Mathematica Program Associate Reviews | Glassdoor

Mathematica President Paul Decker
Paul Decker
  1. "LOVE IT!"

Program Associate

I have been working at Mathematica

Pros

Excellent people to work with, job growth, benefits, flexibility, work/life balance, promotions, and we do amazing work.

Cons

There are some politics that take place at the senior level but it seldom affects folks at the program associate level.

Advice to Management

Allow people to work on projects at the International Division - don't close yourself off!

Mathematica2017-01-23

"Good support and friendly faces right out of College"

Current Employee - Program Associate

I have been working at Mathematica full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of freedom to work on projects that you find interesting. TONS of support from coworkers and supervisors for new staff. I felt really welcome when I started. Flexible hours, and work from home options are a plus. In general, people really care about the work that they're doing and want to make a positive difference in the world.

Cons

The work can be fairly isolating. While each team is collaborative, very little teamwork occurs in-person. Instead, everyone spends tons of time sending emails and talking to each other over the phone. It can be draining to sit in front of a computer and not meaningfully interact with another person face-to-face for days at a time. Additionally, while the company is making real progress with issues of diversity and inclusion, it still has a ways to go with fully integrating a comprehensive understanding of social justice in the workplace culture. That said, I don't know of any other company in this sector that's clearly handling these issues better, so this is not much of a con. Maybe with that context, this is a pro, since Mathematica appears to be ahead of many other orgs even though it's not enough.

Mathematica2018-12-13

"Great experience in research field"

Current Employee - Program Associate I in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Mathematica full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work on large government projects

Cons

Poor active development of junior level staff (poor training or educational investment).

Mathematica2018-03-12

"Program Associate"

Former Employee - Program Associate in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Mathematica full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Collegial environment with great career growth and development opportunities.

Cons

Office politics, disconnected executive management.

Advice to Management

Be more responsive to junior staff concerns.

Mathematica2018-02-22

"Has potential but falls short"

Current Employee - Program Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Mathematica full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work life balance is second to none Great benefits Overall nice colleagues committed to the vision DC has a modern office space with nice amenities

Cons

I've heard Mathematica described as a place filled with unhappy people who refuse to leave. And in my experience that is exactly right. It is close to being an amazing company. Unfortunately it is plagued with lagging leadership who won't innovate or change, disinterested managers who make or break you, inconsistent project directors with asinine demands, and junior-mid level staff constantly having their days hijacked by crises that could have been avoidable.

Advice to Management

As you grow, you must adapt! you need innovative services that stay competitive. Managers and project directors who are held accountable. Software that gets the job done. And proper training and systems to ensure things work EFFICIENTLY. I know a lot of growth came fast, but I worry the company won't survive (or at least thrive) without significant revamping

Mathematica2017-11-28

"Program Associate"

Former Employee - Program Associate

I worked at Mathematica full-time

Pros

Great company culture, great introduction to a range of policy issues and programs

Cons

Slightly bureaucratic with career advancement

Mathematica2017-04-27

"Mathematica's outward growth has come at the expense of internal development"

Former Employee - Program Associate

I worked at Mathematica full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Colleagues (at your level) are friendly and welcoming - Ability to work remotely - Good resume builder for recent college grads

Cons

I continue to be disappointed by Mathematica's unrealized potential. As a junior -level employee, I was given an outsized amount of responsibility that was completely out-of-sync with my compensation. My workload was overwhelming (at times reaching 175% staffed) while the work itself was boring and repetitive. We were constantly told that Mathematica was an employee -run company with a dedication to collegiality, but myself and my colleagues were constantly put down and dismissed whenever we tried to contribute something outside of our immediate task list. Direct managers are unable to help with most issues and challenges since their primary role is to organize staffing. Also, Mathematica is chronically understaffed, to the extent that people very rarely have a say in the types of projects and roles they are assigned to. When I was hired, I accepted the offer (and low salary) for the opportunity to pursue several clear interests that were made known to my manager at the start. I never once got to engage on any of these projects, and was consistently pigeonholed in a role that had nothing to do with my own interests or goals. Last, opportunities for advancement, raises, professional development, or trainings were constantly presented and then taken away, or they simply failed to materialize. There was zero transparency around raises or employee reviews, and junior level staff were often gaslit into thinking they were solely responsible for their own raises and development when it was actually project directors who submit all feedback (in a closed-door process), make recommendations, and oftentimes believe that their project should be everyone's #1 priority. TL:DR - Mathematica has been growing quickly, but is doing very little to improve internally. Although junior level positions are occasionally good resume-builders, poor management and low salaries make this a role that one cannot stay in long-term.

Advice to Management

I would suggest management really consider B- and C-level positions, but I told them as much in person and was repeatedly told "that's not our job or priority."

Mathematica2019-11-30