MaxLinear Reviews | Glassdoor

MaxLinear Reviews

Updated May 9, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Tons of work to do, which means you can learn a lot of new stuff and gain a broad view of development (in 6 reviews)

• Challenging work, company offers good benefits and is financially sound (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance is slightly disturbing (in 10 reviews)

• Awful culture, and you are expected to work long hours (in 11 reviews)

"Electrical Eng"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at MaxLinear full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good, knowledgeable engineers/employees
    Smart buy of Entropic

Cons

Some unprofessional management
    No 401k matching

"Good"

Current Employee - Communication Systems Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Communication Systems Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at MaxLinear full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work with great people. You have a chance to wirk with great engineers. Projects are dynamic and all engineers are needed.

Cons

Engineer development is not important. Emphasis placed on IC team. Other teams are viewed as support teams. In last year additional teams have caused some issues within the company.

Advice to Management

Read cons section.

"Engineer"

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at MaxLinear full-time (More than a year)

Pros

High tech, cutting edge, advanced ICs that are taking market share from much bigger competitors. Stock options. Smart people. Learning environment. May make money someday.

Cons

Very fast pace and demanding work environment. A bit unorganized on running programs, with plenty of shifting people around to fit holes in the development process. Weak vacation policy, and one that requires upper management approval, and scrutiny, for even a few days off. Poor management communication. Lot of turn over with colleagues. Keep your butt in the seat and work long hours. 4 people in a cube, loud environment.

Advice to Management

Tell your employees that you care about them, and that they're important to you. Change the vacation policy, allow more days off. Staff up your programs properly and stop shifting people around every other week. Support, empower and trust your workers to allow them to be successful, instead of just dumping more unrealistic schedules and workloads.

"Great place to work but not for everyone!"

Current Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at MaxLinear full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

fast growing, rewarding, everyone is aware and appreciate your hard work. if you are doing a good job everyone will see it from your direct manager all the way up to CEO. I personally admire the CEO. He stops by and start a conversation with almost everyone very often. He is very rough on Sales and Marketing but nicer to engineers. guess what, he used to be an engineer not long time ago. I was given several opportunities within the company. It is not something you see in other companies at least in my experience.
    I made a lot of life-time friends there.

Cons

If you are looking for a place to have easy 8- hours job and raise your shoulder when there is a problem, this is not for you. Everyone works harder than what they supposed to.
    There are some underachieved managers in charge unfortunately. If i was CEO i would fire a few.
    The salary rate is lower compare to other companies within the same industry.

Advice to Management

Have a weekly open discussion meeting, have senior engineers work on a topic and share it with everyone.
    That's why they get the big bucks.

6. "Conversation with the CEO"

I have been working at MaxLinear full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked at MaxLinear for about a year- as a staff level engineer. The CEO is a frequent visitor to our work areas-asking how its going- what are the problems and listening to our technical discussions.

Cons

Some of the cross functional communication is clumsy and not always effective - too many emails on the same subject.

Advice to Management

Keep meetings brief and to the point

7. "Top level talent, most intelligent people I've known in the industry"

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at MaxLinear full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent option for career growth and exposure to multiple areas within the IC design field. Definitely will not be stuck designing or iterating on the same type of topologies / components of the system block diagram. Great location.

Cons

Definitely not a 9-5 job if that's what you are looking for. Pace can be intense but the level of growth after a few years is worth it.

8. "Great Year to be at MaxLinear"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at MaxLinear full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of hires this year of smart engineers- added talent to the teams- products good and pace is fast and interesting

Cons

Pace is sometimes hectic but it comes and goes so not like that all the time

Advice to Management

Continue with the frequent communication- company events this year were fun

"HR Is A Revolving Door"

Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at MaxLinear full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sometimes they have BBQs. The employees are hard working.

Cons

Human Resources employees at MaxLinear have a shelf life of approx 6 months. Work hours are long and demanding. There is no work/family balance. You are required to work 60-80 hours per week including weekends. They put you on salary so you don't get paid overtime. The environment becomes hostile when leadership yells at employees.

Advice to Management

Leadership is proven to be autocratic. Leadership does not listen to or understand the needs of employees.

"Great place to get broad based technical exposure."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at MaxLinear full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Engineering teams work on cross functional teams and quickly build broader base technical skills. A great career move! The access to the senior leaders is open to all. Since many of them are also engineers it often is a great conversation.

Cons

Being a smaller company there are sometimes some resource challenges but the teams in other countries really do their part so it all works.

11. "Great company to start at and grow in your career"

I have been working at MaxLinear full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

MaxLinear is a great place to work. The company is big enough to have really smart engineers to learn from but small enough that I have had a lot of exposure to the r&d process and not just a small part of it. We move fast here but coworkers are driven and the higher ups are involved and available. I’ve gained a lot more experience than my friends who went to bigger companies.

Cons

Time frames can be pretty tight so more time would be better so we can develop the best products possible.