Maurice Sporting Goods Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.4
Jory Katlin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Excellent Company with Many Loyal Associates"

I have been working at Maurice Sporting Goods full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great coworkers - friendly and always willing to help each other. Family Environment - management/owners care about their associates. My manager truly cares about us and we are able to balance work and family.

Cons

Working through a reorganization like many companies have to do. This is new to this company and has caught associates off guard when they aren't used to having to go through layoffs here. But the changes will help us become a stronger company to last another 90 years and beyond. The company has recently begun daily updates so everyone is aware of how we are doing. Communication has increased and had gotten a lot better over the past few months.

Advice to Management

We appreciate the increase in communication and the opportunity to share our thoughts and suggestions.

2. "National Account Coordinator"

I worked at Maurice Sporting Goods full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly co workers, supportive environment

Cons

Business is struggling right now, they should come around

3. "Getting its act together!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Maurice Sporting Goods full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The future is much brighter at Maurice than it may have seemed 6 months ago. Although the company has struggled in the past year (due to both external and internal issues), positive changes are being put into place and the progress is very evident. The owners are actively involved and passionate about their business and their employees. For the most part, all of the employees here are great, hardworking, and friendly people.

Summer half-day Fridays are the best!

Cons

-low pay
    -some weak upper management
    -favoritism

"Smoke and Mirrors"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Maurice Sporting Goods full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Family Feel, Valued, Open Communication from Upper Management, several in office events to boost morale.

Cons

All of the above is a Smoke and Mirrors act. There is this fake transparency, upper management holds meetings to tell you what is happening with the company and how things are looking up...and the next day people are losing their jobs with NO severance or assistance because the company is in such financial ruin. Tales of good things to come never come to fruition.

Advice to Management

SHAME ON YOU.

Loyal and talented people laid off with out warning or any compensation. You have destroyed people, their lives and lively hood.
    For a "family" company, you have a terrible way of treating family. I hope karma will treat you exactly of how you have treated hundreds of people...with out compassion.

5. "territory manager"

I have been working at Maurice Sporting Goods full-time

Pros

Family company with great corporate culture.

Cons

Company restructuring and lack of communication

Advice to Management

Continue to improve communication and be open and honest.

6. "Good coming going through very rough times"

I worked at Maurice Sporting Goods full-time

Pros

Owners are actively involved in the business, and try to know everyone.

Cons

Going through challenging financial times, just had a lot of lay offs. Business will likely get smaller before it stabilizes. Has lost some of the family atmosphere

7. "Hoping for the best"

I have been working at Maurice Sporting Goods full-time

Pros

Flexible hours
    In-house fitness center
    Great associates and friends

Cons

Tough retail landscape
    Emotional decision making instead of factual
    Poor communication between departments and all around

8. "Ok place to work until laid off without notice"

Former Employee - Field Service Merchandiser in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Field Service Merchandiser in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Maurice Sporting Goods part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay, No one hovering over you, Hours

Cons

Communication, Management, Varying weekly hours

Advice to Management

Give notice before layoffs would be nice

9. "Resilient company"

I worked at Maurice Sporting Goods full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people to work with and for. The 94 years of existence through times much tougher than today says it all.
    The opportunity to work with the biggest and best retailers and manufacturers in the outdoor sporting goods business. Creativity and the entrepreneurial spirit has always been encouraged.
    While it has been tough times recently, the tough (and often painful) actions taken by ownership once again show their commitment to the future of a successful business. Very committed family ownership with CEO having strong support of brother, cousin, and son.
    For those (previous posts) who feel suggestions are not listened to or taken seriously I say you couldn't be more wrong (communication as to outcome needs to improve).
    If you are willing to work hard and want a good future, this is the company. No gimmies you have to earn it!

Cons

They have mostly cleansed themselves of the duplication (and sometimes triplication of efforts - positions). More work is ahead but the outlook is positive.

Advice to Management

Keep the faith! Tough unpopular decision were made but, for the right reasons. Unfair criticism is sure to be there. But so is future success.

10. "Garbage - Pure and simple"

Former Employee - Sales Support in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Support in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Maurice Sporting Goods part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In the beginning this was a great company to work for. In my field of work was my own boss and was able to get the job done on my schedule.

Cons

Company dropped like a rock over the last year paychecks were not being cashed by Wal-Mart check cashing store. Huge layoffs and did not even have the class to face employees whose lives they wrecked because of their stupidity. Company leadership wrecked the company and should be held accountable in court. Company has made zero attempt at making right this and has offered no assistance what so ever to former employees such as job placement or any form of remittance for their actions. Company claims to care about employees based on my own views and the views of those they screwed over we see it differently. I will have to hire a lawyer to get my profit sharing and am being told by them that it was eat up in admin fees. Pure garbage and I am glad that the rest of the sporting goods industry swept out the trash. Because bottom line you lay off your work force then a week later go brag in the society page about how great you are and then send your executives on a golf retreat ( that don't look good) taking food out of the mouths of those you claim you care about. You may think you have done nothing wrong but one day God will past judgement on trash like you.

Advice to Management

First and fore most get your lives right with God. Get ready for the chickens to come home because you may not be held accountable here on Earth but your day is coming in Heaven. Second stop lying you messed up and face the music because every last one of us should sue you personally down to your drawers and the company for negligence. Fire all your management top to bottom show compassion for the mess you made and the lives you wrecked because of your stupidity. Do what is right and just stop lying that you care about your associates and finally bend over because you are going to get the spanking you deserve for your actions. Some of us are taking you to court and a class action lawsuits will force you into a big hole my friend. I strongly encourage all to avoid this garbage company let them destroy themselves.