MathWorks Reviews in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

Updated August 11, 2017

Boston, MA Area

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work from home policy is non-existent (in 56 reviews)

• The performance review process is very unclear and inconsistent (in 27 reviews)

1. "Great place"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Natick, MA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Natick, MA

I have been working at MathWorks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging work, great environment, your voice can be heard regardless of position within organization

Cons

Culture and organization are stable, so not suitable if you rely on organization shifts to drive career growth.

2. "Technical Writer"

Current Employee - Technical Writer in Natick, MA
    Current Employee - Technical Writer in Natick, MA

I have been working at MathWorks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Diversity, Job Security, Exciting Work, supporting staff, pay

Cons

slow growth, pay, suburb location, one, two

3. "Nice place to work"

Former Employee - Visual Design Intern in Natick, MA
    Former Employee - Visual Design Intern in Natick, MA

I worked at MathWorks (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice environment and nice mentors.

Cons

Commute is a little bit hard from Boston city to Natick

4. "Excellent, engaging place to work!"

I have been working at MathWorks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to work with bright people on tools that make a real difference in the worlds of science and engineering. Great to see all the amazing applications and products built with our tools, and the people helped by them. Collaborative work environment. Company really lives by its values. For example, "Continuous improvement" means continuously improving our products, and also giving employees opportunities for self improvement. Very good work/life balance. Excellent campus.

Cons

While there are understandable and admirable processes in place to ensure quality and ensure ample consideration of decisions, there are times that these processes seem unnecessarily burdensome.

"Great place to work despite lousy work-from-home & time-off policies"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA

I have been working at MathWorks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

MathWorks is a great place to work. Roles can be challenging, "crunch" is pretty rare for most positions, and you're working with qualified, smart people. Managers are effective. There is plenty of room for growth in most roles, and the mechanisms for receiving and providing feedback are strong. The company culture is good, though it's not the stereotypical 'Silicon Valley' type culture that might be typical of other software companies.

Pay is competitive or on the higher side when accounting for bonuses.

There is a generally good work/life balance, and while there isn't a lot of vacation time, most positions have sensible hours and it's rare that you'll be interrupted on the weekends or during your own time.

The direction of the company seems positive. MathWorks has a positive social agenda, and the company is open to feedback.

Overall, it is a great place to work.

Cons

The work-from-home policy and time off policies are really bad. It's not just that the policy is bad -- 3 work from home days a year -- it is that the culture around the policy is toxic. Despite that very few people ever work from home, when somebody does work from home, there is a constant suspicion from managers and peers throughout the company. The policy itself, 3 days a year, is very restrictive and not flexible at all, but because the company has such a strict policy about working from home, this has become a culture issue as well.

The policy for sick time is similar. While the policy is 'unlimited' there is a cultural stigma against using sick time and an unwritten but passively enforced policy against being "too sick." The company has gotten slightly better with this, as now partial sick days can be used for doctors appointments, which wasn't the case until recently.

The vacation policy is lacking as well. Employees can earn 15 days a year from years 1-5, and then earn 1 extra day between years 6-10, and then receive 5 earned days after 15 years. This makes a very slow climb even after you've been at the company longer than the industry average.

Advice to Management

Reconsider the work from home policy and actively work to break down the anti-work-from-home culture. This may mean more manager training so that the culture of suspicion does not pervade departments like it does now.

Also reconsider how employees accrue vacation time. It would be nice if employees accrued that extra day between years 1-5, rather than years 5-10, and then got the 5-day 'bonus' after year 10. To work somewhere for 10 years and only accrue 20 days of vacation feels like a slog.

"Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Framingham, MA

I have been working at MathWorks full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Coworkers are very competent and genuinely care about you.
    Code is awesome, at least our stack.
    Work is challenging.
    I get to learn a lot.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind yet. More time to work from home would help. Better compatibility with latest c++ standards would help, but they are working on it.

7. "Application Support Engineer"

Current Employee - Applications Support Engineer in Natick, MA
    Current Employee - Applications Support Engineer in Natick, MA

Pros

Great Team structure
    Good Work ethics
    Nice group engagemnets

Cons

Not a lot of growth
    Natick is not so happening

8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA

I have been working at MathWorks (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoy working here as I feel we're providing a great product and services, but not trying to sell them for the sake of selling. There is an emphasis on providing value to customers. The work environment is positive and fun. I'm definitely value working for a company that I feel is making a positive impact.

Cons

Some will argue that decision making is slow, there may be some truth to that, but I also feel that it's open so you know why decisions are made.

"Bring your A game to MathWorks"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA

I have been working at MathWorks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best and coolest place I've ever worked.Super smart people who will challenge you. Everything you create will be reviewed by others, which is both a plus and a minus. The upside is that you will do better work because of that review.
    The interview process can be demanding. I am an experienced worker and put 40 hours into prep for the many interviews I had @ MathWorks. Extreme? Maybe, but I knew a great opportunity when I saw one. Being very well prepared for a job interview here is a very good thing.

Great culture, great food, a very caring organization to work for. Working here is akin to the culture I've seen when visiting Google. Work pace is very measured. This is not a start-up culture where people drink ten Red Bulls and work till midnight, then trash half of what they did the following day because they were up late grinding stuff out.

If you want that manic culture, (which hey, it can be fun), this is not a place for you. MathWorks wants more heat than light if you get my drift.

Just come here knowing you'll be asked to do your best- this isn't a good place to coast, it ain't possible.

Cons

Not much to complain about. If you saw the benefits, the work /life balance, beautiful offices, etc, you would count your lucky stars, like I do. Seriously. People here complain when the latte machine is broken, boohoo. Those people simply do not remember what the real world is like outside these doors. There's no reason not to work here, unless you would prefer an insane start-up culture.

Advice to Management

Keep doin' watcher doin.

10. "Quality Engineer"

Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Natick, MA
    Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Natick, MA

I have been working at MathWorks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work culture and environment, challenging job that keeps you motivated, good and helpful co-workers

Cons

compensation might not be upto the industry standards