    Upper management does not have your back. Watch out - very high school, playing favorites.
    Too many hours expected (70+) but labeled as "work/life balance" when many hours are being worked in the evenings and weekends.
    Stress level is very high due to lack of management support and understanding of daily operations. They should listen to their Leaders, coach when necessary but at least make an attempt to show you back up your team, yes even in the tough times.
    Management will keep you from moving to another area (even if lateral), very controlling.
    HR will not help you, so don't go there. Fly under the radar. It's the only way to survive until you can find your next opportunity elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Indian mentality is killing the US work ethic. US employees are working ungodly hours due to lack of support, experience, and can-do attitude from the Pune office. Women ARE smart and just as important. Keep that in mind next time you denigrate your female counterparts.

"Analyst"

Former Employee - Analyst in O'Fallon, MO
    Former Employee - Analyst in O'Fallon, MO

I worked at Mastercard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great Benefits and 401K Match
    -Flexible to promote work-life balance
    -Growing Company

Cons

-Workplace politics is more important than someone's work ethic
    -Management doesn't understand day-to-day processes
    -Several reorgs and layoffs in the past few years

Advice to Management

-Listen to employees and back them when necessary
    -Get familiar with operational processes to understand downstream effects of changes
    -Support employee's desires for career growth

"Great Company, Some leaders immature under pressure"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in O'Fallon, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in O'Fallon, MO

I have been working at Mastercard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tons of amenities, fabulous peer collaboration, supportive peer to peer learning environment, flexible work opportunities. Great interactive training videos to help learn company policies. They are a nice break from the hectic day to day duties. Company is growing and constantly adding jobs. My current position isn't ideal, but I can see several roles to move into when the time is right. It will allow me to stay at a great company at another capacity that is aligned with my career goals.

Cons

There are some business leaders that do not deal well with adversity. It brings the morale down in a department where most people are happy and eager to collaborate. Some managers are virtually unapproachable on a bad day which happens frequently. Its a bad reflection on an otherwise great company. Not too keen on the GBSC ticket program. People processing the tickets are up against such a tight deadline that they want to resolve the ticket, but not necessarily resolve it with the right information. This causes the tickets to get resubmitted and become fires.

Advice to Management

The company is great with training videos and seminars I think it should be required that business leaders take stress management training to help them appropriately channel their emotions when things aren't running smoothly. The company is growing. The stress is only going to get worse. Dig a little deeper into the GBSC ticket program. Its a good premise, but proper weight needs to be given based on the complexity of the issue not a cookie cutter time for all tickets.

"Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Consultant Software Engineer in O'Fallon, MO
    Current Employee - Consultant Software Engineer in O'Fallon, MO

I have been working at Mastercard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very good Benefits,Year End Bonus is awesome,Cutting edge technology,Great Learning opportunities,Collaborative Environment, WFH flexibility, Work life balance is very good.

Cons

Higher management is failing to understand ground realities due to excessive middle management, More Favoritism in promotions, Tough to recognize the real talents.

"Solution Consultant"

Current Employee - Solution Architect/ODM Architect in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Solution Architect/ODM Architect in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Mastercard (More than a year)

Pros

- Get to work with knowledgeable people.
    - Not too much of pressure
    - Very less travel

Cons

- When your team is scattered around the world you need to work longer hours

"Business Leader / Senior Director"

Current Employee - Business Leader/Senior Director in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Business Leader/Senior Director in Miami, FL

I have been working at Mastercard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are great. Salary levels are fair. Been at Masercard close to 5 years now. This company used to be great to work for, but has slowly changed its working environment and culture for the worse.

Cons

Constant changes in process without really understanding whether the change drives efficiency. Management used to lead with a clear vision, value employees and an foster a pleasant, productive environment. It feels like all new leadership hired for the last 1-2 years is well-focused, but has a leadership approach that comes across as very dictatorial, lead by fear way, and for the most part extremely inefficient. Employees are squeezed year by year with more and more demands. This used to be a company that prides itself on work-life balance. Surely 3-6 years ago, it provided its employees with that great balance, but my work-life balance has slowly but surely diminished over the last 1-2 years. I spend more and more hours in the office lately working on demands that are non-constructive. Over the last year, I've had to give up my gym time, time with my family and even work during my paid time off.

What happened, Mastercard? Where did your values go???