Mattress Firm Reviews | Glassdoor

Ken Murphy

2,027 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"You get out of this job what you put in it."

Current Employee - Sales in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Houston, TX

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great culture and Great coworkers. Advancement for those who are dedicated and want to work hard. Gives back to the communities that they serve.

Cons

Yes, the hours are long. It's retail, you know going into it. But I will say that the negative reviews I read are mostly related to the fact that some people come into the job looking for a get rich quick scheme. It's the easiest low paying job or the hardest high paying job. Look at our million dollar writers. They all bust their hump to go above and beyond for their guests. That includes cleaning bathrooms and dusting window ledges. If someone used to make $70k a year and now makes $37 then I would challenge them to look in the mirror. Ask yourself this question. What more could I be doing to turn things around for myself? The company is doing its best to provide the best mix of goods at a competitive price. No one said it would always be easy. Sometimes though we have to work harder and smarter and not blame corporate for every time business is slow and your check is small.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to keep doing what your doing. You have always stayed true to your guiding principle of what do we need to do to put ourselves out of business if we where the competition. Stay strong and remember, Haters are gonna hate that's what they do.

Dec 7, 2017 – SVP Human Capital

Hello Houston! Thanks so much for your feedback and keep up the good work!

2. "An amazing transition from hospitality into sales...without fear!"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mattress Firm has been a stepping stone for me to ease into a commission sales role from my salaried restaurant background. Hours are better than restaurants/hotel hours.

Cons

Be willing to learn new products and techniques constantly. You are also not able to feel established in a store too long before moves are made. There are too many stores to keep every sale professional satisfied...however, I'm hungrier than most.

Advice to Management

Allow the store managers to run their show a little more specific to the needs of the people you've placed under them. There's a lot of politics in the corporate structure but overall, most leadership are genuine and quality people. I've outgrown your skills and leadership inspiration and am seeking higher income in a different sales field. I truly appreciate all that you've provide me and my family.

"Good Place"

I worked at Mattress Firm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

All of my management was great, fellow employee got a long with each other, willing to help out if you need it.

Cons

Long hours, too high of sales goals especially if you don't see a guest for days at times, warehouse issues, letting good employees go because of low performance goal (sometime they have no control of it). Was base salary + commission with started with the company, but went to commission only pay.

Advice to Management

Be more willing to help out more employee who are struggling or offer them more training to help the employee who are struggling. See maybe they can be used somewhere else in the company like the warehouse.

4. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - District Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - District Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Wonderful place to grow and develop.
    Work atmosphere is great with people who have great values.
    Compensation is fantastic especially since the environment is like getting paid to go to school.
    Great leadership! My boss is awesome!
    I can see myself here 10 years from now and consistently make more every year.

Cons

If I didn't like it here, I would go work somewhere else. The sale weekends can be tiring but it's worth it in the end.

Advice to Management

Wifi!

"Assistant Store Manager"

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time

Pros

Great coworkers, decent base pay and benefits

Cons

Commission structure changes are making it more and more difficult to make good money. So much change within the company without listening to what is occurring on the front lines. Retail hours are sub par.

Advice to Management

If this year was supposed to be all about the front lines and supporting sales, your actions need to support this. The front lines do not feel supported right now.

Dec 7, 2017 – SVP Human Capital

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry you don't feel you're supported right now on the front lines-- we'd love to hear more if you have any additional feedback on how we can improve upon this. Feel... More

6. "Long days with good pay"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Salem, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Salem, OR

I worked at Mattress Firm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You can make good money if you fallow the sales system. They have an excellent sales training with ongoing refresher classes.

Cons

You will work every holiday and most weekends. The hours are in the middle of the day. If you have a family the schedule can be hard.

Dec 7, 2017 – SVP Human Capital

Thanks so much for your feedback regarding your experience in Oregon! Hope all is well with you!

"Good job if you have literally no other options."

Former Employee - Store Manager in Norcross, GA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Norcross, GA

I worked at Mattress Firm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of downtime to do whatever you want
    Great discounts on mattresses and accessories

Cons

You are a prisoner in the store most of the time. Most stores only have one person working in them, and you're not allowed to leave unless you're actually dying. Most days you'll be in the store for at least 10 hours. On Holidays, at least 12. I don't know how people with kids work for Mattress Firm.

Requesting off is almost impossible. They tell you when you start that you have to work some weekends, but in reality you have to work every single weekend. It is mandatory. You will never get a weekend off. You could request off a year in advance and still not get the days you asked for off sometimes.

Unless you're selling a lot in commission. The pay just isn't worth it. I had to move 300 lb mattresses by myself on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

Be transparent with your employees about what they're actually getting into.

"Overall a decent place to work for, if not a bit low paying."

Current Employee - Store Leader in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Store Leader in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Laid back, with about 90% of the day being downtime. I suppose this can be a con if you're not good at entertaining yourself. Company culture is overall pretty decent, which I'd attribute to the fact that most of not all of the leadership in the company started as a sales rep in the store. While the job is technically pure commission, they do at least have a floor pay (1.5x minimum wage), meaning you'll always at least get a small paycheck.

Cons

The commission structure isn't a very great one. Anyone not in a leadership position doesn't have much ability to make a bonus, as it's not based on their own performance, rather that of the district as a whole. If you're unlucky enough to be placed in a slow store, expect to only make hourly wage most of the time. It's retail so this next one should be obvious, but expect to work every weekend day and every holiday except for Christmas and Thanksgiving.

Advice to Management

Reconsider the pay structure. You're losing great people left and right due to the low pay. Give your sales reps more ability to make a good paycheck for good performance and I think everything as a whole would improve.

Dec 7, 2017 – SVP Human Capital

Thank you very much for providing feedback from your experience in Washington! We're always looking for ways in which we can improve-- if you have any specific ideas on the pay structure, we'd love... More

"Big company, local leadership matters"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR

I worked at Mattress Firm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They support personal development and encourage you to move up. Leadership roles are often available and the leadership team pushes its employees to strive for more. They primarily promote from within. Sometimes the job is a cakewalk, with easy going sales and pleasant people to work with. Sometimes there's lots of downtime in which you have full freedom to work on other personal projects, assuming all your other duties have been handled.

Cons

The flipside of the above positive angle is that sometimes companies need their worker bees, and not everyone wants to move up the ladder. Many people are satisfied where they're at, and leadership need to learn how best to support those who want to stay in their role. If staffing is low in any one area, often times the current sales staff is asked to unreasonably pick up the slack. Some folks would work 60 or 70 hours work weeks with little to no days off because management couldn't keep the company staffed.

Advice to Management

Work on culture. I worked for a company that was acquired by Mattress Firm, and some of the key components of the invaluable culture we had were stripped away. MFRM swears by their culture, but it isn't anything compared to the culture that existed before acquisition. A massive fallout from long term employees subsequently followed the acquisition. Keep up on culture, and your employees will be more glad to step up to the plate when you need their help. Don't forget that you need their help - they're on the ground holding up YOUR empire.

"Sales -Store Manager"

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good place to learn basic sales skills. Okay retail hours job for average compensation between $35K to $45K per year. Must be in a large volume store to make$60K +. Area Managers will get the larger stores.

Cons

Company has gone down hill since the acquisition by Stienhoff - South African Dutch company. Huge cost increases to Health Insurance and big reduction in compensation plan currently being rolled out are big negatives. Major push to attract millennials as they are viewed as willing to work for low wages.

Finally, online sellers including Sams club and Costco are price undercutting retailers. Mattresses are now a commodity with lower profit margins as consumers are less persuaded by "dazzling diamonds and baffling 'em with BS" stories. History of numerous failed initiatives as products are rolled out and then closed out.

Not the place for seasoned sales professionals.

Most of the true sales performers are looking for new employment as they are not willing to settle for reductions in compensation and less benefits that cost more.

Major changes in executive management - also exited the company.

Advice to Management

Need to figure out who you are, resolve corporate identity crises.

Good Luck hiring low wage workers to sell $5K mattresses.

BYE BYE!!