Mather Lifeways Reviews in Evanston, IL | Glassdoor

Mary Leary

1. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Manager in Evanston, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Evanston, IL

I worked at Mather Lifeways (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good work culture with good benefits. Strong focus on customer service as well as employee appreciation and fun.

Cons

Risk taking is limited - this is both a con and a pro - depending.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on residents and staff.

"Former full-time Mather LifeWays employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL

I worked at Mather Lifeways full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work culture is what drew me in during my interview and kept me happy for the years I worked there. The people are friendly and generally treat their coworkers respectfully. It is an upbeat atmosphere and this really affects your day to day happiness as an employee. They offer good benefits and are flexible with time off. There is also room for advancement. I saw many colleagues be promoted multiple times and end up in entirely different areas from where they had started.

Cons

High staff turnover, which undermines stability and confidence in management. There were occasional rumors about the behind-the-scenes politics, but as a regular staff member it is hard to say how much truth there was to these rumors.

Advice to Management

Investing more time on the front end during hiring could help prevent such high turnover, which is especially damaging when it is managers who are coming and going, leaving lower level staff responsible for managing things in the interim and often helping to train new managers. Also making sure that long term employees feel valued, whether this comes in the form of annual raises or granting vacation requests.

"Poor Management"

I worked at Mather Lifeways part-time

Pros

Great location. Office promotes healthier office working with no sodas, hula hoops and the appearance of a collaborative work style.

Cons

Upper Management just wants doers. As in another review, they severely stifle any creativity and just want you to do the job you're told to do. Having this type of tunnel vision will only limit any progress or growth and will result in higher turnover rates. Incredibly poor management.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid of an idea or question. You may discover so much more if you allow for an open dialogue and retain your employees. Your employees shouldn't be afraid of losing their job because they asked a question.

5. "middle management"

Current Employee - Middle Management in Evanston, IL
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Evanston, IL

I have been working at Mather Lifeways full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I'm proud that I work for Mather LifeWays. We serve older adults and the tone is set at the top by the CEO and top management to strive for excellence and engage older adults in ways that help them achieve what's possible for them. It's a great place to work with nice people, very good benefits and wellness programs, and beautiful workplaces.

Cons

I would like more communication about what is going on at times.

"NPO"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL

Pros

coworkers keep the company fun and their dedication keep company on top tier.
    benefits

Cons

President has no human qualities. She should no longer hold meetings because she says one thing and does another.

Advice to Management

Remove Mary Leary as the President.

"Top-level executives are very arrogant people - especially the CEO!"

Former Employee - Middle Management in Evanston, IL

I worked at Mather Lifeways full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company offers a very nice benefits package. Also, the residents in the facility I worked in were very nice people.

Cons

The on-site employees get along very well. But the senior executives are very demanding, very rude, and very disrespectful. Initially I thought it was a great place to work. But as time went on, the heavy-handed management style became too much to deal with.

Advice to Management

Many of the people working for you are constantly in fear of losing their jobs, and the high turnover rate has a lot to do with that. But you also need to learn how to listen, and consider that your employees may have some good ideas. Despite your arrogance, you really don;t know everything!

8. "Good environment and conditions (Mather Pavilion)"

Current Employee - Volunteer in Evanston, IL
    Current Employee - Volunteer in Evanston, IL

I have been working at Mather Lifeways part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Environment is friendly, not stressful. You feel like you are not pressured to anything, but you still maintain overall productivity.

Cons

I cannot think of any outstanding cons to working here. Perhaps some people would think that a slow paced environment would slow productivity, however such was not the case, I found.

"Everyone seemed so nice at first . . . but oh my gosh - how things changed!!!"

Former Employee - Middle Management in Evanston, IL

I worked at Mather Lifeways full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, and in general a focus on taking good care of their residents.

Cons

Behind the scenes, this is not a very good place to work. Senior management is primarily made up of arrogant workaholics with no family life who micro-manage every aspect of the organization. HIgh turnover rate.

Advice to Management

Stop micro-managing everyone. You are stifling all of the creativity in your employees. Your high rate of employee turnover will decrease dramatically if you'll give up your fear-based, autocratic management style.

10. "Good experience, nice people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL

Pros

It was a good place to work at on a temporary basis. Very nice people and good opportunity to gain valuable experience.

Cons

Communication was poor. My supervisor often forgot direction or decisions that were given or made.

Advice to Management

Provide a mini orientation to your contract employees who are there more than a month. A semi regular review or "hey you are doing a great job" would be nice as well.