Mathematica "interesting work" Reviews | Glassdoor

Mathematica Employee Reviews about "interesting work"

Updated Mar 20, 2019

3.5
Mathematica CEO Paul Decker
Paul Decker
Pros
  • "Decent work/life balance (I work between 40 and 45 hours a week, generally and have work from home twice a week to accommodate family needs)(in 26 reviews)

• "flexible on work-life balance, brilliant colleagues, ever-changing and interesting work(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "Junior staff members are at the mercy of their task leads or project leaders when it comes to performance reviews(in 11 reviews)

• "There is no mentoring of Project Directors(in 11 reviews)

Reviews about "interesting work"

Return to all Reviews

"Lots of (exciting) change"

I have been working at Mathematica full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Incredibly talented and committed colleagues, flexible work environment, strong benefits including lots of PTO, lots of access to senior management including lots of town halls with the CEO, and interesting work. Employee owned, so when the company does well I do too, and the company has done well consistently. Also like the very visible committment to diversity and inclusion.

Cons

Uncertainty as the research field changes. Hard to know how much your job will change and when, but it's also an interesting opportunity.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating openly and honestly. Don't worry about how staff will respond, we're adults -- tell it to us like it is.

Mathematica2018-09-30

"Good pay but soul-sucking culture"

Former Employee - Survey Researcher in Washington, DC

I worked at Mathematica full-time

Pros

Good quality research going on, great colleagues, interesting work, variety of projects, excellent pay and benefits.

Cons

The culture is very competitive, with people anxiously trying to get on projects they are interested in. Seems like you have to be someone's favorite to get the best assignments. If you are one of the favorites your future is assured. If not, but your performance is otherwise impeccable, you could be stuck in the same role for a while. No interest in mentoring or building skill sets to move people ahead. Seemed... rather a snobby environment to me. If you're an economist with a phd, great. If not, it doesn't really matter how many years of practical experience you have, you will not be getting leadership roles on projects of interest to you. It drains your self-esteem, makes you bitter, and gives you PTSD. Unless you are at the top of your career already, don't come here.

Advice to Management

Note: I left the company five years ago. I'm told there has been a lot of restructuring but from the reviews here, it has only made things worse.

Mathematica2019-03-20
  3. "Research Analyst"

I have been working at Mathematica full-time

Pros

Cons

can be slow to advance

Mathematica2018-05-07

"High ideals with poor execution"

I worked at Mathematica full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Intelligent people; important and interesting work; articulation of company mission and values. A fantastic learning experience, albeit sometimes as trial by fire.

Cons

Company values never seemed to materialize in day to day activities. MPR believes they are an employee driven company, that the work they bid on is work that employees want to be involved in. This seemed true if you had an established niche or network of coworkers with whom you have rapport with. The hierarchical structure of the organization, and the way it was daily palpable, ensured a sense of some being "more... equal then others." As the company grew, it felt more isolated, alienating, and competitive rather than warm, familiar and collegial.

Advice to Management

The values espoused by the company are to be lauded, but they seem to be manifest in cliques rather than evenly.

Mathematica2017-12-15
  5. "Good place to work"

I have been working at Mathematica part-time for more than a year

Pros

Smart colleagues and interesting work

Cons

Tight deadlines and billable hours

Mathematica2017-01-27

"Felt like a cog in the wheel"

I worked at Mathematica full-time

Pros

Important work to be doing. Mathematica is so big that it can take on really complex and interesting work. It is very competitive on bids. Good benefits (other than pay). True 9-5 job with no expectation of work after hours. Very defined ladder for advancement.

Cons

As someone with substantial work experience and a Master's degree, a large proportion of my work was administrative work like formatting documents. I did not have an opportunity to use the skills I have, and my past experience was not taken into account in terms of what I might be able to handle on projects. I was hired at a certain pay-grade because that's where people who have a Master's degrees always start. I... truly felt like a cog in the wheel. Pay was not at all competitive. I was not inspired to do my best work here.

Advice to Management

There is no need for the degree of bureaucracy that's in place in this organization. Value creativity and innovation. Empower employees. Reward good work. Promote staff when people are ready rather than only at the pre-determined review time.

Mathematica2016-04-15

"-"

I have been working at Mathematica

Pros

Friendly people. relaxed culture. interesting work and projects

Cons

Need Starbucks Machines on every floor

Mathematica2015-08-18

"Great company - a bit poorly organized"

Current Employee - Statistical Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Mathematica full-time

Pros

Work Life balance, good benefits, interesting work, you get to choose your own projects, great corporate culture, telecommuting and working from other offices flexible, opportunities to move up

Cons

Sometimes there is not enough work to go around and I sit around bored... It's not the worst problem to have I guess

Advice to Management

Too much overhead time is demoralizing.

Mathematica2015-06-10

"Nice work environment."

Senior Programmer Analyst in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Mathematica

Pros

Positive work environment, healthy work/life balance, interesting work

Cons

No bonuses, expected to work from home when sick versus take a sick day, deadlines often seem to fall at the same time

Advice to Management

Management is generally great. More transparency would be nice.

Mathematica2015-06-01

"A good place for part-time work"

Former Employee - Telephone Interviewer and Locator in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Mathematica part-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked on and off part-time at the Survey Operations Center for about two years while I looked for full time work in my field. I worked as a telephone survey interviewer, locator and did some clerical work. The surveys topics that I was involved in included health care, food stamps and nutrtion. Pretty interesting work. No selling and no election polling stuff. You also have the flexibility to make your own... schedule and the supervisors and managers are willing to work with you if you need to make changes to it. People are friendly. They have monthly birthday parties for staff and a nice holiday party each December.

Cons

Sometimes the people you call are jerks and nasty to you on the phone. But the supervisors train you on how to deal with people like this, and it can be a fun challenge trying to convince them to do the survey. The work is on-call, so if they don't have enough survey projects for you to work on you might get laid off. I was laid off a few times. But if your work is good they will bring you back.

Mathematica2015-05-21