KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Mastercard

Engaged Employer

Mastercard

Add a Review

Mastercard Employee Reviews about "work environment"

Updated Jan 19, 2021

Found 115 of over 3K reviews

4.3
Mastercard Chief Executive Officer Michael Miebach
Michael Miebach
Pros
  • "Friendly work environment in which personal development is nurtured(in 117 reviews)

• "Great benefits package and salaries(in 103 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Senior management slowing progress down(in 53 reviews)

• "lots of work to do and long hours for software engineer(in 42 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Mastercard and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work environment"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Intern, less than 1 year

Great Internship!

Jan 19, 2021 - Intern in Purchase, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Was a really great experience; Immersive, lots of opportunities to work on interesting projects, and a very friendly work environment

Cons

Not many cons to think of!

2. 5.0
      Current Employee

Wonderful place to work

Aug 28, 2020 - Software Development Engineer I in O'Fallon, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great support around disabilities, fun work environment, and ample opportunity

Cons

Burnout is common and work/life balance gets skewed without being openly acknowledged

1 person found this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Current Employee

Wonderful work environment

Aug 20, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fantastic work environment, management is stellar and the company gives opportunities to grow within the company.

Cons

Haven't yet encountered any cons

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work

Aug 6, 2020 - Customer Experience Analyst in O Fallon, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing 401(k) Flex-work possibilities Challenging work environment

Cons

Not great healthcare benefits Sometimes not as fast paced as smaller fintechs

5. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

It really depend on which department your are working for and who is your boss.

Aug 28, 2020 - Staff Accountant in Saint Louis, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work environment in general speaking.

Cons

corporate politics everywhere, you really need to watch out. Boss plays favoritism.

4 people found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Place to Work

Mar 11, 2020 - Senior Software Development Engineer in O'Fallon, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great Culture, good benefits, strong team cohesion, fast paced and exciting work environment

Cons

navigating red tape, some internal politics at the higher levels

2 people found this review helpful
    7. 4.0
      Current Contractor, less than 1 year

Decent Job

Jul 9, 2020 - Master Card Agent in O'Fallon, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Cool work environment and decent training program

Cons

No Paid time off/ benefits in general & the hours kinda suck

8. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Very Nice Environment to Work, with Caveats

Jul 19, 2019 - Director in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I really like the culture and work environment at Mastercard. In particular I would describe it as respectful, considerate, friendly, supportive and fun. There are pretty good benefits and the work content is pretty good - challenging but not overly-so. Work-life balance is good, which I appreciate. I'm pretty happy at Mastercard, and on balanced I'm more happy here than I have been at just about any other job I've had before.

Cons

The biggest complaint I have is around people (typically senior people) scheduling meetings at 6am, and I've even seen 5:30am. I find this frankly offensive and shows a careless, reckless and thoughtless disregard. It also shows a tremendous amount of ignorance as it's now shown that disrupting people's sleep is a health hazard (read the book "Why we Sleep" by a Harvard medical professor). I'm actually left angry when I receive these reckless meeting invites. An example - one of my colleagues from a different group got an invite to a 5am or 6am meeting from her manager on the day she returned from vacation. She didn't even sleep that night because of the stress of having to get up so early. It turned out that the meeting was a completely routine, unimportant group meeting and her attendance was barely required, but the manager invited her because he was careless thoughtless and reckless - he even acknowledged that he knew it was 'early' but did so anyway. If you need to do some Global call, then schedule two meetings - making it convenient for everyone for at least one of those two meetings. Otherwise don't even invite people whose time zone is before 8am. There's quite a bit of reverse discrimination at work, where I see female employees promoted disproportionately. People will argue with this but just providing my feedback. There are a lot of very effective and talented female senior managers at work, but there are a lot of clueless, inept ones too. On a related note, most promotions are in the headquarters of St. Louis and Purchase - orders of magnitude fewer are in other offices which is giving me pause on staying at MC. The Voya retirement plan does not allow a proper self-directed option. I hate this - I can move to TD Ameritrade but only to buy additional set of mutual funds. This is not useful to me. This is actually causing me to look at other job opportunities, as if/when I leave I can then roll this account into a proper self-directed account. If this Voya restriction were lifted I would be much more likely to stay at MC and no longer look for another job. There are no stock options really - equity component of compensation is crap or non-existent. Vesting schedule is 3 years? WTF - unheard of crap. payment to employees for patents is laughable. I used to get several thousand dollars for my patents in my last job. the MC payment is an insult. i won't even put my name on a patent at MC again - feels insulting to take such a low payment for the innovations. Senior Management makes very poor bets on opportunities - not enough investment, the PME process to overcome threshold to make investments is too high.- too much busy work. Meanwhile silly and obviously pathetic investment opportunities like MasterPass are funded - what a waste of money and no accountability.

Continue reading
      10 people found this review helpful
    9. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Enjoyed working with most people

Feb 5, 2020 - Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

It was a good working environment.

Cons

Offices aren't all in ideal locations

10. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great company to work for!!

Nov 18, 2019 - Director in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent pay/benefits Creative work environment Interesting projects Great opportunities to work across many different disciplines

Cons

Very difficult to get promoted Strong emphasis on external candidates rather than promoting from within

Viewing 1 - 10 of 115 Reviews