Matisia Consultants Reviews | Glassdoor

Darren Alger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Sr. Consultant"

I have been working at Matisia Consultants full-time

Pros

No heirarchy or unnecessary policies

Cons

Leadership is not the best

2. "Amazing Company + People"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Matisia Consultants full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing company that goes above and beyond for their employees.

Management is very understanding and goes out of their way to help.

Salary and benefits are great.

Rolling onto new projects is a pretty smooth transition.

Cons

Haven't found and cons

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work - you are fantastic

3. "The goldilocks zone"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Matisia Consultants full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Perfect size and structure. Low overhead, drives great compensation. Very clever additional bonus options.They measure and reward based on what they value. Very flat organization, everyone has an opportunity to do what they want. I feel I have control of my career. They respond to open and honest feedback.

Cons

Not any cons that I can think of at the time. I may review again in a while.

Advice to Management

There has been some mention of a longterm vision for what is next. It would be great to understand what the next 3 years could/might look like.

Other than that, keep doing what you are doing!

"Salary competitive"

Former Employee - Director Technology in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Director Technology in Seattle, WA

I worked at Matisia Consultants (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive salary and you can work on exciting projects with no micro management from account managers. You have potential to grow business.

Cons

Competitive salary and you can work on exciting projects with no micro management from account managers. There was no plan for steady growth.

Advice to Management

Slow & steady

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Matisia Consultants full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've loved my time at Matisia! I've been here almost three years and believe it's a perfect fit for me. I feel like my opinions matter, I'm able to contribute to project assignment decisions, and that I can play as big or as small a role in the company without judgment (e.g., I can go above and beyond and contribute to the company, or I can lay low and focus only on my client work).

I agree with other posters when they say that Matisia is a social company. They seem to try hard to sponsor events where consultants can hang with each other. I think they want to make sure nobody feels like they're out there, consulting, on their own. I don't feel pressured to attend the events, and don't usually attend - I've never gotten any raised eyebrows.

Cons

I've seen people not make it at Matisia, and I think it's because they expected a lot of stuff to just "be there" for them - like a career development program or the ideal assignment to just land in their lap (without having to work with Sales to make it happen). I was told when I joined how the business model worked, so didn't expect a lot of structural stuff I've had at other firms. It works for me. In fact, I really like it.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent - tell us what you're thinking, where we're going, etc. When I joined, you said there was a cap at 150 consultants. It doesn't seem to be that way now. What changed?

Mar 15, 2017 – Matisia Consultants

Thanks for taking time to respond! Based on your insight about our culture and your individual contribution, it was really great to hear about your positive experience with Matisia.

Our... More

6. "Great Firm"

Pros

Great company. Family atmosphere, fast moving and provides many growth opportunities.

Cons

You should like team building and afterwork social activities to really do well here.

Dec 13, 2016 – Matisia Consultants

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with Matisia. It’s encouraging to hear you talk about a “family atmosphere” because we strive to create a workplace that reflects the best aspects... More

"Sweet spot was 2-3 years ago"

Pros

Good pay. Kept busy if willing to take anything.

Cons

Staff aug now rampant. Bench time will spell doom. Culture has changed from effectively caring to self promoting endeavors. Original CEO who set up Matisia's outstanding culture is now gone.

Advice to Management

Grow as needed, not to look good.

"Good place to work, but needs to address some issues"

Pros

Above average pay. Faster interview process. Good people to work with.

Cons

They suffer from same problems most consulting firms in Seattle area face - lack of account diversification (2 main accounts) and account growth. Plus they grew too fast without a long-term strategy, so when projects slowed down in key accounts they had too many people on the bench. Due to their size/scale, they cannot retain people on the bench and have to let them go. Eventhough you are hired, you are not paid salary until you get on the first project. Projects can be hit or miss...you can be stuck in a crappy project. Health insurance is marginal and there is no 401K matching.

Advice to Management

Put emphasis on sustainable growth and have a strategy to retain and develop consultants. Instead of spending on lot of expensive events (in the name of building culture), the money can be better utilized to on benefits for employees.

Oct 26, 2016 – Matisia Consultants

Thank you for all the feedback. We try very hard to keep an inclusive culture that allows all of our consultants the chance to build relationships and stay connected to colleagues, so it’s nice to... More

"Don't be fooled by their sales pitch. Do your research!"

Former Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA

Pros

They are able to offer high salaries because they have a little overhead costs hiring young and cheap for their internal team.

Cons

Everything but the pro mentioned above. I'd rather have a lower salary and work for any other firm in Seattle.

- Lack of professionalism
    - Lack of diversity in projects and clients
    - Lack of transparency and honesty between management, staff, and consultants
    - At times can feel like a co-ed fraternity versus a professional consulting firm

Advice to Management

Clean up your style of running a company and stop trying to sell as a "free-form" approach to business. It's failing miserably.

Dec 13, 2016 – Matisia Consultants

Thanks for responding, it’s always valuable to hear an employee’s perspective.

It’s concerning to hear that you were unsatisfied with your experience at Matisia. It’s true we run lean internally... More

"Good Company with Opportunity to Improve"

I have been working at Matisia Consultants full-time

Pros

Overall summary: I’ve had a positive experience with Matisia so far. Like a lot of other professional services firms, particularly non-enterprise-sized, the experience is what you make of it. For some it can be truly great, but for others it may be less than desirable. For those that want to contribute to the success of the firm, above and beyond just doing good project work, there are ample opportunities to get involved, take ownership and test new ideas. For those that choose to focus on project work only, that’s okay too. However, employees who have this approach seem to be less invested in the long-term success of the firm.
    List of pros:
    - Generous compensation
    - Minimal organizational hierarchy and bureaucracy
    - Encouragement to take ownership and ability to be entrepreneurial
    - Talented people you want to both work with and hang out with outside of work
    - As a consulting company with a distributed workforce, Matisia does exceptionally well being intentional about organizing events to keep everyone connected

Cons

- Professional development is non-existent
    - Lack of diversity in projects; too much staff augmentation and IT PM work
    - There is a bit of a bro/frat culture
    - For a professional services firm, the benefits are not competitive with market - insurance costs, retirement investment options, PTO policy
    - Questionable employer loyalty; the lean business model makes it very easy to let employees go

Advice to Management

- Many of the pros & cons listed above can be attributed to Matisia’s model of running lean. As the company continues to grow, you need to reassess how lean the company can run without negatively impacting consultant satisfaction and constraining operational improvements.
    - Focus on pursuing more strategic, team-based and solution-based work.
    - Make the goals of the company more transparent (what do we want to be?)

Sep 21, 2016 – Matisia Consultants

Thanks for responding, we really appreciate all the feedback you provided! It’s good to hear that your overall experience has been positive. It’s true, we’re a bit different from other consulting... More