Mattress Firm Reviews

Updated May 22, 2020

3.1
Mattress Firm CEO John Eck
John Eck
Pros
  • "They have great training programs and will do everything they can to help you succeed(in 118 reviews)

• "Great culture and fun environment to work in(in 103 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours / away from the family every holiday except Easter and Christmas(in 564 reviews)

• "Terrible work life balance for employees(in 340 reviews)

1. "Great Opportunities in Michigan!"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Western Location, MI

I worked at Mattress Firm full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Learning & Development is ongoing. - Opportunities abound. - Expectations are clear. - Great opportunity for individuals to "own your business" without the financial risk of actual ownership

Cons

- retail hours are not for everyone. That said, show initiative and that you can sell - you can advance.

Mattress Firm2019-07-24

Mattress Firm Response

August 14, 2019People Experience team

Thank you for sharing your experience and for all of your hard work over the past 3-4 years with our Michigan Mattress Firm team! Your review made our day. Hope you are doing well!

2. "Great place to work if sales is for you"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Manager in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is a great place to work as long as a sales job is your thing. But sales is not for everybody. If you don't like sales, this is not for you. It can be GREAT money if you are good at sales. I have been here three years and my salary has increased 15-20% each year. I am making more money than I ever have. Leadership is very supportive. They will give you every opportunity and training to succeed. Company has been very good to us during the COVID crisis. Upper management really cares about the front line people.

Cons

Retail hours and structuring a work-life balance.

Mattress Firm2020-05-20
  3. "Good training program, nice people"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Mattress Firm part-time for less than a year

Pros

The people were very sweet. They also had a very thorough training process, "The University of Mattress Firm". I learned a lot about sales.

Cons

They had just introduced the part-time position, so not very flexible or understanding when it came to school for me. Did not understand that after the summer, once school started I could not make the job my priority.

Mattress Firm2020-05-19
  4. "Fine"

Former Employee - MOD in Seattle, WA

I worked at Mattress Firm full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good pay if you work for it

Cons

Long hours, poorly managed, bad benefits

Mattress Firm2020-05-23
  5. "Best place to start a career, learn skills"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Mattress Firm full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to learn how to sell and learn basic business processes/management You can get what you put in, success has a large upside through commissions Great training and team-building Great work hours for young people

Cons

Work hours are not great if you have children Tough job if no interpersonal skills (unless you're willing to learn) Upward movement fast at first but can be slow once you're store manager

Mattress Firm2020-05-04
  6. "What you make of it"

5.0

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time for more than a year

Pros

With such a big corporation, they truly understand the meaning of family first. What I give to the company they give back. Within my first year I became an area manager as a result of my hard work and willingness to learn.

Cons

There are none. They are upfront with everything.

Mattress Firm2020-05-03

"This company turning into a crap shoe"

2.0
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Mattress Firm full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are solid and you can make good money if district manager and area manager like you and you kiss their you know what .Bonus structure is only works if you are in good location then money can be decent.Usually single on double coverage with very little interference when you work you run like your business.You have control over discounts and promotions so you can be in charge.I worked here for 3 years and it was good while it lasted till company leadership and company itself started to change!

Cons

Expect to work long hours sometimes 10-13 hours straight especially when you busy with guests. Pays structure constantly changing when they are trying to pay you less in less commission and bonuses.They pay you either draw witch hourly minimum wage so if you don’t make enough commissions and bonus expect to make minimum wage but work long ,boring hours.Constant meetings and Saturdays training and conference calls are a mess and very unproductive and wasteful like beating a dead horse. If you start criticising management district or area manager they will find a way to get rid of you.Lot of politics ,gossiping and if you make good money coworkers will start hating on you and would want your spot. I was best selling manager and awarded manager they don’t give a crap and if they don’t like you and you are honest manager they will find a reason and any excuse to bring you down. district manager has all the power so good luck calling HR they are on their side not yours. Company is changing and after 4 years if hard service they found the way to manage me out and that is hurtful because I invested so much into customers and the company.They hire kids from the street to pay minimum and hire mediocre people now so it’s turning into bad company to work for.Stay away if you can people are ruthless here and only want that buck!

Mattress Firm2020-05-12
  8. "You get out of it what you put in."

Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Mattress Firm full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Success can really be what you make it. It's sales, but I was brand new to sales when I joined. They will train you, well, and if you use the tools they give you, you will succeed.

Cons

Depending on location and local management, sales expectations can be cut-throat.

Mattress Firm2020-04-28
  9. "Long hours but good money"

Current Employee - MOD

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefit package, independent work environment, good money

Cons

Long hours alone, high pressure sales, no work life balance

Mattress Firm2020-05-08
  10. "Mattress Firm"

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Fayetteville, AR

I have been working at Mattress Firm part-time

Pros

Good work environment. Great place to learn more skills.

Cons

Days can sometimes be slow

Mattress Firm2020-04-16