Mattress Firm Reviews | Glassdoor

Ken Murphy

"Manager On Duty"

Former Employee - Manager On Duty in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Manager On Duty in Hartford, CT

I worked at Mattress Firm (Less than a year)

Pros

At least in CT the pay was pretty decent, there are not any managers breathing down your neck. very independent

Cons

Upper Management was terrible. In conversion stores people are still stuck in the Sleepys mindset, no room for promotion

Advice to Management

Honestly there is a lot I would say but the most important would be to actually care about your employees and invest time in them. Just because someone hasn't been there long doesn't mean they don't have the skill or ability.

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New Brunswick, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New Brunswick, NJ

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Since the change from sleepy there are no pros

Cons

Huge drop in pay, benefits have Doubled in cost. Management is awful, have no clue, PLUS no leadership. More people quitting than staying. Awful .

Advice to Management

Bring back old pay plan, and benefits, bring back the 401k match, that was taken away also, better advertising, and actually put a decent set of managers in place. Stop the favoritism....

"Assistent Store Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers and feild leadership has your back. Commision increase in California is incredible. Sales training is industry leading, although this is admittily from the previous companies ablity to take top notch sales consultants and have them instruct training classes. You work for the best because you are the best, wheither you're in operations or sales.

Cons

Corperate is beyond incompetent They cannot solve longistical issues that Sleep Train had worked out to a tee. You will have to accept that your customers are going to suffer dispite your best efforts because Mattress Firm's customer service is horrendous. Corporate's controling nature will cause you to lose sales or margin on your sales as you only recourse to save sales is often to give money off the order.

Promises are made and broken. Stores will not be repaired, renovated, and technology impimentations will be done with no care and often messed up to the point you lose business.

Mattress Firm

Their social media policies are a fantasic example, only allowing stict corperate tweets that go against best practices in regards to social selling. They send out threathening emails if certian finanal documents are not fulfilled correctly which threathen illegal deduction forbidden by the California labor code, and have you sign non competes which are void in the California.

Advice to Management

Field leadership is on point. Treat them like gold, or your in serious trouble. Corperate, you need a systems thinking approch to what you do- because your philiosphies of doing half a job will not cut it in California. Brush up on employment law in California becuase some of your policies are violation on our much more strict labor code. They way you go about things can be Athoritarian and ubfortunatly are out of line with the culture of your company

Invest in infrastructure. We need solutions so all staff memebers can place orders at all times. If a single family resurant can take my order on an ipad in a small town, you have zero excuses as to why we can'thave a soultion similar to that. We want to sell but the bottlenecking needs to be solved.

Give our Area Managers laptops and the ability to work remotly. You are bottlenecking them. Give them a $75 dollar credit and pay there cell bills, or the tech company down the street with Series "A" funding will offer them that, only with weekends off and a base salary of 60-90k, with an on target earning of 120k-200k, and you will not be able to replace them. The average sales salery in the SF bay is $116,000 a year., so you are being out competed in the talent acquision game by companies that are smaller and looking to steal you talent with fring benefits you can't afford. This area is talent starved and our company needs to treat these hard working mod managment like the super stars they are.

We want to train the talent you bring in, but we need humblness from corperate so we dont posion the new generation against you. Talent starve companies that offer reasonable hours, catered meals, and weekends off are stealing them, and often times us because of this. This is a hard job and we need more visibility, not just more communication.

Lastly, this is a great, fantastic company. It has the bones to be an industry leader. I want to be here, but we are all feeling uncared for. All we want is to do our jobs as well as we have in the past. We can't be the best anymore unless you emable us to be. Unless you give our moral some CPR, unless we stop feeling like potential criminals and children, we aren't going to be the greatest mattress company in the country. We will just be another large monopoly, and we all can't afford that.

5. "mgr on duty"

Current Employee - MOD in Port Jefferson, NY
    Current Employee - MOD in Port Jefferson, NY

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Allows you the ability to not be in a high pressure environment

Cons

Not enough base pay. Never a straight story. No commissions while training and heavy travel

Advice to Management

Tell the truth. Increase base pay to 15/16.00 an hour

"Meh"

Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are good people that work here.

Cons

Everyone starts with Pay Structure, so that. The main reason for so many problems as I see them is the inability for alignment with accountability. This company was great! I still am very thankful for the lessons learned over the last 9 years. There too often with this company is a vacuum, and what I mean is the expansion and growth have put people into positions with out the required skill set i.e. EQ, they often promote the top sales people, top brown noser's. The problem with this is salespeople are emotional by nature, they have the ability to connect with people on every level. Just being able to do that isn't enough for leaders, there has to be more! EQ is almost more important than IQ or ability to sell. Managers make bad decisions far too often due to their tender emotions being hurt. This opens the door to many things the worst of which is a lack of trust.

Advice to Management

Institute Mandatory trainings to the field leadership around controlling their emotions and interpersonal awareness. A DiSC is great but non of the field knows what to do with it! If you want to invest in your people, less of the BS sob stories about a DM getting upset that they were on their laptop and missed their child's story time during the Mach 1, and use that time for some real interpersonal courses for those same DMs and Regionals.

"Assistant Store Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hourly or commission whatever is more. Not much. Stay away from this place!

Cons

Grueling hours, sometimes 12 hour days and 6 day work weeks. Poor pay and compensation. They took away our 401k... No work life balance, you work every holiday and every weekend. Period. Micro managed

Advice to Management

More pay, better work life balance and don't make sales associates have to bag up beds... Or more entire show rooms, that is something that sales people shouldn't have to do, especially when we work mostly by ourselves.

Mattress Firm Response

Apr 5, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Human Capital

Thank you so much for your 3+ years as a Phoenix team member. We did make the decision to briefly pause our 401k match, but our core 401k program is still available to each of our associates. In ... More

"Difficulty with Upper Management"

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Mattress Firm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly colleagues, and good hours

Cons

Difficult to work with upper management, no flexibility

Advice to Management

Treat others how you want to be treated

Mattress Firm Response

Apr 5, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Human Capital

Thank you for taking a few minutes to leave your feedback and for being a part of the Tulsa Mattress Firm team - I wish you the best in your next career endeavor!

"Keep expectations low, but nice people"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Mattress Firm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most guests are friendly, likeable people. I have actually helped someone with a bad back. Basically nice people in the company seemingly all having the same issues.

Cons

The actual commision structure is close to scam/breaking labor rules. No one in management will ever discuss "draw". You will make hourly wage if you dont hit very high gross sales level. Only 10% of salespeople actually make above "draw"...minimum gross sales levels are only made at high volume stores. Truthfully, count on making mnimum wage.
    Very high turnover in Chicago market. Many strong salespersons have departed leaving alot of "average ness" and disgruntled employees.
    This next item is perhaps the strangest. The computer system software is (I kid you not) from circa 2009. Constantly needing to reboot, frozen screens, slow speed causing "hourglass" to appear. OMG, memories of my 2009 dell..and neverending microsoft updates..its so sad and strange to work with that im not sure what to call it? After a year+ on this system I just wore down. You will want to complain but everyone is numb to "this"

Advice to Management

Management is in the same boat.After leaving, I had sadness for them.

"Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Foster Kids, pay is average for the industry, management really seems focused on team profitability. Steinhoff purchase looks to give more opportunity to more employees

Cons

Convoluted commission calculations, management over extended so often snappy with staff, or just do not have the time to address issues in a timely manner. Sales staff is expected to reset stores (beds & bases) on a frequent basis, items sometimes weight up to 180 pounds.

Advice to Management

Bring more professionalism to the front likes, current culture is more like a locker room than a business. Sales people are not furniture movers and should not be expected to move power bases on a frequent basis.

"Good place to start - Run when you can"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Boise, ID

I have been working at Mattress Firm (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy company to get started in a sales career. Lots of training available to jump start learning the sales process. If you start out early and are willing to relocate there is room to grow with the company and make good money.

Cons

Basically an hourly, FSLA exempt position in most cases (meaning close to 50 hours a week, if fully staffed, with no overtime pay). Opportunity for commission earnings is minimal, and current commission structure is extraordinarily convoluted. Very little room for advancement for most people, and highly political environment.

Advice to Management

Remember the company values: Passion, Service, Integrity. Use these values to determine if what you are doing is the right thing for the company, the employees, and the customer.

Showing 207 of 1,798 reviews