Matalan Retail Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Matalan Retail Managing Director Jason Hargreaves
Jason Hargreaves

Pros
  • 20% discount on already cheap stock (in 23 reviews)

• 20% staff discount usually rising to 30% for certain weeks near Christmas (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Minimum wage, which isn't much when you're only given a 8 hours each week (in 36 reviews)

• Work life balance not great with shift work (in 12 reviews)

1. "Good company"

I worked at Matalan Retail part-time

Pros

Really good company to work for, managers are friendly and the job is varied. Lots of chance for promotion and the work is extremely interesting. I would recommend matalan.

Cons

Sometimes the work was a little repetitive and customers could be quite difficult. the main issue is the milton keynes store is unbelievably hot because the air conditioning is broken!

Advice to Management

Fix the air conditioning in the milton keynes store, especially in the stock room. also rotate GSA around fitting room duty and make sure people are not left on fitting rooms too long.

2. "Great people."

Former Employee - General Sales Assistant in Liverpool, England (UK)
    Former Employee - General Sales Assistant in Liverpool, England (UK)

I worked at Matalan Retail part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with, store management were fantastic too, really made everyone feel welcome. Flexible working was really helpful as I could work easily around my degree.

Cons

The pay wasn't the best as it was minimum wage. The area manager also wasn't great, would never engage with the floor staff, I got the impression he thought he was above us.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, I couldn't have asked for better managers in the store I was at. Area manager needs to be a bit more approachable when visiting stores.

3. "Floor Manager"

Current Employee - Floor Manager in Bury, North West England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Floor Manager in Bury, North West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Matalan Retail full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I had an excellent induction programme at the Warrington Academy store which allowed me to hit the ground running in my own store.
    Having been a manager in the Trafford Centre for a number of years, I am now able to enjoy a much better work life balance and there are far more opportunities available for internal progression.
    Team engagement and morale is put before everything else in the store, which is testament to a really strong store management team and tight-knit group in general, which has led to a consistently strong store performance.
    I have already attended four different training masterclasses in my first few months, none of which was ever offered in my previous management role at GAP.
    I have also had the opportunity to become directly involved with the Your Voice area of the business which has given me a more rounded view of all elements of the business and the opportunity to approach senior Matalan figures with feedback and ideas.

Cons

No real downsides as there is a clear pathway for internal progression and a great platform for sharing feedback through Your Voice

Advice to Management

Keep living the Matalan values no matter what!

5. "Fast paced exciting retailer"

Current Employee - Manager in Banbury, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in Banbury, England (UK)

I have been working at Matalan Retail full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good wage
    Fast paced and always exciting
    Good progression scheme for all levels
    20% discount as soon as start
    Improving service daily for all customers

Cons

If you don't like change or your are inflexible not a place for you.
    Must love working with customers and delivering great service

Advice to Management

Keep on supporting team to grow
    Identify team who want to progress and support the training available

6. "Matalan team leader. I love being a team leader for matalan. You get to interact with customers on a daily basis."

Current Employee - Team Leader
    Current Employee - Team Leader

I have been working at Matalan Retail full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great interaction with customers and staff.
    Being able to talk to managers and find out about how the business works in more detail.
    Being in charge of a section and knowing what is selling good in your store and how you can get creative in making outfits to help drive sales.

Cons

There aren't any cons of being a team leader or working for matalan as a company. I love my job and what I do.

Advice to Management

Just keep interacting with the team leaders ad they love all the information that comes down from you. We love the responsibility that you give us as well as the support and help.
    Keep up the good work

7. "I've been a store manager for 12 years and worked for the company for 18 years. I currently manage the Livingston store."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Livingston, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Livingston, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Matalan Retail full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A great company to work for if you want to progress.
    As a buisness, we are always learning and adapting to be the best we can be.
    A well run company with a real sense of direction from our senior management team.

Cons

The challenge we face is adapting to the current climate and adapting the way we manage, helping us become more effective leaders.

8. "Company not great but the people made it!"

Current Employee - General Sales Assistant in Chelmsford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - General Sales Assistant in Chelmsford, England (UK)

Pros

The best reasons to work for matalan was the team members, they made the shifts bareable. The management team were lovely aswell and always made me feel valued.

Cons

The pay was horiffic, and alot of the tasks were very mundance and monotonous, not much opportunities for promotion.

Advice to Management

To continue the positive attitude and feedback to team memebers, would be great ifyou could act on the suggestions box as most were ignored.

9. "Fantastic Company"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Matalan Retail full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for,lots of Learning and Development opportunities, good management structure. Culture in stores

Cons

Any place of work is what you make of it..if you involve and engage

10. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Matalan Retail full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Matalan has a great culture, hard work is rewarded and expectations are realistic. The business is always looking forward and puts employees first.

Cons

Retail in general is always challenging, being a value retailer the company is always pushing to do more with less.

11. "I love my job"

Pros

Great company that promote a family atmosphere in stores, their values are very relatable and the training I received was second to none

Cons

There are no cons. They are the best retailer I have ever worked with. I have 20 years retail experience

Advice to Management

None all are really good to work with