Cover image for Maurices

Maurices

Engaged Employer

Maurices

Add a Review

Maurices Employee Reviews about "hour"

Updated Dec 7, 2023

Verify your email to use filters. Having problems? Resend email
Found 1,876 of over 2K reviews
3.6
68% Recommend to a Friend
81% Approve of CEO

Found 334 of over 2K reviews

3.6
Maurices President and CEO George Goldfarb and David Kornberg (no image)
George Goldfarb and David Kornberg

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor

Pros
Cons
  • "the pay is low for how much you have to buy in clothing and I am unable to switch shifts often(in 135 reviews)
  • "bad management led me to look fork work elsewhere(in 97 reviews)
  • "Part time assistant managers have been promoted to store managers over me and without completing the MBA program.(in 70 reviews)
  • "Poor upper management.(in 47 reviews)
  • "No work life balance most of the time(in 42 reviews)

Ratings by Demographics

Want more options?

This rating reflects the overall rating of Maurices and is not affected by filters.

Reviews about "hour"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 2.0
      Jun 29, 2019
      Sales Associate - Stylist
      Lakewood, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Most of my co-workers were kind of fun to work with.

Cons

Management is very immature-- it is almost like being in high school again. Pay is terrible, minimum wage. Hours are long and schedule is not flexible

1. 1.0
        Aug 6, 2012
        Former Employee, less than 1 year
        Pleasant Prairie, WI
        Business Outlook

Pros

Discount Nice clothing : ) Good corporate ( free candy on holidays)

Cons

Have to buddy up with managers to get promotions Favoritism All the mangers walk all over you they nit pick on your attire and physic (chipped nails, wet hair) Managers and other associates steal your sales Have to give your sales away via 'rotating sales' on the weekends (the most volume days) Won't work with school or family life Cuts your hours if your not 'preforming' the way you want to Will cut hours due to stats but complain about how your not making stats (YOU HAVE NO HOURS TO MAKE THEM! ) Expects you to wear Maurices like clothing but will say something if managers don't think its very MauriceS Ran by teenagers (my one manager was 17) Never expect to get anything that is promised (compensation rates and such) Managers think they are better than you (and treat you that way when they work at a lady's clothing store!) Store managers hire new people and cut everyone elses hours (bad) to train them Holds meetings at 10:30 at night on weekdays when school is in session and expects you to be there Store managers make you complete worksheets Manager cant handle the store on her own POOR COMPENSATION RATES FOR ANYONE WHO ISN'T A MANAGER (sales associates and sales support) They 'prefer' associates to have the charge card Must be a mindless teenager to work there

2. Join the Maurices team
        See Our Latest Jobs
          Sep 15, 2013
          Full Time Assistant Manager
          Middleton, WI
          Business Outlook

Pros

I learned a lot while working here and it was perfect management experience.

Cons

Retail hours and as a manager I was only paid $9.00 even with my 4 year degree in Consumer Affairs. Left and got a job paying $20 an hour with my qualifications

1. 1.0
            Nov 13, 2020
            Store Leader
            Former Employee, more than 3 years
            Business Outlook

Pros

Very easy job hours were not too crazy not salary so worked my 40 and went home

Cons

District leader was horrible she is no longer with the company and im glad they fired her

1. 5.0
              Feb 17, 2014
              Assistant Manager
              Knoxville, TN
              Business Outlook

Pros

It is in Forbes top retail companies to work for. All positions are equally treated. Always room for growth.

Cons

limited hours for sales associates (that's with the majority of retail because of payroll)

Feb 5, 2013
                Business Outlook

Pros

The store is bright and open, has various "shops" with everything from casual to dressy and in between. Co-workers are like a second family and really make the difference from good to great in terms of teamwork and support. For me, my co-workers are why I stayed as long as I did. The discount is great at 40% (additional 20% off sale merch) and there are clothes for most personal styles and occupations. The company's bottom line is great and they also like to promote from within. There are rewards for making goals and depending on your team the atmosphere is usually bustling and happy, even on slower days. Your experience will vary greatly depending on your team and the way in which the store manager runs the show.

Cons

- This company is flat-out ridiculous when it comes to pushing their store credit card. Employees, associates and managers alike, are punished by upper management for not meeting credit card goals, which is about 30 new applications a week (this is impossible to reach, especially in smaller towns with a lot of regular customers.) You can be written up for not reaching your individual credit card goal (three write-ups and you're fired.) - While the company does like to promote from within, this takes a very long time. Also, depending on the size of your store, moving from part-time employment to full-time can be non-existent, and transfering stores is also quite the process and not very time efficient. - The pay is lacking for associates at around $8 - 8.50 an hour and you're only eligible for a raise once a year in the spring/summer; these can be good or bad (they're based on your sales numbers - for a low seller the raise can be nothing to about 10 cents.) Always ask for a quarter more when you're given the job. - The return policy is also ridiculous; the company is only hurting itself here. For example, I had a customer that returned a pair of jeans that she bought more than a YEAR ago, returning them because they 'wore out.' My manager said I had to do it. There are plenty of fraudulent returns as well, ones without receipts and from other stores, and you can be punished if you're the employee doing that return transaction. - The company's anti-shoplifting policies are also terrible - they basically make it impossible to apprehend shoplifters, and this can make for a stressful work enviroment during busier times. There can also be terrible communication (as was the case for me) between associates and upper management, and also bad communication between store managers and district managers. - While the company has an anti-gossiping policy, this is still a major issue that goes unaddressed (I heard many, many unprofessional comments made by both the store manager and DM) and can encourage cattiness in some situations. Cattiness also ensues if your store has individual sales goals and 'games' to get larger sales. - Full timers are expected to make several thousand a week, which can be hard, and even part-time associates are expected to make up to $1200 individually, sometimes even on week days! Hours are drastically cut if sales numbers are not being made; sometimes I'd get cut after two hours of being on my shift. - Our DM would tell our store manager that some of our girls were 'sloppy' and 'unfashionable' for not wearing all Maurices and not wearing 'enough' makeup. - Company policy is against telling customers the store is closed, so you can be there up to two to three hours after closing time. This wasn't as hard for me (single, no kiddos) but one of our girls was a mother of three and this was really hard for her to stay after hours (as late as 11 pm.) The worst part of this is the company then turns around and says you went over on hours so due to being open for customers after closing your hours are then cut the following week. This is contradictory and unfair. - If you are a 'positive net producer' your hours are increased, but if you're a 'negative net producer' your hours are drastically cut (sometimes down to four hours a week!) and you will be lectured by the managers on what you're doing wrong. My experience with Maurices is that they focus way too much on what you DIDN'T do, what sales you DIDN'T get and are constantly lecturing and punishing their employees. A little deserved praise and positivity would do wonders for employee morale.

1. 4.0
                  Jun 12, 2016
                  Former Employee
                  Business Outlook

Pros

Great clothing discount and the quality of clothing is well above average. Fun environment and good team to work with. Perfect job to supplement income, increase your connections, update your wardrobe or get you out of your normal 8-5 grind with your regular job. Lots of opportunities for advancement being they have over 800 stores in the US & Canada.

Cons

Constantly having to update the wardrobe to what is on the sales floor negates the incoming paycheck at times. Scheduling conflicts can occur when already working a 40 hour full time job & taking educational courses.

Aug 24, 2014
                    First Assistant
                    Current Employee, more than 3 years
                    Business Outlook

Pros

Get a raise every year, so long as you are meeting your stats. Get paid hourly, but are expected to service customers like a commissionable job. Hours aren't bad at all, until holidays roll around. People and bosses can be fun to work with. Great vacations hours and medical insurance if you are full-time.

Cons

Can be VERY stressful with all the expectations they have, on top of your regular job duties. Not enough payroll hours for the stores to successfully fulfill all requirements from week to week. Discount hasn't risen, but most prices have gone up. Will not allow anyone in school to become full-time.

1. 4.0
                      Sep 11, 2019
                      First Assistant Manager
                      Current Employee, more than 3 years
                      Business Outlook

Pros

They seem to care about their people and have an excellent leadership training program that can be utilized by all employees.

Cons

Retail hours and if you don’t have the right store lead work life balance can be hard.

1. 5.0
                        Oct 4, 2014
                        Springfield, MO
                        Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible hours, competitive pay for this type of job, the company allows sales associates to move up if they want. The company seems to be pretty stable, new stores open frequently, and they update the look of the stores to stay on trend and desirable to shoppers. I had fun working for this company.

Cons

Very busy store at the location I worked but a busy shift makes time go by faster! It was hard to get full time hours so benefits were not an option for me.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 334 Reviews
                      </>Embed

Popular Careers with Maurices Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Want the inside scoop on your own company?

Join your Company Bowl™ for anonymous work chats.

Popular Conversations

Interview Tips

Data Analyst

I’m new to this data analyst part of tech. I’m trying to break in but it’s been difficult. Can anyone help me with what to expect for interview questions for my position?

0 Comments

Digital Strategy Consultant

Is there an ‘active job seeker’ icon for recruiters on LinkedIn the way there is an ‘actively recruiting’ icon for job seekers?

5 Comments

Senior Resource Manager

Last Thursday and Friday I interviewed with 2 hiring managers for 2 different companies. Both of them said they’d like me to progress to the next interview and the recruiter would reach out. One company said they wanted a offer out this month so it would be a quick process. I sent thank you emails and references. I haven’t heard from either recruiter. I had the recruiter screening and hiring manager interview just days apart, I thought I’d hear back by now. Thoughts?!

3 Comments

Glassdoor has 1,896 Maurices reviews submitted anonymously by Maurices employees. Read employee reviews and ratings on Glassdoor to decide if Maurices is right for you.