Mattress One "mattress one" Reviews | Glassdoor

Mattress One Employee Reviews about "mattress one"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Fastest growing mattress retailer in Texas"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Magnolia, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Magnolia, TX

I have been working at Mattress One full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Looking for an opportunity to join a company with unlimited growth potential. You need to take a look at Mattress One. I have been with this company for over 4 years and absolutely love it here. I am one of the sales trainers for this company and we are constantly training new and senior employees to help better their skill sets so that we can continue to be a dominate mattress retailer in the Texas market. Some experience required but we will train anyone without experience that shows desire to learn and be part of a winning team.

Cons

Need to be able to work weekends.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what we've been doing. We are a company that hires and promotes within.

"Only Lies in a Dying Industry..."

Former Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Mattress One full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of time to mess with your phone, or play computer games.

Cons

Working at Mattress One in general sets people up to fail, by giving prospective new employees the complete wrong idea about your likely earning potential going in. Perhaps in some distant past, when the consumer was in better shape, credit standards were easier, and mattress store saturation was not so high, the existing business structure may have worked for more people. Now the ranting and raving of trainers and management appears like that of mad cultists who have drank too much of their own kool-aide.

Basically, in most locations the combination of slow store traffic, and low customer quality among those who do come in, in terms of those who can get credit to afford the higher end beds you must sell in order to hit commissions, guarantees that most sales reps will make minimum wage. There is no way to reconcile the math on the commission plan when you input the number of ups you see and which beds they can afford, with the expectations of the management.

The only management responses to these realities are to condemn your “negativity” until you shut up, or to insist that you should treat your retail position as a outside sales position, start making cold calls to past customers, spam your friends and family on social media, spend your own money out of pocket to fund advertising and display merch, and in general treat the position as if you are a franchise owner.

There's more than one problem with this. For one, there's no stability in your position. You can be promised a job title, pay structure, store location, and a certain schedule one week, only to have it changed drastically the next. Any investment you make in a location can be rendered null and void in an instant. Of the dozen or more locations I have reviewed the data for during my time here, fewer than 1 in 6 generates enough revenue to have the employees working there earn commission. A few more will pop up above that line a bit during big holiday weekend sales, perhaps 3 times a year, then spend the rest of the year with no realistic way to earn more.

Even if you somehow managed the most optimistic assumptions about what you could do to bring people in your store, once you accomplish this, more employees will simply be dumped into your location, diluting your ups and sales. To your face the management will say, “There are no bad stores, only bad salespeople.” but when it comes time to schedule employees, there certainly is a pecking order when it comes to locations, and stores with high volume will simply have more people stationed there until everyone makes next to nothing, so actions speak louder than words in that regard.

Besides this, I find the whole outside sales narrative of working the phone to be a false one. Even if you get more people in the store, they will be drawn from the same pool of low credit quality, and won't be able to make the large purchases you need to move the needle for commissions. This is the ultimate flaw in this sales structure. If you're selling houses or cars, the government has your back for the loans, and if they go bad they can always take back the product, so everyone gets approved. A bed on the other hand is worthless the moment they take it out of the plastic, so deadbeats who get a lease for a lexus and a mcmansion won't get approved for that tempur-pedic you need to sell. We live in a false economy.

It's not hard to present the product and get people to like it. That's very simple and easy. What is hard is finding people with the credit to afford them on a consistent enough basis to make you any money. In this way, really doesn't matter how good of a salesperson you are in this role. In this environment, the vast majority will fail to make anything, and even those at the top will fall short of the insane figures offered (six figures) by management.

In general the specialty mattress store business, along with most of US based retail is entering a structural economic decline that cannot be prevented short of issuing bad credit or hyper-inflating the currency. There are simply too many locations, some built even within a mile of each other, or at each freeway exit, or sometimes you will even see multiple of these types of stores built into the same strip center or mini-mall. It's simply an unsustainable business model, and if anyone wanted to bet me if in 10 years there would be more specialty mattress stores in the US, I would gladly take the other side of that bet for as much as I could realistically afford. There is simply no reason for the number of stores out there, and no realistic path for most to work here to make anything more than minimum wage while keeping the door open and the lights on for an industry that is bleeding money and waiting for it's own demise.

In conclusion, most people applying here are looking for a retail position, and the vast majority of those will only make minimum wage, while being constantly bombarded with outright lies from the management about what is going on with the company and how business is going. Most people can't take this, and will quit in short order.

If you do have the skill set and the desire to work this job like an outside sales position, I don't recommend it. You can make much more money selling insurance or some other product with a much better compensation plan and a stable territory, you'd simply be wasting your talent here, and realistically this job isn't setup for that sort of operation, whatever success you have will simply be stolen from you or diluted with additional reps. They have no loyalty and will take whatever action they can to make an extra buck. You aren't even human in their eyes.

Advice to Management

Cut your losses, get out of the market while the money you have left is worth anything. This credit cycle is over.

"Just Don't"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Mattress One full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Able to work with autonomy.

Cons

NO Vacation, Long hours, Super slow, NO traffic. I have never worked in sales where I had to rely on the hourly rate of pay...EVER. They act like you should live at Mattress One...they call meetings 2 days in advance and make them mandatory, the schedule sometimes doesn't come out until they text you what you'll be working tomorrow. Really poor planning, it's demeaning to be treated like you don't have a life. They schedule you 6 days without asking. They schedule you more than 7 days straight.(against the law). You get promised 50K a year and make 30K. They are continually messing around with your pay structure....8%, then 7%, then 6% with a higher hourly rate, and you WILL need the hourly to survive. Their customer service is atrocious...why even have a customer service department, if you're not going to solve problems? Refunds linger on for months, guests are pissed off. You are expected to provide any additional POP, i.e., balloons, banners, helium. Talk is cheap...put up or shut down.

Advice to Management

Stop opening new stores in an over saturated market and run the stores you have. Get some real customer service people to run that department. Handle customer issues promptly. Pay your people well, or they won't stay. Stop lying to interviewees about what they'll make. Plan better, schedule more than one week in advance(oh, you can't because people are quitting all the time). This 9-9 crap during every holiday weekend is getting really old. Could we have one meeting start on time or not drag on for hours? Call Marcus Lemonis?

4. "Excited about my new career with Mattress One."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Mattress One (Less than a year)

Pros

I think the best thing is there is a lot of opportunity to move up, the company is growing fast. Also the way Mattress One pays is second to none. I have sales experience and their pay structure is actually amazing compared to every sales job I have had. Also you see commercials everywhere.

The training was great and my District Manager is a good guy. Great overall experience so far.

Cons

Mattress One is a growing company, the only con is they are growing too quickly. Also retail sales is slow sometimes although most of the time you get a lot of customers, You just have to be patient.

Advice to Management

Train the new sale staff more often. The classroom training was great but when you get into the stores there is not a lot of training.

Create more departments, People handle a lot of different jobs.

5. "Great Opportunities!"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Mattress One full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Mattress one is a family owned company that is all about the employees. If we don't sale for them and make money they obviously don't get paid. They make sure we have all the tools necessary. The training is so in depth you have no choice but to catch it all. We're all about our customers, making sure we take care of everyone that comes in but also when they leave the store. It's a strong, fast paced growing company I plan on moving as high up as possible.

Cons

Slow months, which everyone has.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing to better us as the employees but also the company.

6. "Mattress one"

I have been working at Mattress One full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for the fastest growing mattress retailer in the U.S
    And also the second largest thus far. Very competitive with excellent pay and training. The room for advancement is great. Very strong leaders in place to give you all the tools you need to succeed.

Cons

None thus far I am very happy working for mattress one and I plan on staying to continue to grow!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

7. "More than a Job"

I have been working at Mattress One full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mattress One is completely changing the structure and outlook of sales and sleep. The biggest attraction to Mattress One is certainly the culture. I even place the value of the culture above the ridiculous amount of income you can generate. The culture of Mattress One is one that feels as you're actually a part of something bigger than a typical retain chain. Every single one of the district managers are passionate about coaching and coming up with more and more innovative ways to help you get better.

I can honestly say that since I've been employed here my level of stress has plummeted. I don't wake up in the morning feeling like I dread my job. Its kind of like you're rushing to work to be ready for people to hand you ridiculous amounts of money. I will say that you'll want to take full advantage of all the resources to hone your craft.

This is really the only place where I've felt that my ideas or thoughts were not only greatly taken into consideration, they were often time implemented.

If you want to work at a place where you're simply a drone, this may not be the best fit. If you want a place where you can grow, challenge yourself, and generate the lifestyle that you feel you deserve, then you're where you belong.

Cons

Well, if I'm to be honest the only con with Mattress 1 is its infancy. There are a lot of things that I've seen improve over the past two years, but there's certainly much more work to be done. The company has many of the issues you'd expect to come with a rapidly growing company.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to continue doing what they're doing. Doing what works, and discarding what doesn't. Constantly adapting and changing to the demands of your subordinates and clientele is what creates success. It seems lie the management team already has this figured out, which is quite comforting.

"Great Culture, Great Leadership Opportunity, Great Pay!"

Current Employee - District Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - District Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Mattress One full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Mattress One has great leadership and culture. They really care about the personal advancement and place talented team members in positions to broaden their passions, talents and skill sets.
    I have never worked for a place that has embraced me and what my goals are. Mattress One has been one of the best decisions I have ever made!

Cons

None really, Mattress One is a growing company and we try everyday to overcome our obstacles. We are inspired by our shortcomings and strive very hard every day to address every negative that comes our way in a positive manner.

Advice to Management

Keep Being Awesome!