MaxLinear Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
MaxLinear CEO Dr. Kishore Seendripu
Dr. Kishore Seendripu

Pros
  • Tons of work to do, which means you can learn a lot of new stuff and gain a broad view of development (in 6 reviews)

• Challenging work, company offers good benefits and is financially sound (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance is slightly disturbing (in 10 reviews)

• Awful culture, and you are expected to work long hours (in 11 reviews)

1. "Intern at RFIC group"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at MaxLinear as an intern

Pros

They work on really interesting projects. The specs that they target is challenging and it is so fun to work on such projects. You will learn a lot.
    Also, management has established good collaboration and communication between people which helps you to learn a lot. They are smart and well experienced.

Cons

I didn't see any serious issue for interns.
    It would be great if the company could help the interns with housing.
    Also, interns don't have access key. So sometimes, specially at launch hours, you need to wait in front desk till finally someone opens the door for you.

Advice to Management

Help interns with housing

"Great place to work but not for everyone!"

Current Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at MaxLinear full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

fast growing, rewarding, everyone is aware and appreciate your hard work. if you are doing a good job everyone will see it from your direct manager all the way up to CEO. I personally admire the CEO. He stops by and start a conversation with almost everyone very often. He is very rough on Sales and Marketing but nicer to engineers. guess what, he used to be an engineer not long time ago. I was given several opportunities within the company. It is not something you see in other companies at least in my experience.
    I made a lot of life-time friends there.

Cons

If you are looking for a place to have easy 8- hours job and raise your shoulder when there is a problem, this is not for you. Everyone works harder than what they supposed to.
    There are some underachieved managers in charge unfortunately. If i was CEO i would fire a few.
    The salary rate is lower compare to other companies within the same industry.

Advice to Management

Have a weekly open discussion meeting, have senior engineers work on a topic and share it with everyone.
    That's why they get the big bucks.

3. "Top level talent, most intelligent people I've known in the industry"

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at MaxLinear full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent option for career growth and exposure to multiple areas within the IC design field. Definitely will not be stuck designing or iterating on the same type of topologies / components of the system block diagram. Great location.

Cons

Definitely not a 9-5 job if that's what you are looking for. Pace can be intense but the level of growth after a few years is worth it.

5. "Great company to start at and grow in your career"

Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at MaxLinear full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

MaxLinear is a great place to work. The company is big enough to have really smart engineers to learn from but small enough that I have had a lot of exposure to the r&d process and not just a small part of it. We move fast here but coworkers are driven and the higher ups are involved and available. I’ve gained a lot more experience than my friends who went to bigger companies.

Cons

Time frames can be pretty tight so more time would be better so we can develop the best products possible.

"Excellent"

Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Carlsbad, CA

Pros

Perfect Startup. Ample opportunity to learn. No beating around bush and negligible politics in work place. Customer driven and to the point. Engineering driven.

Management encourages risk taking. Making mistakes in the process is OK. If you are serious about work (which you have to if you work there) you have only one way to go.

Great People in the company. However, it is a unique company in terms of culture.

Beer party almost every month during work hour. If your cubicle is close to the CEO's office, and stick around until 7PM on a Friday, you might get to drink fine wine every other week. Just bring your glass.

Cons

It's a great startup environment, but Maxlinear is really not a startup. It's a 70M+ company. It's great in what it does - i.e. Analog RF, but the company surely needs to improve its strength in software in order to increase its revenue and become a mid-size company. However, there is a tradeoff and I am not sure if the top management is sure about the direction of the company. Do what you do best and take risk in that field? Or spend resource in tech domain that is more lucrative, however without ample experience? Top management seems to be more comfortable in the first option. It's really not a bad thing. But, then the company has public offering.

In this company lot of people are not comfortable with the culture. Work life balance would score in negative. Thats a cliche if you are a Maxlinear employee. But I hear these days management is really serious about it and encouraging people to leave at 6:30.

Lot of people also complain that the culture in the company is too loud. Working in this company very soon one would realize that thats also the strength of this company. Nothing is sugarcoated. People here don't really like colleagues who sugarcoat things. As a result, the company is so direct that it's often uncomfortable when manager does 'informal' 1x1 in your cube with other people around. I have seen and heard this many time in this company. That must change.

Although more words spent on Cons than on Pros, in my mind, in this company the pro vs con is 75% vs. 25%. Just because of the reason you will enjoy your work. If you somehow don't, nobody will be likely to stop you from taking a job profile in the company which you like within roundabout skillset... most of the time something will be available, or made available.. Also I hope the company continues to encourage its employees taking risks.

Advice to Management

Keep doing the great work. Keep bringing Belgian beers in the patio parties..

7. "Strong engineering community, strong leadership, great opportunity to grow professionally"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

Pros

MxL is not afraid to take big risks -- in technical decisions and in people. I've gotten the opportunity to do things here I was not able to get elsewhere. Smart decision-making, technical mentorship, and humility are valued as much as technical virtuousity. Barriers between teams -- analog IC, digital IC, systems -- are low. Opportunities to learn are plentiful for those who seek them out. As a new grad, you will quickly get the opportunity to work on circuits that will end up in successful products.

Cons

This is not the easiest gig in town. Like being part of any team with high performance and high standards, you'll be surrounded with people who want to succeed and make great products. It is not always easy. However, as the company has grown, there is much more modulation -- downtime after tapeouts, "normal time" between projects, opportunities for technology development. Even during the difficult times, I've gotten support from my managers and peers to take care of personal needs and family issues when they come up.

Advice to Management

Focus on building and training stronger middle management to support the designers in the trenches. This will help new grads develop and cope with the fast pace and aggressive goals.

"Member of Technical Staff"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

Pros

Exponential learning curve to start a career. Great exposure to best engineers.

Cons

Long work hours. Sometimes need to work even on week ends.

Advice to Management

Doing a great job.

9. "Great Place To Work"

I have been working at MaxLinear full-time

Pros

Very Relaxed
    Still has that Small feel
    Great Management
    Constant Growth of the Company
    Sensitive to what will give maximum value to the company

Cons

Heavy in Set Top Box (a potentially declining industry)
    Not a lot of learning opportunities (focus on what you know)
    A little on the cheap side (it helps with the bottom line, but at a cost)

Advice to Management

As you grow, look to great examples like Bill&Dave (of HP) to keep attracting and holding onto the golden employees.

10. "Senior Staff"

I have been working at MaxLinear full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1. Learn at a fast pace.
    2. Very transparent.
    3. Effort by all groups to make the products successful. First tapeout becomes a production chip, something I have never seen in other places.
    4. Desire to dig out all issues and resolve all issues to make a quality product.

Cons

1. Sometimes gets difficult to meet the schedules.
    2. Low on fun activities.
    3. Nothing major.

11. "Excellent"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

I worked at MaxLinear full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is very good work environment and people are so friendly. You will learn a lot for sure. You will work on real critical projects.

Cons

The work life balance is slightly disturbing. The salary is less compared to the job you are doing. But overall if you are interested in analog/RF it totally worth the pain.

Advice to Management

Increase the wages. The salary is slightly less. Overall the management is quite good and they responds very politely to everything you ask. The main thing is less salary to the work we do.

MaxLinear Response

Dec 5, 2016 – recruiting manager

Thank you for taking the time to give your thoughts on your time at MaxLinear. We do regularly review compensation and work to ensure total compensation (base salary, bonus and stock / RSUs) is ... More