Maui Divers Jewelry Reviews | Glassdoor

Maui Divers Jewelry Reviews

Updated 13 Jul 2019

Found 32 reviews

2.8
Maui Divers Jewelry CEO Bob Taylor (no image)
Bob Taylor

"The most enjoyable job I’ve ever had"

Former Employee - Lead Caster in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Maui Divers Jewelry full-time for more than a year

Pros

The work environment is fantastic; it’s a great vibe, and wonderful coworkers. The only reason I left is because I have to move with my family. Otherwise, I’d still be a very happy employee. I’m very grateful, and proud that I was a part of this wonderful company.

Cons

I can’t think of anything negative to say about this company.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! You guys are fantastic. Just keep the positive vibes going, and you’ll continually own the show. THANK YOU AGAIN!

Maui Divers Jewelry2019-07-14

"Nothing has changed in the last 8 years"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Maui Divers Jewelry full-time for more than a year

Pros

Coworkers are genuine and relatable. There’s a strong sense of camaraderie knowing everyone feels the same way about the company being a total disaster.

Cons

The following are excerpts from reviews since 2011. Close to nothing has changed in the work environment: 2011: an OK job, but not something I would recommend as a career “unprofessional management, lack of communication, deceiving...” 2013: Working at Maui Divers “There is nothing to really work towards...there is no incentive or growth potential within this company...you need to be honest and up front about the... fact that rarely does someone advance, and never will they receive a raise as long as they stay in the position they were hired for” 2014: “...not a long term career path...upper management does not know how to run company, and non potential for growth...” Dead end job “NO advances and NO raise! You can work ad MDJ for 10 yrs and still get paid the same as when you first got hired...tell your designers to come up with new designs. Try to design towards all ages, not just eighty to ninety year olds.” 2015: No Respect “Poor management...no opportunity to raise within the company, and no raises no matter how long you work there. Poor compensation...” “Don’t hire by blood relations, especially for upper management. Hire people who have the right set of skills and background, and are willing to be team players rather than just bossing others around...” 2016: Would not recommend to anyone “Terrible upper level management who do not know what they are doing. No teamwork or collaboration between them, constant conflict of personal interest affecting greater good of the company. Four CEO’s in past 2 years prove no one knows what they are doing.” Regional Director of Sales/Operations “The biggest Con is the management of the brand by the current CEO and corporate executive team...(company is) unwilling or unable to adept to new marketing conditions. The organization has regressed 20 years by reinstating a past CEO who is unwilling to adept and learn...” 2017: Stay away “Don’t let family take over management unless they are properly trained.” Dungeon of Doom and Gloom “You’ll appreciate all past and future employees after working at Maui Divers Jewelry. “Incompetent, nepotistic management serves as the poster child for the Dunning-Kruger effect” “Managers with self-anointed titles are unqualified to make important decisions” Going Downhill “Unabashed favoritism, nepotism...” “The supervisors and upper management are the most two-faced and untrustworthy. With the way they treat their employees, it’s no wonder they’re always hiring.” 2019: It could be better... potential is there” “Everything about MDJ is old. The building, the way of thinking, etc.” “As part of the creative team, you expect to have some up to date equipment...no wifi because IT thinks it’s a security risk.” “There is no room for growth. Don’t expect to ‘move up’ as there is no room or positions for you to strive for. The turn over rate is very high.” Just don’t do it “Keep doing what you do! Not like any advice will stick anyways. Cole lives in his own special world where daddy sits on the board of directors so does not matter. Not a single shred of advice will even be considered...”

Advice to Management

This company is really behind because you don’t listen to your employees. A lot of solid young potential has left this company because you steamroll over any suggestions and advice they have even though THEY are the ones that went to school and THEY are the subject matter experts. Pay your employee’s what their worth, and maybe they wont give up trying to help this mess of a company.

Maui Divers Jewelry2019-06-24

"Just Don't Do It"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Maui Divers Jewelry full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The only pro i can even think of is that you get paid, not very much but at least they pay you?

Cons

I hope you have some time to read all of this. From low pay to overpriced healthcare. Managers who compete against you for sales. Upper management who ignores any concerns. People doing whatever they want and getting away with it. I mean this section could go on for days. Oh is my english really good. Yes, read this and try to narrow it down. Honestly the best thing i ever did was LEAVE maui divers. the stress of... low pay and high expectations was just too much to even deal with anymore. You are better off at mcdonalds because at least there is french fries over there. oh yes, and the chance to move up in a company. you wont be making any moves in Maui Divers. Unless you want to be a store lead and be held responsible for dumb peoples mistakes. Do you want to feel inadequate and only make $13 an hour? then work for maui divers. yes there is commission but GOOD LUCK trying to understand it. they set it up in such a way that you cant even really figure it out without a brain surgeon to assist you. maybe a rocket scientist.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do! Not like any advice will stick anyways. Cole lives in his own special world where daddy sits on the board of directors so does not matter. Not a single shred of advice will ever even be considered so this space is a waste for this company.

Maui Divers Jewelry2019-05-23

"It could be better... potential is there"

Current Employee - Creative in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Maui Divers Jewelry full-time for less than a year

Pros

Co-workers are genuinely nice and want to be creative, try new things

Cons

The company vibe is generally 'old'. Everything about MDJ is old. The building, the way of thinking, etc. There are two sides to this company, the factory and corporate. Tech: for anyone working in corporate, everyone is working on stone aged computers, some have CRT monitors and use paper files. As part of the creative team, you expect to have some up to date equipment, instead you get machines from 2012 with... Windows 7 and no WIFI... no wifi because the IT team thinks it's a security risk. Corp feels very top heavy in certain departments. For example, one team which will remain nameless consists of a VP and a Director. That's it. There's no room for growth. Don't expect to 'move up' as there is no room or positions for you to strive for. The turn over rate is very high. Nobody seems to have been there for more than 2 years with the exception of non corp employees who've been there 20+ years. Pay is extremely low, which is some what expected as Hawaii employers tend to low ball... the price for paradise. Design: in regards to the graphics team, there is no creative direction. It's pretty much throw stuff on the wall and see what sticks. There are too many hands in the cookie jar and the current heads of creative should not be dictating the designs.

Advice to Management

Company in general needs a fresh take on everything. Need to move out of the current building, re-organize teams to be more efficient. Invest more money into updating equipment. Trust in your subject matter experts and try new things.

Maui Divers Jewelry2019-03-12
  5. "Regional Director"

Former Employee - Regional Director in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Maui Divers Jewelry full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The entire Maui Divers Ohana

Cons

No cons to working at Maui Divers

Maui Divers Jewelry2018-05-31

"Lack of Directon"

I worked at Maui Divers Jewelry full-time

Pros

Sales staff try their best, the company has been around for a long time, the brand is reputable.

Cons

Lack of management and CEO direction (although the CEO for this review has left). Constant changing of desired outcomes and no direction or leadership how to achieve these outcomes. Staff are competing against store mangers for sales. Store managers are trying to meet personal sales goals and manage and motivate their teams (as well as store operations).

Advice to Management

Reward your managers for team based goals not personal goals. Pop into the stores often and be pleasant. Update the stores, they look tired and old. Reduce your inventory.

Maui Divers Jewelry2018-05-02

"Great company to work for"

I have been working at Maui Divers Jewelry full-time

Pros

Management and HR are always there for you, great training, thorough interview process, excellent benefits (and jewelry discounts!)... It is really one big Ohana!!

Cons

The only thing that I can think of is just that there is sometimes turnover in retail due to it being, well retail. But we all stick together and help each other out and grow stronger!

Advice to Management

Keep doing your thing and being there for us and training us!

Maui Divers Jewelry2017-12-05
  8. "A good, solid company with passionate and caring individuals."

I have been working at Maui Divers Jewelry full-time for more than a year

Pros

Leaders with vision. Employees who care. Great benefits and company incentives. Good training program for sales associates. Competitive wages. Nearly everyone in every department inherently wants to do well for the company. Some very strong leaders in the retail division.

Cons

None specific to the company really. Just general retail and manufacturing ups and downs. Being so diverse can sometimes lead to moments of perceived misdirection, but having a strong CEO and BOD helps manage that.

Maui Divers Jewelry2017-11-12

December 5, 2017Director of Human Resources

I am glad that you are happy at Maui Divers :)

"Going Downhill"

I have been working at Maui Divers Jewelry full-time for more than a year

Pros

Healthcare benefits, commission can be good.

Cons

Unabashed favoritism, nepotism, and outright backstabbing.

Advice to Management

The supervisors and upper management are the most two faced and untrustworthy. With the way they treat their employees, it's no wonder they're always hiring.

Maui Divers Jewelry2017-10-13

October 24, 2017Director of Human Resources

Aloha, I am so sorry that you feel this way. Please let management or anyone in corporate/HR know if there is anything that they can do to help make you happier and we sure will do our best. Mahalo.

"Dungeon of Doom and Gloom"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Maui Divers Jewelry full-time

Pros

You'll appreciate all past and future employers after working for Maui Divers Jewelry.

Cons

- Workplace has the warmth and ambiance of a medieval dungeon in winter. - Stairways reek of rotting garbage. - Parking area is permeated with the stench of urine. - Incompetent, nepotistic management serves as the poster child for the Dunning-Kruger effect. - Managers with self-anointed titles are unqualified to make important decisions. - Cowardly managers blame direct reports for results when the... employees merely carried out the misguided orders of their bosses. - Bias against older, experienced, higher salaried workers who are tapped for their knowledge then fired and replaced by low-salaried novices. - Flawed products are pitched to customers with slick sales rhetoric. - Unethical ownership maligns an employee to acquaintances who spread the defamation throughout the worker's neighborhood.

Maui Divers Jewelry2017-06-11

June 28, 2017Director of Human Resources

We appreciate that every person has an a opinion and you certainly voiced yours. In our 58 years of business, we have had great successes and we take the most pride in our people, our ohana. We have employees that have been with our Company for 20, 30 and 40+ years. This is the ...

Found 32 reviews