Mattress Warehouse Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 18, 2019

3.2
John Ahern

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Positive work environment and great benefits" (in 5 reviews)

• "Family owned company that treats it's employees as important parts of the team" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours but you make more money" (in 17 reviews)

• "Absolutely no work life balance" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Best company that I've worked for"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Durham, NC

I have been working at Mattress Warehouse full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The DM and RM always has his employees best interest at heart. They are also very understanding about family. Best bosses ever

Cons

The hours are really long but the job is well worth it. That's all the cons I have but they said I have to have 20 words

Advice to Management

Dont change a thing about how y'all manage

Aug 23, 2018 – Marketing Manager

Thank you for being part of the Mattress Warehouse team. We are pleased to hear that your Management team is working well to make sure everyone's needs are met. We appreciate your feedback.

2. "Help people finally get rest!"

Current Employee - Store Manager/Sales Manager in Chambersburg, PA
    Current Employee - Store Manager/Sales Manager in Chambersburg, PA

I have been working at Mattress Warehouse full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The People you get to meet/interact with is one of many joys of the position. The camaraderie between upper level management and staff makes thing a little easier. Good benifits/401k/Med/Dental/Vision. Plans. Game nights/concerts....the list gos ons as far as perks go. Pay is ok. BUT the potential to bonus and have commission is why I came to play.

Cons

Long hours. Typically 52-60+ depending if you are lucky enough to see customers and when they decide to come in. Some days you see no one.

Advice to Management

Stop lowering the commissions. You will end up driving away your top producers which will hurt the overall bottom line as a company. And please make 45hr wks 1 week then 52+ the following week. It would boost morale, and would provide more of a work and life balance.

3. "Very dishonest company ran be even more dishonest people"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Leesburg, VA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Leesburg, VA

I have been working at Mattress Warehouse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great job if your lazy or stupid or promised a larger salary than what they claim they pay everyone in their handbook.

Cons

Used to pay well, now the company makes up laughable excuses to cut commissions almost every month citing indefensible reasons that only a teenager or person who barley spoke English ( ie their ideal employees) the pay gap is the largest of anywhere I've worked. some are given contractually larger salaries and get promised top stores and other perks in contracts while others make minimum wage in stores that little to no traffic . management doesn't communicate this and just pretends those people are "better salespeople". Most people do not make commission and there is a high turn over which is the only way to keep people ' on the Kool aid'. Low commissions used to be double when I started, everything is always on sale everyday . Nobody is accountable at corporate , whenever you visit it's a miserable place where everyone hangs their heads, no one smiles besides upper management. Dishonest sales tactics that are totally outdated. Upper management is the biggest joke of it all mostly people from other failed outdated businesses like RadioShack ,used car dealers, gypsies, cell phone sales people. No one from upper management can sell and just use the sales data which they keep secret to manipulate people and use it to their beneifit . The sales process (bedmatch) is painfully stupid and dishonest to the customer. It's also designed to replace the salespeople to cut cost . Also the company controls bedmatchs recommendations based on sales and other things which make it harder to keep up with the big lie about how it's 'science'.

Advice to Management

Stop surrounding yourself with yes men and people from recently failed industries. Why not hire people who are actual successful at running companies that are STILL in business and STILL successful. Everyone in corporate are home grown 'good ol boys ' with time put in but no real ideals or people from radio shack or vacuum salespeople who are giving the same advice that tanked their last industry. Stop trying to reinvent the wheel the bedmatch is a scam and a joke. Just a big scale.

4. "Work like a dog"

I have been working at Mattress Warehouse full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Not much to speak on.

Cons

Too many to list here

"Sales Associate / Store Manager"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Store Manager in Rehoboth Beach, DE
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Store Manager in Rehoboth Beach, DE

I worked at Mattress Warehouse full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Exceptional opportunity and income potential. Great training and product knowledge. A promote from within environment.

Cons

Long hours, working holidays are the only real cons. but you do reap what you sew.

Advice to Management

In my 10 years with you, I have seen exceptional growth in both company size and culture. Continue on that path.

Nov 19, 2018 – Marketing Manager

Thank you for being a part of the Mattress Warehouse family. We value all of our employees and the feedback. We thank you for service over the years and hope you will continue to grow with us in the... More

6. "Nice place to work"

I have been working at Mattress Warehouse full-time

Pros

Rewarding if you are in a good location

Cons

Poor delivery service. This has resulted in multiple cancellations and poor morale as sales people loose commissions and have to entertain bad reviews.

Advice to Management

Need to fix delivery issues immediately. Higher pay will also help in retention.

Oct 11, 2018 – Marketing Manager

As a family owned business, we value employee feedback and strive to make changes where/when possible to better understand the needs of our staff. Your feedback is appreciated and we thank you for... More

"Lots of growth opportunities"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Short Pump, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Short Pump, VA

I have been working at Mattress Warehouse full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Unlimited earning potential, lots of room for growth, as company is expanding, good management.

Cons

Lots of hours, especially on holidays. Company is a bit behind the times in terms of technology, occasional supply issues

Advice to Management

Shore up what you have, digitize sales books and sales tags, allow sales staff to see stock anywhere so that they can find what a customer needs without having to call stores and interrupt sales.

Oct 11, 2018 – Marketing Manager

Thank you for your feedback. As a family owned business, we value employee feedback and strive to make changes where/when possible to better understand the needs of our staff. We will send your... More

8. "Stock person"

I have been working at Mattress Warehouse part-time

Pros

Managers were flexible with hours, great for a high school kid

Cons

Lack of oversight, training or development oppurtunity for part time

Oct 11, 2018 – Marketing Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience. At Mattress Warehouse we value employee feedback as an opportunity to improve our culture and processes. Thank you for being a part of the Mattress Warehouse... More

9. "Good company to work for. Depending on the position can be alot of hours but reasonable work."

I worked at Mattress Warehouse part-time

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere except warehouse work

Cons

Long hours for sales reps

Aug 23, 2018 – Marketing Manager

Thank you for your feedback. As a family owned business, we value employee feedback and strive to make changes where/when possible to better understand the needs of our staff. We wish you well in... More

10. "You Do Everything"

Pros

Great opportunity to prove yourself. Sink or Swim!

Cons

You Must be able to Do it All !

Aug 23, 2018 – Marketing Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience. At Mattress Warehouse we value employee feedback as an opportunity to improve our culture and processes. We wish you the best in your future endeavors.