KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Maurices

Engaged Employer

Maurices

Add a Review

Maurices Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Dec 5, 2021

Found 107 of over 1,594 reviews

3.8
Maurices President and CEO George Goldfarb and David Kornberg (no image)
George Goldfarb and David Kornberg

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Maurices and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Growth with no work life balance

May 24, 2021 - Store Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great positive environment with lots of room for growth with a great training program

Cons

Full time offers little to no work life balance and doesn’t compensate pay enough for missed time at home. As a store manager I was on call pretty much 24/7 and was always expected to be at work even when my child was sick and I had no one to take care of him.

2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Good job but DMs don't live by the same rules.

Oct 22, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great company, excellent benefits. Recently all store managers were moved to hourly, resulting in more fair compensation. Now, any hours worked over 40 or on major holidays get paid time & 1/2. There are tons of incentives for meeting goals, and since getting the newest Sr vp there have been a lot of positive changes. He is very open to new ideas and has been testing a lot of new projects through different districts to make things even better. If you have quality associates, the stores run well.

Cons

The biggest disconnect seems to be between upper and mid level management. The Sr vp is awesome and cares that managers get a work life balance. But if the DM doesn't support this, it doesn't work. It doesn't help work life balance to take managers off salary if the result is them working later in the day every day and missing dinner with the family in order to be working the needs of the business. My DM never answers her phone. Ever. And if you ask for a call back, and you're lucky enough to get one, it won't be for at least a couple days. She never works past 3pm or God forbid on a weekend. Don't have any emergency situations arise outside of business hours because you're on your own. There's a confidential line you can call into but I know for a fact that my DM has been turned in on this line and was told which of her managers it was. And guess what... She's no longer with the company. So basically you get stuck with whichever DM you get and that's it. I've been in the same position for over 7 years with no options for moving up even though I know there are opportunities because they say I'm not relocatable. Which is funny since I've already relocated to a different store once. Advancement beyond store manager is very cloudy and there is no clear path to take if that's what you want. I've worked through the entire manager achievement program (DMBA) and still no opportunity for advancement. My store is in the top 3 for my district. My staff could all be promoted up. There is no reason I couldn't do more but again they don't have a connection between the mid and upper level management.

4 people found this review helpful
  3. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

First Assistant Manager

Jul 14, 2020 - First Assistant Manager in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Business Outlook

Pros

work life balance is highly promoted

Cons

certain things should not be mandated to be in a job description such as forcing employees to take pictures weekly of them trying on clothing

4. 5.0
    Current Employee

Love

Apr 24, 2021 - Store Leader in Rock Springs, WY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Care and work life balance is great!

Cons

No room for growth. DL positions are only given to leaders around big cities. Doesn’t make sense! I have zoom! I have an airport! I can drive! Will lose talent over it

5. 5.0
    Current Employee

Best job ever

Mar 30, 2022 - Store Leader
    Business Outlook

Pros

They value their employees and have a good work life balance!

Cons

You have to work various nights, weekends and holidays.

6. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Challenging and Rewarding

Mar 19, 2014 - Store Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company you work for tries to keep things fun. Company is very big on personal development and advancement. If you want to advance they will help and support you.

Cons

There is high turnover even at district management level. Employees are often young and immature. Finding a good work life balance can be challenging.

7. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Ok

Nov 14, 2021 - Full-time Assistant Manager in Chattanooga, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Loved my team and women I worked with.

Cons

Hours and schedule didn’t allow work life balance.

8. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Company!

Apr 19, 2022 - Senior Digital Designer
    Business Outlook

Pros

- leadership genuinely cares about associates well being - good work life balance (yay for summer fridays) - opportunity for 100% remote

Cons

- unorganized - lack of structure

9. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great company

Sep 11, 2019 - First Assistant Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

They seem to care about their people and have an excellent leadership training program that can be utilized by all employees.

Cons

Retail hours and if you don’t have the right store lead work life balance can be hard.

10. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great place if looking for retail sales training

Jul 10, 2017 - Assistant Manager in Huntsville, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

You'd think one of the best reasons to work is for the 40% discount, well as it turns out this company has much more to offer. The coaching you get from everyone is usually always professional and never meant to discourage you. Great work/life balance for part and full time employees. Great leadership opportunities as well as potential to promote from within. Great company culture.

Cons

Sometimes hard-to-meet sales goals can be a bummer on a team/store. Selling credit cards in certain markets can be difficult as well.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 107 Reviews