Material ConneXion Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Research Intern"

Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Material ConneXion as an intern

Pros

Open team, always receptive to new ideas, allows interns to explore topics and research and then helps guide the process. Management is open minded and willing to consult interns during product and process development.

Cons

Internship program is currently unpaid. Because this is located in New York, this proves to be quite expensive for those outside the state.

2. "A happy space, with unhappy employees"

Pros

The office is beautiful, truly a cool environment to work in. The people were amazing. I've never had colleagues (below management) that were truly invested in my best interest and so willing to help when they could.

Cons

There was a distorted outlook for the growth of the company, consequently a distorted expectation of their employees. Everyone there worked hard but expectations were still beyond grasp--a 17yr old company is just not going to grow 200% in a year.

Despite everyone willing to help eachother, everyone seemed generally unhappy with their roles, work and management.

Advice to Management

Transparency with your employees.
    More leniency with their work schedule.
    Overtime pay when they do the overtime work.

3. "Feels Like Home"

I have been working at Material ConneXion full-time

Pros

I have worked at Material ConneXion for 3.5 years. There is such a great energy in this office. Everyone here is so friendly and fun to be around. We have all become one big family. I really enjoy the environment and the managers are very hands-on and always open to new ideas from their employees.

Cons

It can be stressful sometimes because of the tight deadlines and we are not always given enough notice when new projects come up.

4. "Open and Positive Environment"

I have been working at Material ConneXion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I first applied (about a year and a half ago) I was a bit put off by the negative reviews on this site. However, I had met a few of the people who would become my coworkers a couple of years prior, and I had a good feeling about them, so I decided to go for it. My team is really close-knit, and my manager is super supportive of my growth within the company. As long as you work hard and show initiative, the company will reward you for it.

Cons

The relatively open floor plan can be nice, but sometimes the noise level can get a bit distracting.

Advice to Management

Management has been very open to new ideas and suggestions, so if I have "advice" for them, I bring it directly to them, rather than post it anonymously. Management should pay less attention to negative reviews on sites such as this one; the majority of employees are happy and the open environment fosters a sense of trust.

5. "Poor Management"

I worked at Material ConneXion full-time

Pros

An excellent environment, good coworkers, interesting work.

Cons

Management does not seem either together or on course. They are not clear with employees.

Advice to Management

Don't be so obtuse with your employees - it's not hard, just pretend they are adult human beings like you!

"Wouldn't Recommend Interning Here"

Former Intern - Library Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Library Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Material ConneXion as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Exposure to new materials everyday. Coworkers are friendly.

Cons

There's a lot of micromanagement that happens. Unsatisfied employees. All you do as an intern is help organize and manage the library database. Repetitive work everyday.

Advice to Management

Connect with your staff more.

"Material ConneXion is a stepping stone to better opportunities"

I have been working at Material ConneXion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employees of Material ConneXion are some of the best. Everyone gets along and looks out for each other. It is definitely like family.

Cons

The upper management has no management experience.

Advice to Management

Listen carefully to the grumblings of staff

"Material ConneXion is a great concept but lacks long term vision and strategy"

I have been working at Material ConneXion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Opportunity to learn about the latest trends, designs, and materials
    - Opportunity to meet different designers and manufacturers
    - Free MOMA passes and opportunity to attend various museum parties and design events
    - Young culture

Cons

- No opportunity for growth
    - No longer strategy
    - Micromanagement
    - Employees do not feel appreciated

Advice to Management

Material ConneXion should figure out their long term strategy and communicate their objective clearly to the team. In addition, the upper management should walk the walk to give employees greater confidence in the company. They should treat each individual as an asset and trust their judgements so that their employees are motivated to give their 100% for the company.

"Unqualified management, little or no resources to do your job"

Pros

A great opportunity to work extremely hard for the experience.

Cons

• Uppermost management is highly volatile, very restrictive and very likely to micromanage every employee in every department.
    • Compensation is incredibly low, and any extra effort goes unrewarded—the employees are seen as easily replaceable.
    • A tireless, unrewarded staff whose efforts and talents are diminished by upper management
    • Upper management are not hesitant to show preference for a select few employees.
    • The environment is highly toxic and dysfunctional, again mostly owing to the upper management style and handling of conflicts that inevitably arise from a claustrophobic workplace.

Advice to Management

Given that management had no prior experience in running a company, or training for it, it would be good to get some exposure to management of employees, basic dos and don'ts of treating employees in ways that may not be construed as racist or sexist.

"Interesting business, strange work environment..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Material ConneXion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

some smart people work there. If you are interested in design and architecture and materials it is interesting. International group of employees

Cons

president of the company micromanages and is oddly and unnecessarily paranoid. Constant threats to staff that they'll lose their jobs. head of reseach v. smart but narcissistic and inappropriate at times. Not resourced correctly for volume of work. Smoke and mirrors keep reality from members / clients.

Advice to Management

trust staff more. stop with the electronic monitoring. Establish a more flexible working environment and support working women (hello? maternity leave anyone?).