Matrix Group International Reviews | Glassdoor

Matrix Group International Reviews

Updated Dec 3, 2019

3.5
Matrix Group International CEO Joanna M. Pineda (no image)
Joanna M. Pineda
  1. "Awesome startup culture with a long time web design agency"

Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Crystal City, VA

I worked at Matrix Group International full-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly work environment, flexible work hours (ie can take an hour lunch to go to the gym or come in early to leave in an hour early), bosses are open to new ideas and constructive criticism

Cons

Hours can ramp up if a program is behind schedule

Matrix Group International2019-12-03
  2. "This company will push you to grow and gives you a say in how things get done"

Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Matrix Group International full-time for more than a year

Pros

From new video editing tricks to improving my content writing abilities, I was given ample leeway to invest my work time into developing new skills and advocating for projects based on my interests. I also had the ability to sit in on other departments' meetings and skill building exercises even if they weren't in my department. The company lets you take at least 1 focus day a week where you can work from home. It's also lenient if you're not feeling well but not too sick to work. The CEO is a huge a star wars geek, so all of the conference rooms are named after Star Wars planets and the anniversary parties of the past have involved renting out a movie theater to watch the latest movie.

Cons

My primary boss worked remotely, so sometimes there were situations where it would've been easier to work together in person. Slack and google hangouts solved most of our issues, but more in person assistance would've been helpful when starting out.

Matrix Group International2019-05-15

"Think carefully before applying here - positive reviews are most likely management ringers"

I worked at Matrix Group International full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you are new to the industry, just out of college or needed a resume-stuffer I think you might try here as I did. They like to hire cheap help.

Cons

Usual small time player woes. Not enough people that can take over a task in a pinch, focus on bilking clients at your expense while promising them everything they can't afford. A core of talent surrounded by a mass confusion of managers.

Matrix Group International2019-01-17

"Well meaning, low morale"

I have been working at Matrix Group International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Access to free online resources to learn how to do anything technical you want ( programming frameworks and languages, website design, social media). If you need to improve your presenting skills, opportunities to do lunch & learns for staff and webinars for clients, presenting deliverables and answering questions about them, doing trainings for clients in Wordpress, Google Analytics etc. Some hands on training from senior staff while you work on projects .

Cons

You *might* get basic training but you will spend more time teaching yourself. Almost no feedback from managers. Projects scoped, scheduled, and billed so haphazardly that staff get stressed out. Managers don’t know how to say no to clients. Much of the way things run, is reactive panic at the last minute. Predominately 2 kinds of bad management: micromanagers that dont’ let you do your work or that don’t do any actual managing of people to make sure things don’t slip thru the cracks. Management out of touch on what staff thinks fo them . Paid vacation, sick leave, salaries, and the telecommuting policy leave a lot to be desired. Lack of focus about the company's mission and how to build the business for the future.

Matrix Group International2018-10-16
  5. "Great place to work - small enough where employees know when they are making a difference, and not just a number"

I have been working at Matrix Group International full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I've been working at Matrix Group for over a decade and have been through the best and worst of times with the company. After all of these years, I can say that the company continues to evolve, grow and offer new services. The CEO is very engaged in the culture of the company and cares about the employees on a personal level; and makes a lot of effort to involve the entire company in major decisions. Matrix often promotes from within, and invests in training and mentoring so that employees can thrive in their positions. For the most part, I would say people here have each others' backs... on a company, team and individual basis.

Cons

It's a fast paced environment, and you have to be self disciplined to work here. You have to be willing to talk to clients when they call with an urgent issue and their Project Manager isn't available. Sometimes, you may be asked to work on a weekend. On the flip side, there is a monthly birthday party, happy hours, and other get togethers and celebrations throughout the year.

Matrix Group International2018-05-23

"High potential, recurring mistakes,"

I have been working at Matrix Group International full-time

Pros

Not a place for the lazy or the laid-back, high paced, high spirited with good challenging projects, near cutting edge technology.

Cons

Usual agency world challenges, tough life work balance, big projects with short promised turnaround time, sometimes too close to cutting edge technology with negative impact on projects, not much focus on staff, flat organizational tree so there's not much room to advance vertically.

Matrix Group International2017-10-08

"Did not have a good experience"

in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Matrix Group International

Pros

The team is small and close knit, it's in a nice location. Team members are competent and smart.

Cons

I felt like I wasn't given enough time to get to know the system before having to do complex tasks with it. There are also many tasks that are solely done by 1-2 people and no one else knows them.

Matrix Group International2016-01-09

"Awesome Company Culture and Hard Working Employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Pros

The owner truly cares about both the clients and employees. She is open, honest and a great leader. The employees are smart, very good at what they do and everyone has each other's back. The company culture looks down upon finger pointing. It's more about fixing the problem ASAP and revisiting issues later in order to figure out what went wrong and then learning from mistakes so it doesn't happen again. The company is more then willing to help everyone learn and grow. Nice office space and office environment.

Cons

Currently upper management doesn't work well with people (employees and clients) and does not have the respect of the employees. It's a fast past environment which might be challenging for some people. However the Project Managers assist with prioritization.

Matrix Group International2014-08-24

"Worried"

I worked at Matrix Group International

Pros

Small company with its own Association Management Software product that has the potential to be successful. Concentrating on the Sitefinity CMS for Associations.

Cons

Leadership is a little too hands on and doesn't let the staff do the work they are capable of. There is not enough discipline within the compay.

Matrix Group International2014-07-29

"Stress ruins a normally enjoyable office"

I worked at Matrix Group International full-time

Pros

Super casual with a pretty nerdy atmosphere. Not a whole lot of rules and regulations to get you down. Nerf guns and toys abound. There are chances now and then for recognition. There are some staff who are wicked smart. Lots to learn. Be prepared to show leadership, teach as well as learn.

Cons

There is a near-constant revolving door of talent. This is a small shop, about 50 people, and there's one person resigning every month, usually for higher salary somewhere else. Every department is usually understaffed. It's very hard to maintain momentum with so much talent walking out. For a web development shop, there are very few actual web developers. ~~ The people in the two top positions are married. This makes for an odd conflict of interest. ~~ Overall high level of stress. Some staff are overworked due to skeleton crew. ~~ Blame and panic can sometimes crop up unnecessarily. There is regular bending-over for the sake of keeping a client from leaving, letting them walk all over the company. Much revenue is left on the table due to project mistakes and inconsistent billing.

Matrix Group International2014-07-25

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 10 reviews