Matisia Consultants Reviews | Glassdoor

Matisia Consultants CEO Darren Alger
Darren Alger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Amazing Company + People"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Matisia Consultants full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing company that goes above and beyond for their employees.

Management is very understanding and goes out of their way to help.

Salary and benefits are great.

Rolling onto new projects is a pretty smooth transition.

Cons

Haven't found and cons

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work - you are fantastic

2. "Happiest I've ever been"

Current Employee - Business Development in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Business Development in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Matisia Consultants full-time (More than a year)

Pros

100% going the right direction. The firm has dialed in what they're great at; added a lot of former Big 4 experienced capability leaders who are adding depth to the offerings, has Account Management alignment and a Leadership team who total has empathy for the consultants in at the client sites. Very collaborative open environment. Diverse client list is second to none in Seattle market.

Cons

none to speak of; I've been here several years and love it.

Advice to Management

Continue to promote in field consultants to lean in and participate more. They're the lifeblood of the company and very skilled!

"Great Co-Workers but Question Leadership and Future"

Former Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Matisia Consultants full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people that you work with on project are very knowledgeable and great to work with. The projects you work on typically lean toward true consultant projects though staffing rolls are starting to show up.

If you enjoy consulting and selling then the company offers additional compensation for what you sell as well as additional career opportunities internally.

Good monetary compensation but other benefits are lacking when compared to other offerings from similar companies.

Cons

Company has slid in terms of consultant engagements since I started. When I came on board it was a very consultant focused organization. With the promotion of several senior leaders over the past few months that changed to a sales first company. If you are looking to just be a consultant then they just don't know what to do with you. Their expectation is that you are selling as well as consulting. This is also the only avenue to have any sort of career path inside the organization.

The company has a typical bench policy with a bit of a twist. Like other organizations they pay for your bench time but if you are on it for longer than 2 weeks it's not unusual to see someone be shown the door. For any time on the bench it is mainly left up to you to work with the sales team to find you a new contract or going out on your own and selling something yourself. The company does not care about churning through consultants.

Leadership has seen a big shift in the past year. There used to be a majority that worked with consultants but they are no longer there. It has since become a bro club of senior leaders that share the same college or are friends of the CEO, and have started to increase the importance of "consultants that sell". Annual reviews used to be discussions with senior leaders about how you and the company can improve but now they have become conversations about how you can convert your contacts into business opportunities.

Advice to Management

I've already talked to management and they have made it very clear they only listen to their inner circle of influencers.

"Bad Reputation"

I worked at Matisia Consultants full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employs some quality consultants who are very bright and work with integrity

Cons

CEO is a used car salesmen. Most of the leadership team plays follow the leader and lacks any real integrity. Burning bridges with so many people in a small city doesn't seem smart.

Advice to Management

Replace the CEO

"Promise you anything to keep you around for a few more months"

Former Employee - Director in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Director in Seattle, WA

I worked at Matisia Consultants full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent salary
    Some talented people
    A variety of areas to focus in and clients.

Cons

CEO is a used car salesman
    No career growth
    Staffing firm disguised as a consulting firm
    First chance they get you will be used and out

Advice to Management

Get a new CEO.

"Don't be sold into this dishonest and toxic work culture"

I worked at Matisia Consultants full-time

Pros

A few strong consultants and decent human beings mixed in with a lot of dishonest leadership and communication

Cons

No career and growth opportunities, despite leadership claiming it's a "choose your own adventure" company - the opportunities don't exist!

If you are on the bench, it won't be long until you don't have a job. However, this will come as a complete surprise as you've been sold as a strong consultant in the past. Leadership will blame you and your performance/skills when ultimately it's a reflection of their declining reputation as a company and clients no longer wanting to work with them.

They've hired strong performers only to let them go a few months later when they couldn't find them a project. You'll hear the phrase "we really care about our consultants" and "the happiness of our consultants comes before our clients" but don't be fooled. Even though you've just quit your stable, secure, well paying job or turned down an offer from another reliable organization, you will be thrown into the trash as they realize they can't make money off you - with little regard to you as a human being or human decency.

For a company that claims to be transparent and authentic, the secrecy and dishonesty of the internal team and long time consultants is disgusting. It feels as though you're sold into a frat that's being led by unprofessional, uneducated middle aged "professionals" who have no idea how to run a business.

The seem to think a good roadmap and growth strategy is to rely on their college buddies from the Seattle area to hook them up with projects. This usually doesn't transpire, which is why they can't grow in markets outside of the Seattle area (they don't have their college pals in Minneapolis, Southern California, and San Fran to help them start a business, and no one takes them seriously)

The people who say there are no cons have only been on one project and haven't yet experienced time on the bench

Matisia Consultants Response

Oct 23, 2017 – Matisia Consultants

Thanks for taking the time to share your point of view. It sounds like your short experience with Matisia was not a positive one. We wish you best as you look to secure a position that better meets... More

"Not great"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Matisia Consultants full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was fun in the beginning
    Most people have a good sense of humor

Cons

Turnover is high
    Leadership is lacking
    If you experience bench time, you’ll be on the chopping block
    If you have a high salary + bench time, you will be first on the chopping block
    If you’re on the bench, you won’t get a bonus
    Leadership gives empty promises (a lot of “just trust me”) with no accountability
    Be very concerned that the offer letter says they can change your compensation at any time
    No transparency or authenticity
    The owner/CEO runs his company in a similar style to Donald Trump, and if you listen to the words the CEO uses (the best words!) he makes no logical sense
    There’s no professional or career growth opportunities
    So many internal politics
    The company feels siloed and disjointed with little to no collaboration
    They used to pay people more than market rate, but other companies pay more with better benefits
    For a company that claims to advise other businesses, they don’t even have their own strategy
    They have failed miserably in every attempt to open a new market... Southern California, Minnesota, and San Francisco...

Advice to Management

Teach your leaders how to actually be leaders. Treat people with respect, and follow through on what you say you’re going to do.

Matisia Consultants Response

Oct 23, 2017 – Matisia Consultants

8. "Sr. Consultant"

I have been working at Matisia Consultants full-time

Pros

No heirarchy or unnecessary policies

Cons

Leadership is not the best

9. "The goldilocks zone"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Matisia Consultants full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Perfect size and structure. Low overhead, drives great compensation. Very clever additional bonus options.They measure and reward based on what they value. Very flat organization, everyone has an opportunity to do what they want. I feel I have control of my career. They respond to open and honest feedback.

Cons

Not any cons that I can think of at the time. I may review again in a while.

Advice to Management

There has been some mention of a longterm vision for what is next. It would be great to understand what the next 3 years could/might look like.

Other than that, keep doing what you are doing!

"Salary competitive"

Former Employee - Director Technology in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Director Technology in Seattle, WA

I worked at Matisia Consultants (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive salary and you can work on exciting projects with no micro management from account managers. You have potential to grow business.

Cons

Competitive salary and you can work on exciting projects with no micro management from account managers. There was no plan for steady growth.

Advice to Management

Slow & steady