Mavens Reviews | Glassdoor

4.9
Mavens Founder & Principal PK Kanumury
PK Kanumury

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexibility: You can work from home (in 5 reviews)

• Employees First - The company genuinely keeps the employee wellbeing at the forefront of everything they do (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Being a small company, the insurance premiums can be a little higher, but that is offset by fair compensation (in 3 reviews)

• Can you motivate yourself to get the job done when often working remotely from your colleagues (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Mavens full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great workplace culture, awesome co-workers, work from home, unlimited PTO, the opportunity to give my honest opinion in any situation.

Cons

Working from home sometimes makes communication seem lagging. There are times where you would like to be in the mix more than a conference call can accomplish.

Advice to Management

Don't forget about those of us who are on the outskirts of civilization. ;-)

2. "An Innovative Company"

Current Employee - Developer in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Developer in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Mavens full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When hired, each person is given a list of suggested books. If you take the time to read the books it will illuminate the thinking behind the decisions in the company structure, policies and culture. In previous companies I always felt there was a better way for companies to operate, Mavens has found that way and it's evidence based and forward thinking. More than anything else, this is why Mavens is special and why I love Mavens.

Companies often speak highly about themselves in the type of terms I just described. When I first talking to various Mavens during my interview process I admittedly thought, "Uh huh... Riiggghhhttt." haha I was skeptical and I'm not surprised if you are too, but I can verify that the Mavens culture, structure and way of thinking is largely as advertised.

More Pros:
    - I've never experienced micro-management at Mavens like I have at traditional jobs. It's a benefit of having a relatively flat structure.
    - As a whole, Mavens cares about you and your happiness.
    - At a previous jobs, I felt my growth was limited due to being pigeon holed by a narrowly defined role. At Mavens, your growth path is in your own hands. There is a lot of opportunity to try something new and/or different inside and outside of projects. I think as the company grows the variety of opportunities will narrow a little, but I doubt it will never be like a traditional job.
    - The talent is intimidatingly good, you'll find yourself pushing yourself to live up to your peers and those same intimidatingly talented people are very willing to help. This provides an excellent opportunity for you grow your talents.
    - The work is often challenging. I suppose that might not be desirable for everyone, but if you pass through our hiring process then you're probably fine with challenges. haha
    - I found the Mavens meetup sessions, training and book helpful learning experiences.
    - I don't take a ton of vacation, but I appreciate the time off system is very employ-friendly.

Cons

These cons are probably more cautions than cons:
    - There is a lot to keep up on. You'll be on challenging projects that eat up your time, you'll be maintaining multiple certifications, likely trying to study to get a new certification and probably fulfilling a role on a non-project team too. Mavens is good about work life balance, but it's demanding and you're responsible for striking that balance.
    - If you work remotely, you need to find time to be plugged in with the happenings around the company. You're not going bump into people at the water cooler to talk about what's happening. As a quiet person who tends to just focus on the task in front of me, I've struggled at times in this regard.
    - Sometimes company policies are a little vague, communicating concerns/questions is necessary.

Advice to Management

For the most part, continue doing what you're doing. There are internal growth challenges, but I think as long as we continue to create a safe space to communicate those growth challenges and conquer those challenges in the Mavens-way, then we're good.

3. "I love my job"

Current Employee - Maven in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Maven in Charlottesville, VA

Pros

The work is enjoyable and challenging. I do tons of different things - presentations, negotiation, system design, configuration, data loading, integration architecture, process modeling, custom development, end user and system administrator training, building queries, resolving conflicts, building successful teams, managing expectations, managing projects, etc. I manage my own time and responsibilities.

Cons

Because Mavens is a very flat organization in terms of hierarchy, each employee has broad responsibility and it is almost like being an entrepreneur. If you're happy doing one well-defined role, this might not be the place for you.

Advice to Management

We don't have "Management". Mavens are empowered to make decisions themselves and to help make our team better.

The owner (PK) actively seeks input from all employees on a regular basis.

We focus on doing the right things for the right reasons, and encourage people to speak up when they think there is a better way to work.

"Still Happy!"

Current Employee - Solution Architect in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Solution Architect in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Mavens full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've enjoyed almost 4 years at the company now and continue to be challenged and excited about my work. Everyday is different and I appreciate being able to get involved in all aspects of the company and work with like minded and intelligent people. Connection to management and open decision making is an fresh and well received business model here.

Cons

Need to be ready to jump in head first. There is a lot of work and it is a small company, so sometimes can feel overwhelming when taking on several roles.

Advice to Management

Appreciate that you have taught me how a company should be managed

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Solution Architect in Smithfield, RI
    Current Employee - Solution Architect in Smithfield, RI

Pros

I've been at Mavens since January. Mavens is a very different company than any other company I've worked at before. Many companies say they support their employees, but Mavens walks the walk. They train you, they support you and they make sure you're successful.

Cons

Can't think of any at this time.

"Best. Workplace. Ever!"

I have been working at Mavens full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Here at Mavens there is such a feeling of family and camaraderie. Mavens has created a culture of caring that extends to each person's family. It is a breath of fresh air compared to other places I have worked where you are only an employee number and a source of quota percentages.

Cons

As far as I have seen, there are no cons or drawbacks. The culture of craftsmanship is strong and everyone feels a personal need to do the very best they can for our customers and each other.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and your employees will continue to love what they do and make it matter! Thank you!

"Different and great"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Mavens full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Driven to be great, but not on the backs of the individual. Great team of really smart, capable people. Able to deliver great results by being really focused.

Cons

Not for me, but those who need more direction or formal structure tend to struggle. Also, while there is career progression and growth, it's less traditional. Not title or "reports" focused. If you want that, Mavens won't give you that.

Advice to Management

Stick to the core, and core values

"Great culture and innovative consulting company."

Current Employee - Solution Architect in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Solution Architect in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Mavens full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Vertical Focus
    -Work with the best
    -Always innovating
    -Challenging Projects

Cons

-Need to hire
    -Not for everyone as non-hierarchical structure doesn't appeal to all.

"Great Culture with Awesome People"

Former Employee - Technical Architect in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Technical Architect in Chicago, IL

I worked at Mavens full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mavens lives by an exemplary set of values, and sets an environment where each member of the team can grow and represent those values in their own unique way. In a nutshell, these values demonstrate the importance Mavens places upon people and the corresponding relationships between them. Whether customer or employee, there's a consistent underlying tone of caring for their welfare and success. As a result, the best version of yourself can emerge and thrive. It's "family" in the best sense of the word, where each one is seeking for the good of the others. Far from any mandate, you WANT to exceed your bounds and help others do the same.

Practically speaking, Mavens gladly supplies any "tools" needed for their employees to excel. Equipment, training, mentoring - the resources are readily available to you for the asking. So even in this regard, Mavens empowers its employees to forge their path towards a mutual benefit. Therefore, Mavens is comprised of the highest caliber individuals that are ever honing their craft.

Cons

To me, there are no real cons to Mavens, but it's certainly not for everyone. If you prefer traditional settings, like management hierarchy or narrow job roles, you won't find that at Mavens. Instead, a high degree of autonomy and self-motivation, with constant learning are the norm. There's no "moving up" in this flat structure, so if your goal is along these lines, Mavens won't be able to address that. (To me, all these things are plusses, but they may be cons for others.)

Advice to Management

The partners have built and sustained a great environment and culture. My desire is that they'd continue to hold that course without compromise. As Mavens has grown, there have been temptations toward the expedient which have been resisted; keep resisting! Continue to hold out for the new ways you will innovate for allowing Mavens to grow and yet retain its extraordinary qualities.

"Solution Architect"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Mavens (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture. The people really care for you. Incredibly smart people. You can take on as much responsibility as you can handle.

Cons

Environment is very unstructured and can be difficult if you are not self-driven.

Advice to Management

Need to hire more people