Mavis Discount Tire Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.0
Stephen Sorbaro

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good pay, great work environment (in 5 reviews)

• No Pros to be given at this time (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • You have to sell the Goodyear credit card one brake flush, one power steering flush two batteries and a minimum of two shocks and struts a day (in 9 reviews)

• if you don't move there Goodyear credit cards a there will be hell to pay from upper management (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Mavis Discount Tire’s priority is not only selling tires but also to seeing employees grow and succeed."

Current Employee - Benefits Manager in Millwood, NY
    Current Employee - Benefits Manager in Millwood, NY

I have been working at Mavis Discount Tire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Growth, Work/Life balance & Fantastic Leadership among many other pros!

Cons

Can not say there are any for me

Advice to Management

I have worked for a handful of companies and I can say for sure that Mavis Tire is the first company that has truly felt like family and takes a personal interest in seeing you succeed. I was first employed in 2013 as a Receptionist. I quickly learned that even though Mavis has come a long way from where it first started they kept close to the roots of feeling like a small town family owned company, while substantially growing year after year. I enjoy the people that I work with every day and they have become my second family. The owners whom you see and work closely with on almost an everyday basis are kind and eager to teach you and watch you grow. A year into my time with Mavis I had my first child, The Company as a whole was always right there to answer questions and made me feel very comfortable. Leave was fair, Health benefits are good and returning back to work they were accommodating and went above and beyond for my needs. Shortly after I was offered the opportunity to transfer to the benefits department in Human Resources which I accepted eagerly as I had no experience working in an HR department. I love to challenge myself and learn new things. Within a few months of being in this new position I had my second child. After my return from maternity leave I returned to my position and a few short months after that I was offered the promotion to become the Manager of the benefits department.
    Mavis tire has been nothing short of kind, compassionate and supportive. While there is no such thing as having a perfect day every day I am so thankful to have the leadership and mentors that I do to look up to when I am faced with a challenge.
    They have pushed me to grow and continue to do so. Upper management cares about the quality of life for each employee. They challenge you to be better than you even think is possible. Work hard, accept challenges, do the uncomfortable and you will grow within this company very fast. I cannot thank Mavis enough for all of the opportunities they have given me and for making a work/life balance achievable.

2. "Assistant Store Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Flemington, NJ
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Flemington, NJ

I worked at Mavis Discount Tire (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, great work environment

Cons

Management always changing
    TSM is not present

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better and with more respect

"Horrible"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Union, NJ
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Union, NJ

I worked at Mavis Discount Tire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

mechanics and tech were great

Cons

push you to sell products not needed by customer

Advice to Management

go back to the values that made mavis tires outstanding

4. "tech"

Pros

It has a nice pace of work

Cons

Pay wasn't really where it should be for technicians.

"Worst company to work for."

Former Employee - Regional Training Manager in New Hyde Park, NY
    Former Employee - Regional Training Manager in New Hyde Park, NY

I worked at Mavis Discount Tire (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not much for a pro here a lot more cons. Company seems to try to brainwash employees with their antiquated policy and procedures.

Cons

Their Buy In and Micro Management style doesn't work anymore in this world. Employees are underpaid and overworked and then potentially fired if they don't sell enough. Their Slogan Treat Others as you want to be treated is not for employees.

Advice to Management

Fix your process and your mindset towards your employees you might keep them instead of loosing them.

"Think twice about working for Mavis"

Current Employee - Technician
    Current Employee - Technician

I have been working at Mavis Discount Tire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not required to work 50+ hours, pleasant work environment, good co-workers

Cons

They hire young inexperienced kids to run the stores at $12 an hour. Management has no managerial skills. Service managers have no automotive knowledge. Mavis is a company that forces it's employees to sell things to their customers that they don't need and at the same time will charge them for washer fluid, or not provide it at all. It's frustrating being a responsible professional employee working under immature kids that have no experience or work ethic that can't even dress professionally for the job.

Advice to Management

Ask yourselves why you can't keep your stores fully staffed, and why the quality of staff is so low. Your employees are your biggest asset, you need to make some changes.
    Get rid of the call center!

7. "Sales driven!"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Mavis Discount Tire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of training and checkups to make sure everything is going well, easy to reach management and manuals for all of the processes needed to run your position.

Cons

Sales driven company basing performance on your numbers. If you can sell you're good. if your customers aren't purchasing anything you're not so good.

Advice to Management

Slow down and understand the customer says no sometimes.

"One long and drawn out waste of time and gas money."

Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Mavis Discount Tire full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I can't think of one single good thing about this company. They will jerk you around until you settle for the same mediocrity they call the Mavis process.

Cons

The downward spiral of dumbness. Hired as a manager and then sent all over the place for a 12/hr salary covering other managers who don't know how to show up for work, selling products under their sales numbers and making their quotas and making them money. No thanks Mavis.

Advice to Management

How about hiring RM's and DM's that actually have automotive experience instead of people who only know how to read your dashboard. 20 years of automotive experience and I'm told by some guy who sells alarm systems how to run a shop.

9. "Not a Happy Place"

Former Employee - Clerk in Bridgewater, NJ
    Former Employee - Clerk in Bridgewater, NJ

I worked at Mavis Discount Tire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None that I can think of.

Cons

Micromanaged every step each day.

Advice to Management

Find a buyer or take company public.

"Mavis Technician"

I have been working at Mavis Discount Tire full-time

Pros

Meet some interesting people. Its hands on experience

Cons

Management does not know what they're doing. They'll drop the price of commission based work in a heartbeat for anyone who walks through the door, which takes food out of your mouth. They just want cars in and out as quick as possible instead of doing things right. Wages are no where near competitive with anywhere else in the field. All stress and aggravation with no enjoyment for lowest wages legally allowed by the state. Expect super techs for no money. Understaffed, under paid, overworked. I would not recommend Mavis to my worst enemy.

Advice to Management

Start over new.