Cover image for MasteryConnect

60% Recommend to a Friend
36% Approve of CEO

Found 46 of over 46 reviews

3.5
MasteryConnect Co-Founder/CEO Mick Hewitt (no image)
Mick Hewitt

70 Comments

Tech

457.3K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=MasteryConnect~942481
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great people to work with and for.(in 9 reviews)
  • "Great benefits.(in 7 reviews)
  • "Pay is decent and they pay 100% of benefits.(in 4 reviews)
  • "Free lunches, swag, and more!(in 3 reviews)
  • "Fun atmosphere and dynamic culture with a concentration on drive and hard work.(in 3 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0

Weed and Feed

Mar 5, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people to work with and for. Strong sense of Team and unified vision for the company. Finally have a mission statement and clear sense of vision. Executive Team loves their company and want to be around to help it grow in a strong and meaningful way that can provide careers for us long-term (instead of grow as fast as you can to sell). People at MasteryConnect are creative, supportive, approachable and encourage you to speak up and reach out.

Cons

Still feel some effects of previous selfish and poor management that caused the 2 RIF's.

2. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Fast paced, innovative work environment

Feb 2, 2021 - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Transformative Technology for the Classroom

Cons

Some Schools / Districts are not ready for the changes we empower

Be the first to find this review helpful
  3. Join the MasteryConnect team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Lost it's way

May 24, 2017 - Sales in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great company, great product, great vision

Cons

Bad apples hired in leadership, unwillingness to accept responsibilities for mistakes led to a nosedive for the company

1 person found this review helpful
  5. 5.0

New Direction / Still A Great Place to Work

Feb 21, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Business has gone through some big changes over the last year which have been tough on all of us, but the end result is a refined and simplified product roadmap and company vision and a clear path to sustainability. There are really good people here who largely care just as much about the mission of the company (help teachers improve student learning) as they do about helping the company succeed financially. Competitive pay and amazing benefits. Work life balance is better than before but still very busy.

Cons

Still figuring some things out, trying to operate efficiently with a smaller team, but missteps are probably a normal part operating a newly restructured company

6. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Company is not where it should or could be

Mar 6, 2017 - Account Manager in Orem, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice people Apple products Office location Beer and pizza on Friday Slack Ping pong table A young crowd

Cons

Layoffs because sales didn't hit their numbers Clients that make the most noise got what they want They chase dollars and get into trouble SFAT was promised and wasn't built XBOX only, no PS4 Most of the Nerf guns don't work

7. 1.0
    Former Employee

Seriously?!

Mar 2, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nothing. But really, nothing. The MasteryConnect that once was could be considered the best place in town. Now? Not even close.

Cons

Even after leaving the company they continue to bad mouth and bother previous employees. Actually, the bad mouthing is shared with current and previous. It's like that crazy ex-girlfriend you just can't shake.

8. 1.0

Terrible Management

Feb 13, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Salary is ok. Health insurance is good. The hours are good.

Cons

The product is not very competitive anymore and salespeople are struggling to get new customers. The morale is very low, and there is very little communication. The elephant in the room is the management team. They are the worst I've worked for. It's impossible to trust them because they are so negative, and arrogant. They talk bad about people that leave. Many employees are looking for other jobs.

5 people found this review helpful
  9. 4.0
    Former Employee

Miss it

Dec 7, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

I truly loved working for MasteryConnect. It felt like there were huge opportunities for growth for me individually, and the company encouraged that growth. My coworkers were bright and great to work with. Great amenities, equipment, office and benefits. Inspiring product. It was probably the most exciting place I've worked, and I felt it important for others to know that.

Cons

Despite claiming to be transparent and not reporting much negative news, the company was forced/decided to lay off over half of it's employees in 2016 over two separat RIF, and I still don't fully know what happened. Even the CEO was voted out by the board, so I can't offer any outlook on where it will be going. I always had a feeling that it was "too good to be true", and that turned out to be right.

1 person found this review helpful
  10. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Time Well Spent

Dec 2, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work was rewarding with knowing that what I did directly helped teachers and students. Co-workers were excellent, positive people who I loved working with. Lots of good benefits/perks (unlimited PTO, nice computers, snacks. etc). Very open work environment that allows freedom to explore and try new things that can improve the product.

Cons

Like a lot of the recent reviews state, it has become apparent that there were/are a lot of issues with company management. The founders had thought they'd work on MasteryConnect for several years and then sell it off to move on. While I definitely don't understand all the intricacies of their goals, it does seem like they are still trying to figure out what to do now that it hasn't sold. They speak optimistically about it's future, but I think for most employees, there is a lot of uncertainty.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  11. 2.0

Management Needs a Revamp

Nov 30, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

This is an awesome platform that can have a tremendously positive impact on schools and districts. There are a lot of very passionate people who are dedicated to the success of the company (but those people are fading out).

Cons

- Massive layoffs over the past year; 2/3 of employees have been let go or have left the company. - Most of the leadership team lacks leadership skills and are not utilizing, valuing, or recognizing employee contributions and skill sets. - Strategic, long-term product vision and project plans are not being developed (or just not being communicated with staff). - LOW morale. - Lack of cross-functional team collaboration. - Bugs and product issues not being addressed in a timely manner (also not strategically).

4 people found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 46 Reviews
</>Embed

MasteryConnect Reviews FAQs

MasteryConnect has an overall rating of 3.5 out of 5, based on over 46 reviews left anonymously by employees. 60% of employees would recommend working at MasteryConnect to a friend and 50% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, MasteryConnect employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.4 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at MasteryConnect. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

60% of MasteryConnect employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated MasteryConnect 3.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.6 for culture and values and 3.3 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at MasteryConnect to be culture, career development, benefits and the cons to be senior leadership, management.