Mattress Firm Reviews | Glassdoor

Mattress Firm President and Chief Executive Officer Ken Murphy
Ken Murphy

1,901 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Mattress Firm promotes a great culture amongst it's employees (in 91 reviews)

• The people are great, great training and support (in 90 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"You get out of this job what you put in it."

Current Employee - Sales in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Houston, TX

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great culture and Great coworkers. Advancement for those who are dedicated and want to work hard. Gives back to the communities that they serve.

Cons

Yes, the hours are long. It's retail, you know going into it. But I will say that the negative reviews I read are mostly related to the fact that some people come into the job looking for a get rich quick scheme. It's the easiest low paying job or the hardest high paying job. Look at our million dollar writers. They all bust their hump to go above and beyond for their guests. That includes cleaning bathrooms and dusting window ledges. If someone used to make $70k a year and now makes $37 then I would challenge them to look in the mirror. Ask yourself this question. What more could I be doing to turn things around for myself? The company is doing its best to provide the best mix of goods at a competitive price. No one said it would always be easy. Sometimes though we have to work harder and smarter and not blame corporate for every time business is slow and your check is small.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to keep doing what your doing. You have always stayed true to your guiding principle of what do we need to do to put ourselves out of business if we where the competition. Stay strong and remember, Haters are gonna hate that's what they do.

""for the rest of your life""

Current Employee - Mattress Professional in New Brunswick, NJ
    Current Employee - Mattress Professional in New Brunswick, NJ

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-Air Conditioning & Heat.
    -Electricity to charge cell phone for when I can afford minutes.
    -Good food pantry in shopping plaza to get lunch.
    -Never get/have to see my wife.
    -Getting to watch my daughter take her first steps, say her first words, and have her first haircut through the lens of my wife cell phone instead of in person. (Way less depressing that I had expected it to be.)
    -Learned some Spanish as it is the only way to communicate with delivery team.
    -Internet can access most websites.
    -As a staunch Republican Mattress Firm has made me a believer in the $15 an hour minimum wage and free universal healthcare.
    -I get to smell the inside of the welfare office again when I have to reapply for child care benefits.

Cons

None, I love being poor!

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to get Harry Acker on the phone and find out how he was able to pay MP's 80, 90, and 100k per year. While you are on the phone with him ask about what made his success possible. He will probably tell you it was the salespeople at least thats what he always told us and unlike Mattress Firm and their empty talk Harry backed it up with $$$. His genius allowed him to structure a company that revolved around the sales team. He understood that they needed a strong support system (i.e. customer care, Showroom Support Line, advertising, easy delivery, functional computer system etc.), that they needed to get paid enough to live comfortably, and they needed to know they were valued by the company that kept them away from their families 12 hours per day.

Now, like a 14 year old teenager I am supposed to be motivated by an in house video series serving up cups of coffee that are as empty as the promise you made about buying Sleepy's. Now my $4500 paychecks have dwindled to $800 paychecks and so has my lifestyle. I guess we just aren't valued by Mattress Firm. We used to be valued by giving our families a decent life. Now my life has become calling Wells Fargo to work out payment arrangements on my mortgage.

So give up the nonsense videos, stop asking employees to give back to Mattress Firm the pittance they now earn for donations to charities so you get a big tax write off, make us real sales people again, and for the love of all that is mighty value the sales team with money, not empty rhetoric.

3. "Great Opportunity"

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Promotion from within
    Great Training
    Team Culture
    Competitive Compensation
    Little Micromanagement

Cons

Weekend/Holiday Hours
    Hours can be long

4. "Great Workplace"

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time

Pros

The culture is amazing! There is a huge family feel to this organization, which I love!

Cons

Work-life balance is not the best

Advice to Management

Not much of a work-life balance. Working in a store for 10.5 hours a day and also every weekend can be draining.

5. "Excellent company that offers Quality of life"

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time

Pros

Offers Quality of life. The recruiter and District Manager were right up front about what was expected. Great people.

Cons

Half of your compensation is commission.

Advice to Management

Dont Change

"Amazing company to be a part of!!"

Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Amazing team of people to work with.
    - Fantastic training and development.
    - Unbelievable support.
    - Terrific growth opportunities.

Mattress Firm is truly a company that cares, and listens to feedback from the field to make the company better. While Mattress Firm is the largest bedding retailer in the US, there is still the small family company feel through the level of support provided and the amazing company culture.

Mattress Firm also helps to supports Foster Kids through donation drives at the retail locations. In addition, people are encouraged to get involved in their local communities and charities to be able to live the Mattress Firm motto of "Improving lives one relationship at a time."

Cons

- The only con that I have encountered is that I didn't join the Mattress Firm family earlier in my career.

Advice to Management

Thank you for your efforts in making the company a great place to work. It is an honor and a privilege to be part of this amazing organization.

"Stay away!"

I worked at Mattress Firm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working there can be a way to get started in sales and store management for someone new to the profession

Cons

It is difficult to make bonus, which is what makes both sales and manager positions reasonably profitable. Since the company changed compensation plans, my own income was dramatically cut and that has been the experience of many others, leading to many top managers and salespeople leaving.

Advice to Management

Give managers more incentive and better compensation. It is wrong to pay managers the same rate as the people who report to them.

"Manager"

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time

Pros

Really good people with great theory of real world

Cons

Leadership used to b in field but far separated and seems to forget

9. "good opportunities, no social life"

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time

Pros

-pay can be decent
    -great culture

Cons

-long work days (10+ hrs)
    -travel involved

"Sales"

Current Employee - District Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - District Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company, incredible people, and a wonderful opportunity to improve the lives of it's guests, fellow employees, and the communities served. Excellent growth opportunity, world class training, and competitive pay. I have worked for this company for over three years and enjoyed this experience more than any other. Mattress Firm is highly field focused and cares about it's employees and their success. I would highly recommend Mattress Firm as a place to start a fulfilling career!

Cons

Work life balance in retail is always a challenge, with the hours at Mattress Firm compared to previous employment, its an improvement. In/out times are retail hours of course but still a chance to see the kids in the morning and home in time for bedtime stories. Extended hours on holiday weekends can be tough but those usually come with the opportunity to see more guests and make money!

Showing 1,901 of 1,918 reviews