Mattress Firm Reviews | Glassdoor

Mattress Firm President and Chief Executive Officer Ken Murphy
Ken Murphy

1,828 Employee Reviews

Cons

""for the rest of your life""

Current Employee - Mattress Professional in New Brunswick, NJ
    Current Employee - Mattress Professional in New Brunswick, NJ

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-Air Conditioning & Heat.
    -Electricity to charge cell phone for when I can afford minutes.
    -Good food pantry in shopping plaza to get lunch.
    -Never get/have to see my wife.
    -Getting to watch my daughter take her first steps, say her first words, and have her first haircut through the lens of my wife cell phone instead of in person. (Way less depressing that I had expected it to be.)
    -Learned some Spanish as it is the only way to communicate with delivery team.
    -Internet can access most websites.
    -As a staunch Republican Mattress Firm has made me a believer in the $15 an hour minimum wage and free universal healthcare.
    -I get to smell the inside of the welfare office again when I have to reapply for child care benefits.

Cons

None, I love being poor!

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to get Harry Acker on the phone and find out how he was able to pay MP's 80, 90, and 100k per year. While you are on the phone with him ask about what made his success possible. He will probably tell you it was the salespeople at least thats what he always told us and unlike Mattress Firm and their empty talk Harry backed it up with $$$. His genius allowed him to structure a company that revolved around the sales team. He understood that they needed a strong support system (i.e. customer care, Showroom Support Line, advertising, easy delivery, functional computer system etc.), that they needed to get paid enough to live comfortably, and they needed to know they were valued by the company that kept them away from their families 12 hours per day.

Now, like a 14 year old teenager I am supposed to be motivated by an in house video series serving up cups of coffee that are as empty as the promise you made about buying Sleepy's. Now my $4500 paychecks have dwindled to $800 paychecks and so has my lifestyle. I guess we just aren't valued by Mattress Firm. We used to be valued by giving our families a decent life. Now my life has become calling Wells Fargo to work out payment arrangements on my mortgage.

So give up the nonsense videos, stop asking employees to give back to Mattress Firm the pittance they now earn for donations to charities so you get a big tax write off, make us real sales people again, and for the love of all that is mighty value the sales team with money, not empty rhetoric.

"Speaking about California's Monterey District"

Former Employee - Store Leader in Marina, CA
    Former Employee - Store Leader in Marina, CA

I worked at Mattress Firm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing people, honing sales skills, honing communication skills, support system, events, creative license, available management, in-depth training

Cons

Seemingly haphazard restructuring and product alterations.

Advice to Management

Get Tempur-Sealy back, even if it means swallowing your pride to do so and fix the system functioning so that the people can focus on improving lives, not fighting with the computer.

Jun 14, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Human Capital

I am so glad to hear that you were able to take so much away from your time with us! As an organization, we strive to not only improve the lives of our guests, but also the professional (and ... More

"Not what it once was...empty promises"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Air condition, co-workers. Needed a few more words for the pros, 20 word minimum. Your sales team / co-workers / district manager etc....are all very supportive and generally made up of good people...

Cons

Too many after locations. You are no longer competing with the competition, but instead with each other. Luck off the draw is they enter your door. As there are probably 2 other stores in your same shopping center...If not across the street. You used to be able to make a nice living on the sales floor.
    They've lowered or budgets we need to hit to make us all feel better about our percent to budget...but in actuality, the majority are seeking a fraction that they used to. Memorial day weekend results were one of the saddest things I've seen. The majority of folks sold a fraction oohs what we used to do for the entire 4 day weekend...........
    Long hours, yes its retail. But for the time you put in....with the literally diminishing returns..... The work life balance is hitting an all time low.
    Corporate is made up of family members (married couples) and friends and friends of friends....these are the support roles....but they have a nice facility to work in.
    It's been 5 years here for me...We'll see how the rest of the summer sales season goes...but I don't see much left for me at mfrm. Good luck to those looking for a job.

Advice to Management

Management has tried a number of changes to help with the lack of pay from sales...but the current structure just doesn't work with so many stores. Also don't treat us like we are teenagers....trying to force the koolaide

"Great culture and decent pay"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in West Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in West Melbourne, FL

I worked at Mattress Firm (More than a year)

Pros

Family like atmosphere, good pay/commission,

Cons

Long hours and working days without seeing a single person

Jun 27, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Human Capital

Thanks for taking a few minutes away from that sunny Florida weather to share your employment experience at Mattress Firm!

"Sales"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great team relationships. Ability to transfer to other markets.

Cons

Long hours, because of growth and acquisitions some locations are too close together(currently).

Advice to Management

Allow more remote work for non sales jobs rather than just clustering together the corporate job locations.

Jun 23, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Human Capital

Thank you for your 10+ years dedicated to the Mattress Firm team! I appreciate you taking a few minutes to leave your feedback, and I hope that you and the rest of the CO Springs team have a ... More

"Good coworkers...decent training...horrible pay"

Current Employee - Sales in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time

Pros

The best part about MFRM is how much fun we have when we all get together. Great District Mgrs who have your back and do what they can to help.

Cons

It is extremely difficult to pay your bills with the way the compensation plan is constructed. Sometimes it feels like we are set up to fail because of the ridiculously high goals especially during slow months. If you are not in a high volume store, you are pretty much guaranteed to make the minimum.

Advice to Management

Please take a step back and look at the compensation structure that has been put in to place. Stop placing all of the blame for declining sales on the sales associates while absolving Corporate of any accountability. Find ways to increase pay for those who have to work in lower volume stores. Pay Area Mgrs more and maybe they'll actually stick around. If you keep acting like all of the problems that have occurred since the conversion are due to the lack of "performance" from sales associates, your retention will be in the dumps this time next year.

"Extensive Sales Experience"

Current Employee - Sales in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Sales in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They do an excellent job creating positive energy within the sales force which is needed to motivate us to succeed. The current selection of merchandise is definitely some of the best quality product on the market. Management is doing their best locally to manage the insane amount of change coming from corporate.

Cons

They spend way too much time and money on culture and hype. They need to invest more of that into the sales force earning a better living with lower cost health insurance. They also need to bring back the 401k match. The company said they were experts on logistics when they bought all these other companies including Sleepy's which was the 2nd largest mattress retailer. They are much worse than Sleepys at Logistics. They don't have a dedicated inventory staff like Sleepy's did. Inventory is always running out or it's dangerously low to being out causing customers to wait for their delivery. This allows too much time for buyer's remorse. They also won't tell you until late the night before the customers scheduled delivery that there is no inventory. One day I had 5, yes 5!!!, deliveries that had to be rescheduled at the last minute. I had to schedule out a whole extra week for these people! This unfortunately is all too common. They need to fill up their warehouses with enough inventory to prevent customers from getting upset and telling 20 other people to never go to Mattress Firm. You need to have extra trucks loaded with product beyond filling up your Warehouse when there is a holiday sale or special promotion.

Advice to Management

Stop the insane amount of changes. Fix your horrible communication from corporate to the field. Stop spending money on hype and fix your Logistics nightmare. Invest more in your advertising even in rural America. Invest more in your Store personnel. Eliminate or significantly reduce the amount of no inventory issues. Is this even tracked by corporate to hold people accountable and then improve the process?

8. "Assistant manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Hoboken, NJ
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Hoboken, NJ

Pros

great company to work for ,and you can make a fat Check if you are a closer

Cons

-Warehouse and delivery department will cost you a lot of money of your commission.
    -very long hours, company promised us that will be closing at and they changed their mind after 9 months .

"Best Job"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best thing about MFRM in my opinion is the company culture. I am a new employee and from the moment that I joined the company I noticed that everyone was genuinely invested in seeing me succeed. Everyone is always available for you when you need help and I always feel like I can reach out to the people in my district for guidance and support. It's definitely a big family here at Mattress Firm.

Cons

Extended hours during the holidays.

May 31, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Human Capital

Welcome to the Mattress Firm family! I am so happy to have you as part of the Houston team.

"Mattress Professional"

Former Employee - Mattress Professional in Hicksville, NY
    Former Employee - Mattress Professional in Hicksville, NY

I worked at Mattress Firm part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Biweekly payday, like clockwork
    Terrific training, on-going all the time
    Beautiful showrooms
    Very good delivery for buyers

Cons

Payroll "errors" always in company's favor, never favor the employee.
    New salespeople often assigned to worst showrooms.
    High earners strongly favored, making it hard for new hires to survive and move up.
    Long hours . . . with hours increased on holiday weekends.
    Salespeople doubled or tripled up on weekends and holidays, forcing salespeople to split their commissions into halves or thirds.
    Some managers try to teach salespeople to lie to customers to get a sale, apparently tactics they themselves used to pad their own sales that got them to the manager level.
    Salespeople are pushed to rush a sale to make them available for the next customer as soon as possible, whether or not there is a next customer.
    Salespeople are ordered to clean the bathrooms, take out garbage, vacuum the whole showroom, clean the windows, and keep all items off the sales desk except the phone and brochure racks.
    Open the showroom no later than ten minutes before opening time or get written up on your employee record. After so many "lates", you may expect to be terminated.
    Company may send in "shoppers" to test your salesmanship, starting with your greeting and adherence to script.
    Virtually every paycheck has errors in favor of the company, such as payroll's deducting money from the salesperson's pay when a customer exercises his right to exchange a mattress the salesperson or one of his sales associates sold.
    If a salesperson suffers an on-the-job injury that causes him to lose workdays, the company and its workers comp insurance company try to cheat the employee out of full insurance entitlements, requiring the employee to appeal to the Workers Comp Commissioner to get the benefit payments corrected.

Advice to Management

It does no good to give advice to management, and since employees are hired on an "at will" basis, the employee can be terminated at will with or without reason given.

Showing 1,828 of 1,844 reviews