Mastercard Employee Reviews about "senior management"

Updated Jan 14, 2021

Found 83 of over 3K reviews

4.3
Mastercard Chief Executive Officer Michael Miebach
Michael Miebach
Pros
  • "Friendly work environment in which personal development is nurtured(in 117 reviews)

• "Great benefits package and salaries(in 103 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Senior management slowing progress down(in 53 reviews)

• "lots of work to do and long hours for software engineer(in 42 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Mastercard and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "senior management"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Intern, less than 1 year

Friendly atmosphere even though it's online

Nov 26, 2020 - Intern in O'Fallon, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of opportunities to connect with senior management across different divisions.

Cons

Not really, other than having it online. They really try to make the most out of it.

2. 3.0
      Former Contractor

Good Company but not much visibility due to size of the Org

Jan 5, 2021 - Human Resources
      Business Outlook

Pros

Mastercard is making strides in improving equity in the workplace. There is still work to be done in this area but I got a sense that the company is aware of it's flaws and working to improve. Excellent benefits package with 10% 401K match

Cons

Sometimes you get the feeling you're only doing a project so that your team gets recognition from senior management. There may not be a real business reason for you doing this work and as a result can lead to you being un motivated.

3. 3.0
      Former Employee

Outperforming F500 Peers, But Not at the Level of Tech Giants

Mar 8, 2020 - Vice President
      Business Outlook

Pros

Mastercard is, from a business perspective, moving incredibly well - and has many different business areas where you can dive in. It outperforms its peers in the F500 from a work and culture perspective -- but it's still a large company that has the challenges of a large workforce.

Cons

With the above in mind: despite it's intentions and potential future trajectory, it lags other tech competition in terms of work opportunities. In particular, it's saddled by more politically driven operators and pockets of the organization that are less talented. Senior Management is strong - while mid-level management is far weaker.

4 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Current Contractor, more than 3 years

Awesome Company to work for with Amazing leadership to take the company to new heights

Nov 21, 2019 - Lead Business Analyst in O Fallon, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work-life balance. Good exposure to all the business functions Treat even the contractors with respect and equality Open door policy so that escalation of something to senior management can be possible Recognition and appreciation if your work is exceptional which keeps motivated

Cons

In my 2-3 years of working here I am unable to find any con and hence I am sticking to it for more years until I do find something substantial.

5. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Progress and Growing Pains in Digital

Oct 14, 2019 - Product Engineer in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Mastercard encourages generalized skills and a flexible career path. It's easy to move horizontally within Mastercard to find the right fit. I cycled between product and engineer multiple times while staying with the same product that I had expertise in. Mastercard has an affirming employee culture. Among the rank and file there are few abrasive personalities and everyone is generally supportive of each other.

Cons

Mastercard Digital tends to assign so many people to overlapping roles that responsibility and accountability is completely removed for all but the most senior management. The way that both product and technology are structured, few groups are empowered to own and execute the success of the product end to end.

4 people found this review helpful
    6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Very Nice Environment to Work, with Caveats

Jul 19, 2019 - Director in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I really like the culture and work environment at Mastercard. In particular I would describe it as respectful, considerate, friendly, supportive and fun. There are pretty good benefits and the work content is pretty good - challenging but not overly-so. Work-life balance is good, which I appreciate. I'm pretty happy at Mastercard, and on balanced I'm more happy here than I have been at just about any other job I've had before.

Cons

The biggest complaint I have is around people (typically senior people) scheduling meetings at 6am, and I've even seen 5:30am. I find this frankly offensive and shows a careless, reckless and thoughtless disregard. It also shows a tremendous amount of ignorance as it's now shown that disrupting people's sleep is a health hazard (read the book "Why we Sleep" by a Harvard medical professor). I'm actually left angry when I receive these reckless meeting invites. An example - one of my colleagues from a different group got an invite to a 5am or 6am meeting from her manager on the day she returned from vacation. She didn't even sleep that night because of the stress of having to get up so early. It turned out that the meeting was a completely routine, unimportant group meeting and her attendance was barely required, but the manager invited her because he was careless thoughtless and reckless - he even acknowledged that he knew it was 'early' but did so anyway. If you need to do some Global call, then schedule two meetings - making it convenient for everyone for at least one of those two meetings. Otherwise don't even invite people whose time zone is before 8am. There's quite a bit of reverse discrimination at work, where I see female employees promoted disproportionately. People will argue with this but just providing my feedback. There are a lot of very effective and talented female senior managers at work, but there are a lot of clueless, inept ones too. On a related note, most promotions are in the headquarters of St. Louis and Purchase - orders of magnitude fewer are in other offices which is giving me pause on staying at MC. The Voya retirement plan does not allow a proper self-directed option. I hate this - I can move to TD Ameritrade but only to buy additional set of mutual funds. This is not useful to me. This is actually causing me to look at other job opportunities, as if/when I leave I can then roll this account into a proper self-directed account. If this Voya restriction were lifted I would be much more likely to stay at MC and no longer look for another job. There are no stock options really - equity component of compensation is crap or non-existent. Vesting schedule is 3 years? WTF - unheard of crap. payment to employees for patents is laughable. I used to get several thousand dollars for my patents in my last job. the MC payment is an insult. i won't even put my name on a patent at MC again - feels insulting to take such a low payment for the innovations. Senior Management makes very poor bets on opportunities - not enough investment, the PME process to overcome threshold to make investments is too high.- too much busy work. Meanwhile silly and obviously pathetic investment opportunities like MasterPass are funded - what a waste of money and no accountability.

10 people found this review helpful
    7. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

MasterCard Advisors

Dec 5, 2019 - Vice President
      Business Outlook

Pros

Compensation, benefits, work life balance

Cons

Senior Management, unclear vision, constant change

8. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good company in a transition time

Mar 20, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

High starting salary and regular raises; lot of responsibility early on; great people; flexible work hours

Cons

Transition pains as we integrate more fully with Mastercard; growing lack of transparency from senior management

2 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee

Excellent Company

Apr 21, 2018 - Engagement Manager in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Impact - the work we do every day has a tangible impact on our clients. Our clients treat us as trusted partners, and as a result I feel personally invested in helping my clients succeed. Career growth - Since APT is growing so quickly, promotion tracks are quick and every year the role changes significantly. Employees at APT are able to get management experience much quicker than at other organizations. People - the people at APT are incredibly smart, hard working and humble. Given that the job is so team-based, being able to work with incredible people every day makes the job more enjoyable. Lifestyle - while the hours in client services are not 40 hours/week, they are not nearly as high as the rest of the consulting industry. Travel exists but is minimal, which keeps the work exciting without being overwhelming. Comp/Benefits - excellent; likely best in class. Senior management - employees are encouraged to provide firm feedback every six months, which senior management actively reads and addresses. Senior management seems to genuinely care about keeping employees happy.

Cons

Working on multiple teams at the same time can lead to longer hours at times, but can be mitigated with diligent time management.

10. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Easiest job you'll ever have if you get hired at the right level.

Mar 4, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The CEO is an amazing leader as well as many of the people holding senior management positions. They are incredibly intelligent yet humble. Diversity is absolutely embraced and the right person for the job is hired regardless of gender, culture, age etc. The culture is polite and everyone treats each other with respect. The employees are very sharp and know all aspects of the payments industry. The company embraces innovation and is a leader in emerging payment models.

Cons

The company is very top heavy with too many people in middle management who really aren't working. This promotes a country club like atmosphere. There is a huge gap between the senior management team and the people who actually get the work done. It's the business leaders that do all the work without reward or recognition. If you want the easiest job in your life and get paid a lot for doing nothing go for a middle management position at MasterCard.

11 people found this review helpful