Masterworks Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Stephen Woodworth

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"One of the best agencies"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Poulsbo, WA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Poulsbo, WA

I worked at Masterworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people at all levels of the company - joining Masterworks and onboarding was easy (compared to other agencies). You get a slow start with a lot of training and everyone is supportive of each other. I worked on projects that were familiar to me and was able to expand my DM knowledge and work on complex digital marketing projects as well. The Masterworks core values of being kindgdom focused and innovative are more than bullet points on a website - they are being lived each day in the office. Working remotely (and in another time zone) was not a problem.

Cons

The company is going through some changes, but no employees that I am aware of feel in danger of losing their positions. Everyone may have to learn and bend a bit. Being in client services (at any agency) is an always on call type of position and here it is no different.

Advice to Management

The phrase "lean in" may be over used. Otherwise, Management is very accessible and sincere.

2. "Great place to work!"

I worked at Masterworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great upper management.
    Great people to work with.
    Great benefits.
    Free and comfortable work environment.
    Remote work force growing.

Cons

Work life balance is a strong goal of Masterworks. However, I see more employees working well beyond a 40 hour week. Maybe it's just the type of people we wire? ie. Hard working individuals who don't mind working over 40hrs/wk?

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work on improving process. Keep investing into retaining employees.

3. "System Administrator"

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Poulsbo, WA
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Poulsbo, WA

I have been working at Masterworks full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. They care about their employees. They are working hard to make sure that the environment at work is healthy. There are opportunities for promotion.

Cons

It is an agency so if you are on the client services side it can be a pretty demanding job. Have experienced a lot of growth so they are working through that and changing their view on how to run a company as it grows.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to employees and the consultants you bring in to make this the best place to work.

"MW Review"

I have been working at Masterworks part-time

Pros

Good Perks
    Friendly Staff
    Training
    Potential
    They do a good job of onboarding, they need to keep that up throughout the course of someone's time there.

Cons

Hierarchical
    Growing pains
    Office Politics
    Management could learn to listen to and care about employees more

Advice to Management

Just have more of an open ear!

5. "Best Place I've Ever Worked"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Poulsbo, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Poulsbo, WA

I have been working at Masterworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tons of perks. Working from home, free food, parties, lots of coffee and a fantastic environment.

I started working at the absolute lowest position at the company but was treated with respect anyway and moved up quickly.

This company truly cares about their employees and cultivating an environment of learning and collaboration. They recognize hard work publically and are evolving to meet the demand of new clients.

Cons

If you get on the wrong team, it can be difficult (there are people around who are hard to work with, but there are at every company).

Deadlines are sometimes really tight, but everyone pitches in. And, that's what this kind of agency does.

Sometimes expectations aren't clear and it takes a while to even find out you messed up on something.

Advice to Management

Clear communication is key. You're super supportive to the people you're managing, but sometimes difficult to approach for anyone else.

"No good, very bad place"

Pros

If you are lucky enough to be anointed into the leadership council or its chosen friends, life for you here will be glorious. Carte blanche to work on whatever projects you want, poor performance with no consequences, liberal expense account and maybe even an assistant to do most of your work for you.

If you are not in this small, select group, then skip to the "cons" section because there are no pros to working here for you.

Cons

The level of turnover at this company is nuts. Low-level employees are constantly disrespected, ignored and gaslighted. Morale is low, employees complain frequently.

Management has driven so many people out of the company that they have exhausted the local talent pool. HR has been forced instead to recruit poor, unsuspecting men with young families to relocate to Poulsbo where they realize that it's too expensive to live in Seattle on what Masterworks pays you and therefore you have to live in Poulsbo where, should you ever want to leave this horrible place and never come back, your job prospects are severely limited.

Advice to Management

The president is practically retired, let him do everyone a favor and sell it to someone who knows how to run a real business or close the company down and put everyone out of their misery already.

"Great place to work."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Poulsbo, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Poulsbo, WA

I worked at Masterworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Supportive, forward thinking, accomodating, kind, supportive

Cons

A little complex in it's function

Advice to Management

Keep up the amazing enviornment

"Worst People I Have Ever Worked With"

I worked at Masterworks full-time

Pros

They entice you with an impressive host of perks from fully paid commuting costs, liberal teleworking policy, free food, fancy computers, corporate expense accounts and more. But do not be fooled! You will need all these things and more when you are working 60+ hour weeks to meet ridiculous deadlines or putting up with nonsense from your incompetent, belligerent co-workers.

Cons

As my headline said, the people are some of the worst human beings I've ever had the misfortune to work with. They might seem really friendly at first and put on a front about how much they care about you. But the same guy who is dropping dinner off at your house one day after your wife has a baby will turn around and throw you under the bus to save his own skin in front of your boss the very next day.

Advice to Management

Culture flows from top to bottom. Stop promoting solely based on seniority. This is causing your business to stagnate and die from leadership that is so threatened by new ideas they choose to let go of good people rather than admit they don't know what they are doing. A company your size should not have such a high level of turnover.

"On the leading edge of nonprofit fundraising"

I have been working at Masterworks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Masterworks is easily the top agency for faith-based nonprofits looking for flawless traditional and integrated marketing, but Masterworks is also working on the leading edge of really exciting fundraising ideas. That's why I love working here.

There is a high priority on benefits. It's like a big city agency in a little, family-friendly town. PTO is generous. Remote working is encouraged.

Our clients are the best. Every day I'm excited that I get to work with such cool people who are trying to change the world.

Cons

Masterworks is building on it's legacy of direct response fundraising. Rapidly building new products and service inevitably leads to process growing pains. While we're going through some of those now I feel confident in our track record of evolving.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in the future of fundraising.

"Employee"

I have been working at Masterworks full-time

Pros

Great clients to partner with, always working toward best way to help them

Cons

I don't have any cons