Mather Memorial Hospital Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Reviewer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Port Jefferson, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Port Jefferson, NY

I worked at Mather Memorial Hospital part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked here for 17 years. The patients and staff that have long since retired were what made my day brighter. I left miserable, but with a small pension and 403 B that was a plus.

Cons

Not enough cultural diversity. Although while I worked there, I obtained a degree, there was no room for growth. Any position I tried to apply for was conveniently not available, however the person that would eventually get hired was not fit, nor did they last in the position(S). The Nursing staff in my dept wanted to treat me like I was beneath them, then complain because I demanded to be treated as a peer.

Advice to Management

I'm sure the new owners (Northwell) will take notice that most staff of color are on the night shift and hopefully change that. Also, I'm hoping that they will put a cap on the amount of nepotism that is allowed in the hiring process.

2. "Nice place to work"

Pros

Managers support their staff. Decent pay for the area. Better nurse to patient ratios than other nearby hospitals.

Cons

A lot of new graduate nurses

3. "Systems Analyst"

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Port Jefferson, NY
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Port Jefferson, NY

I worked at Mather Memorial Hospital (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits (if you see a Mather physician)

Cons

Upper management / Executive team is clueless. Clinical staff is rude to non-clinical staff. Written up for taking allotted sick time (even with a doctors note). People are written up for being two minutes late. Not flexible whatsoever with schedule. Only promoted via nepotism or if you're friends with upper management.

Advice to Management

Take a look into your non-clinical resources and the turn-around. Your employee's dread coming to work (not just because of the measly pay but also because of the treatment they get from management). You'll get much more productivity if your employee's are happy. Seem's obvious but clearly you need to be advised of such.

4. "Medical assistant"

Current Employee - Medical Assistant in Port Jefferson, NY
    Current Employee - Medical Assistant in Port Jefferson, NY

I have been working at Mather Memorial Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment to work amd friendly co workers

Cons

Need more staff, work long hours

5. "Employer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Port Jefferson, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Port Jefferson, NY

I have been working at Mather Memorial Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Small, high standard comunity hospital.

Cons

Overall a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Salary evaluation and bonus considerations for individual department 's contribution.

6. "CNA"

Former Employee - CNA
    Former Employee - CNA

I worked at Mather Memorial Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work, staff is very helpful

Cons

Not a teaching hospital but will still learn a lot

7. "Medical Biller"

I have been working at Mather Memorial Hospital full-time

Pros

Great family environment. Amazing supervisors and friendly staff.

Cons

Can be cliquey. Pay isn't the best.

8. "POOR employee morale"

Current Employee - Nutritional Services Aide in Brookhaven, NY
    Current Employee - Nutritional Services Aide in Brookhaven, NY

I have been working at Mather Memorial Hospital part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very understanding of your personal family medical issues when you need to take off! Decent pay. Many different departments with varying positions & schedules to choose from..

Cons

NOT a good place for advancement unless you personally know someone or are related to someone in management. NO medical to retire with only the pension YOU save OR if you can hang in long enough to attain what mather matches, if you can make it to the age they require. This place tends to treat you according to your "position" which is a terrible thing to do to any human being. Management will listen to you with your concerns, advice for improving patient care, or your own gripes, and very rarely will they do anything about it. This is very discouraging and leaves you NO LONGER CARING .

Advice to Management

Stop listening to employees complain about other employees, get out of your chair and go do some investigating yourself! use your own judgment and do not listen to "hearsay". Reward the diligent workers for their very hard work,and stop rewarding the ones that are JUST KISSING YOUR Rear end, Are lazy dead weights as they are are KILLING those of us who do care and work very hard!! These employees are draining us and then you give us their work they cannot handle and making our already busy job even MORE DIFFICULT! These employees are just there to get a paycheck & need THEIR hours cut & given to someone that DESERVES them OR to be let go..it's time to clean 🏡 house!!!! Stop looking to your employees for how to improve press Gainey scores you need to look at how you are treating us and put yourself in everyone of our places and be HONEST with yourself...PLEASE get up to those units and start randomly walking around and open your ears and OBSERVE from a distance and I promise you will get your answers that you are looking for...

9. "Mather"

Current Employee - Medical Executive Director Social Worker in Selden, NY
    Current Employee - Medical Executive Director Social Worker in Selden, NY

I have been working at Mather Memorial Hospital part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Health Insurance is good, Coworkers are friendly, good atmosphere to work in, pay is on the better end for Social Work

Cons

The actual cost of the insurance for part time workers is fairly expensive per pay check, not much room for growth

10. "Registered Nurse"

Pros

Small hospital trying to make positive changes. Increasing BSN prepared nurse.

Cons

Lacking diversity. Needs younger staff.

Advice to Management

Hire more people for the night shift.