Mattress Firm Reviews

3.3
Mattress Firm CEO John Eck
John Eck

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "They provide great training and all the tools you need to unlock unlimited earning potential.(in 245 reviews)
  • "The culture is great and it feels like more of a family then a group of co(in 231 reviews)
  • "You can make some good pay checks if you are fortunate enough to be at a good store(in 218 reviews)
  • "People that have lasted over a year mark are really great to reach out to and help you learn and close sales.(in 202 reviews)
  • "If you are good at sales then you have the potential to make some good money.(in 158 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Mattress Firm and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Not a bad place to work

May 16, 2022 - Sleep Expert
    Business Outlook

Pros

They let you discount to be able to close the sale or take the customer out of the market

Cons

They hire 3rd party mystery shoppers, that don't do a honest job and lie on their reports

2. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Please read!!!

May 16, 2022 - Senior Sleep Expert in Charlotte, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Alright so I’ve been with this company for 4 1/2 years. My first year I made 45k 2nd and 3rd year I finished at 92k finally last year I made 106k so money can be good if you are good. It also depends on the store as some are good and bad, I would ask what the store did the year before both mine did over 1.5 million each so they were decent. I sell a lot of clearance which makes you the most money.the pto starts at day one and you will get about 2 weeks a year, additional 88 hours for sick and incidental pay, I received $46 an hour for that due to me being a higher performer(based on yearly numbers) I work 35 hours aweek sometimes 40, co-workers are cool, benefits are good as well.laid back a lot of downtime.

Cons

No room to grow at least in my opinion, my DM hasn’t asked me once what my goals are and if I wanted to move up, the commission has changed 4 times in 4 years. They gave our CEO a 39 million dollar bonus but just cut managers pay in half! Not kidding it went from $800 every two weeks to $400. The system you use to make a sale is new and horrible!! Takes like 20 minutes to write up a basic sale. The process is trash it’s for people who go can’t sale so they need a tablet to baby them if you can’t sell then don’t do sales.hourly or commission not hourly and commission, future of the company doesn’t look bright in my opinion.

3. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

It was great.

May 9, 2022 - Store Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

It was fun learning and helping people with sleep needs. the money is fantastic if you know how to sell. Easiest store management job ive ever had. Easiest money as a store manager ive ever made. It was great, challenging, and fun. Honestly it was a lot of fun. If you can get yourself a great crew the job is like hanging out with your best friends all day. I have never worked at a company that since day one everyone was willing to help people. Truly great in that aspect.

Cons

Work life balance can be a little flunky. Some place are changing to 4 on 3 off, which makes sense at this job because it can be a lot of sitting around or super busy. It makes sense to fluctuate instead of making the store manager do forty plus for no reason. If you can train your team right you should be in good hands.

4. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Poor leadership, terrible work hours, no support from upper management

Apr 18, 2022 - Sleep Expert
    Business Outlook

Pros

Money used to be good and MFRM used to be all about their culture. But that has since changed. There aren’t many pros other than the people you work with, and the job doesn’t have many manual labor tasks.

Cons

48-50 hour work weeks. Extended holiday hours, poor training, lack of transparency. No care for the sales force. Company lacks understanding that people are different and work and learn differently. Company has transitioned to a “either get with the program or get out” mentality. Makes employees feels worthless and that they can be replaced in an a instant. Pathetic bonus structure and unrealistic sales goals. Also anti religion. Recently increased store hours on Sundays because they said “people don’t go to church anymore”. Promotion roadblock due to a poor promotion system that ends up being bottlenecked due to lack of positions. Store managers required to work days off, and extended hours with no compensation. Most employees are paid on commission, and since that’s the case, you are required to attend meetings that you are told you’re being paid for, but due to loopholes in the pay structure, you’ll never see that money.

7 people found this review helpful
  5. 2.0
    Current Employee

Progressive Discipline up to Termination

Apr 11, 2022 - Store Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Compensation/Commission - though it has changed drastically since the pandemic began with the restructuring of the entire company, it is still possible to make an above-average living in my area (if you can overcome the inventory and system issues and actually ship the product.

Cons

For a company that sells sleep, their employees are some of the most tired, overly stressed individuals you can find. From mystery shops to performance plans, Mattress Firm loves the words “progressive discipline up to termination.” Have a back up plan in place, I have experienced more turnover in the last few years than in the many I’ve been with the company. Work life balance has always been a sore subject, they’ll give a little, but more is usually piled on (like our new 9-9 extended hours). Leadership is out of touch issuing expensive initiative after initiative that must be executed 100%, yet there is no accountability for their blunders - like our disaster of a new computer system and consistently sending incorrect materials out to stores. Forcing experienced sales people to sit through cartoon-led “education” classes and endless rote drilling is frankly an insult. If you want to strive to be Best Buy, wait and see the work force you’re left with. We used to be a company comprised of motivated, polished professionals and we are now reduced to micromanaged polo-wearing, tablet-wielding bots.

6 people found this review helpful
  6. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

CEO salary is $41 million you are lucky to make $50k

Apr 20, 2022 - Sleep Expert in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

The sales floors are now flooded so you have an opportunity to make new friends.

Cons

Moving up with in the company to a District manager is no longer happening. Pay cuts each year. (Commission and/or bonus structure) They have hired more sales employees that were not needed and have over staffed each store. This then reduced each individuals commissions because it reduced the amount of customers each person sees. Overpriced insurance premiums.

1 person found this review helpful
  7. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great money, horrible corporate leadership

May 17, 2022 - Store Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

You can make an amazing income if you’re great at sales and work into a good location.

Cons

Corporate Matt Firm over the last 2 years has become a true nightmare for salesman.

8. 2.0
    Former Employee

Great sales experience, poor management

May 16, 2022 - Sales Representative
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good sales experience to gain with diverse demographics and negotiating

Cons

hours are dreadful and extremely difficult to make sales when placed in stores with poor traffic. Management is more worried about following corporate policies rather than selling higher volume.

9. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good job, but constant flux

May 12, 2022 - Senior Store Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

401k match, relaxed environment, generally moral

Cons

Lots of change all the time with bad communication behind it

10. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Disappointing, stay away, look somewhere else.

Mar 1, 2022 - Store Manager in Brooklyn, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very nice sales people, very helpful and honest. I miss them, made good friends.

Cons

They spay on you, they send secret shoppers all the time, it is not a nice feeling knowing that the company you work for spend so much money on mistery shoppers and not on their employees and they don’t trust you. They fire you if you fail on the secret shopper report. Gotta work on eggshells. Commission sales people make money on commissions so stop spying on your sales associates, it’s not like they work at Walmart where they dont care and get paid by hour. The tablets don’t work, there’s not science on that mattress matchr thing, we can’t spend so much time on customers while all they want is to get out of the store for work or to go home, NYC is not Texas. We are always rushing. BUDGETS… that is another let down, if you want to be store manager I would think about it twice. They pay you only bonuses only if you reach unrealistic goals, fake numbers and ridiculously high. Basically You are doing so much for almost nothing or little money.

5 people found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 3,404 Reviews

Mattress Firm Reviews FAQs

Mattress Firm has an overall rating of 3.3 out of 5, based on over 3,462 reviews left anonymously by employees. 53% of employees would recommend working at Mattress Firm to a friend and 48% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Mattress Firm employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.4 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Mattress Firm. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

53% of Mattress Firm employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Mattress Firm 2.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.1 for culture and values and 3.1 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Mattress Firm to be culture, coworkers, career development and the cons to be management, benefits, work life balance.

Popular Careers with Mattress Firm Job Seekers