Maverik Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Chuck Maggelet

Pros
Cons
  • Over worked and under appreciated by upper management (in 9 reviews)

• Which i will be entering litigation shortly) Low pay hours constantly cut to maintain a profit / labor ratio (in 5 reviews)

1. "Ok job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springville, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springville, UT

I worked at Maverik full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some great people to work with

Cons

they have a huge overturn

Advice to Management

Try to keep things professional

2. "Fresh ba9"

Former Employee - Fresh Associate in Pasco, WA
    Former Employee - Fresh Associate in Pasco, WA

I worked at Maverik full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great customerseeing and some employee's

Cons

Very poor management over all in departments

Advice to Management

CEO and management needoesn't to listen to the employee's that are not management they are not fair a day will do anything to cover thier butts!!!

3. "Poor Benefits/Look Elsewhere"

I worked at Maverik full-time

Pros

-Great people work there
    -Some perks like tickets to events
    -Cool Headquarters

Cons

-Medical is high deductible and requires you to use their clinics (if you want to just pay a co-pay) which aren't conveniently located for many people in the Salt Lake County Area
    -Plays games with pay (do not agree to bonuses of any kind make sure it's base pay)
    -Turnover high for these reasons

I highly recommend you look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees fairly and how you would want to be treated.

5. "Good people, bad company"

Pros

I worked at maverik for 6+ years. A lot of the people I met where great, my first boss at maverik for the first 4 years was the best I ever had.

Cons

Where do I begin... the company expects their employees to do so much with no help. Their bakery is the highest selling area in the store, but they expect them to be able to do so much and keep adding more and more to the point they are just done. I worked there for 6+ years and I only went from making $7.50 to $9.00 ... so rarely any raises.

Advice to Management

Look at these jobs you give us through the employees eyes and realise that they aren't super human...

6. "review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Maverik full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

brand name/retail experience/training/meeting department heads

Cons

no growth/ no technical aspect/no mentoring

Advice to Management

take time to assess a candidate/job relevant interviews/focus on mentoring people and give people time to pick up

7. "Horrible Job!"

Former Employee - Bakery Team Member in Richmond, UT
    Former Employee - Bakery Team Member in Richmond, UT

I worked at Maverik full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing good about this location

Cons

Horrible management, low pay, worked you like a dog, not enough employees, or they all quit, tried to squeeze every minute of time (and life) out of you.

Advice to Management

Don't hire your daughters, send them to a different location. Hire more people in the bakery.

8. "Poor"

Current Employee - Bakery Manager in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Bakery Manager in Boise, ID

I have been working at Maverik full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun, fast-paced, growing company, lots of innovative ideas.

Cons

Upper management refuses to listen to what is needed for making the stores products better. Fair employee yearly reviews are something that is said are done but are not. The management lies on a daily basis. Employees are made to feel like their opinions and ideas are worthless.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and quit trying to make them feel less than. Actually complete reviews as you are supposed to and apply raises as applicable.

"A job at a gas station, nothing to write home about"

Current Employee - Adventure Guide in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Adventure Guide in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Maverik part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Depending on the store location it can be very busy and enjoyable. Good co-workers if you are lucky. And again, depending on the location the customers can be fantastic as well and a bright part of the day. Room for advancement to Store Director if you desire it.

Cons

Low pay. Depending on the store location you may end up with an older, neglected store as well as having customers that are either drug addicts or pan handlers. Maverik is striving to grow exponentially with its number of stores but leave out the needs of the front lines, it's cashiers. Higher pay would be helpful to gain higher quality employees A lot of nepotism can be found in several of the stores.. The worst is that Maverik doesnt offer ANY perks to the front store employees. Not even a free cup of coffee of a fountain soda during a shift. (How many pots of coffee do we throw out in the course of a day, yet you will get fired if you have a cup, in your OWN container)? Ditto for the hot foods. A employee discount for a meal on shift would be nice, especially considering how much food is thrown out daily. You must remain firm on the hours you are willing to work and not cave or management will continually mess with your schedule, ask you to work extra shifts for the no show employees. (The more you give the more they will want from you)

Advice to Management

Please dont just comment that you are 'looking into' giving employee discounts for meals or drinks again. I've been hearing this for two years now. It is a slap in the face that you cant even offer an employee one lousy drink on shift. Just makes it even more evident that you dont care about the lowly cashier. It would go a LONG way to show appreciation for your front line employees.

10. "Adventure Guide"

Former Employee - Adventure Guide in Caldwell, ID
    Former Employee - Adventure Guide in Caldwell, ID

I worked at Maverik full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Customers, decent benefits and great co-workers.

Cons

Low Pay. Only got one $0.25 raise in my two years I was there. Was promised a promotion; six months later, still not promoted.
    Call in sick, management tries to guilt trip you into coming in anyways.
    No choice of shift. Asked for a day shift many times, but a new employee was placed over me.
    High workload and low staffing. Management constantly complaining about labor budget, which affected mostly the evening shift (my shift). Made it harder to get tasks done, along with helping customers. Averaged 400-450 a night. More on the weekends.
    Got tired of pulling double shifts when your next shift doesn't show up. Management no help at finding a replacement.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more. Your turn around rate might improve.

11. "Executive director of Category Mansgement"

Current Employee - Executive Director Category Management in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Executive Director Category Management in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Maverik full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture, fun environment very easy to get along with everyone you work with. There is an energy and enthusiasm for growth.

Cons

At times the executive leadership is quick to change course without a built-in vision for the future. This can create extra work and often times expensive decisions for the company that are not in its overall best interest long-term.