MaxPoint Reviews in Morrisville, NC | Glassdoor

Morrisville, NC

4.0
Joe Epperson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I constantly get opportunities to learn new technologies and use that knowledge to benefit our customers (in 9 reviews)

• The pay and benefits are nice and the technology at your disposal is great (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance can be tough depending on your role (in 7 reviews)

• Growing pains with the company are evident in some cases (in 6 reviews)

"Great people, good work, has issues with direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at MaxPoint full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people here are great. Everyone within my sphere of work is supportive and intent on helping each other do good work. The health benefits are great and the headquarters in Morrisville is a great office environment with free food, drinks, and an open floor plan (for those like me who have difficulty with cubicles).

Cons

Initiatives are at the whim of the C-suite, teams are often under staffed (but the work expectations remain high), and management is hit or miss. We're in the process of being acquired, so keep that in mind if you're considering applying.

Advice to Management

Don't give impossible deadlines to teams who are already stretched thin. Good people with a strong work ethic work here - don't force them to put out sub-standard work because they don't have the resources they need.

2. "Intern"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Morrisville, NC
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at MaxPoint as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

- Hands on work
    - Technology
    - Employees are willing to assist and teach
    - Office space and stocked kitchen
    - Challenging, learning environment

Cons

- Compensation is slightly low

3. "Software Engineer"

Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Morrisville, NC
    Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Morrisville, NC

I worked at MaxPoint as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun environment
    Team outings
    New technologies
    Expanding technologies

Cons

Some long tedious meetings
    Needs more learning opportunities

"Weird vibes"

Former Employee - Data Scientist in Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - Data Scientist in Morrisville, NC

I worked at MaxPoint full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay and benefits are nice and the technology at your disposal is great.

Cons

Everyone claims that they love working there but people keep leaving, so that kept raising eyebrows and I decided to get out before the ship sinks. Also it would be nice if the cafe was stocked with more healthy snack options.

Advice to Management

Put more effort into retaining talent. The surge in job applications has seemed to make management complacent in that regard, but this is not sustainable.

Jun 13, 2017 – Talent Team

Thank you for sharing your perspective on your time as a Data Scientist on our Morrisville, NC team. We appreciate your honest feedback regarding benefits and retention. Our employees are crucial to... More

"Bad work. Worse culture."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

Pros

Good benefits. Free snacks I guess?

Cons

The Work:
    I worked in a technical role at MaxPoint and was excited about the idea of helping solve new and interesting problems in an area I didn't really know anything about. What I found, however, was that instead of receiving any kind of structured mentorship in growing my career, I was repeatedly given tasks that (a) didn't correspond to skills I was interested in building and (b) didn't provide a very good bridge between skills I already had and areas I wanted to grow in. MaxPoint has a lot of problems to work on, but most that you'll likely be given have to do with putting out a fire or giving someone a quick-and-dirty answer to a half-baked question. In short, not necessarily fulfilling work. If you can convince yourself that it's worth it to continue the work in order to tell people you work at a sexy ad-tech company (which, really, it isn't) then you'll be fine. On the other hand, if you're over the age of 25 and want to build a career, look elsewhere.

The People:
    The people I worked with on a daily basis were about 50/50 as far as being collegial and professional. You'll meet plenty of people at the company who are smart, but whose arrogance far outpaces their intellect. I was constantly astounded at how big some people's egos were when they worked at an unknown kinda-sorta-not-really-a-startup anymore in Morrisville, NC.

Outside my group, people were far less tolerable. The company encourages what they deem a "scrappy" outlook and demeanor at work. "Work hard/play hard" I guess, but really this comes across as immature and encouraging childish behavior that often manifests itself in needless competition, favoritism, and one-uppery. I get it. It's fashionable to be a "cool" company in a trendy industry that keeps things loose and informal. But when that attitude allows people create an uncomfortable work environment unchecked by managers or peers, maybe it's time to re-evaluate. Considering 4 or 5 people in my group have left since I left, I don't think I'm the only one who has felt this way.

The Culture:
    The culture is fast-paced and somewhat combative, again probably owing to the "work hard/play hard" attitude mentioned above. But there are other issues that are a little shadier. For instance, 3 months into working at the company, I received an email from someone in HR that asked (in not so many words) to write a favorable Glassdoor review for the company. Other things come to mind, such as colleagues in my group loudly and publicly bashing interview candidates before they had even left the building. What's worse is that management in my group either turned a blind eye to this or actually participated in the gossip. This seems like something that someone in HR should probably have addressed, but then if you're soliciting your employees to write favorable Glassdoor reviews, you're probably not going to address obnoxious unprofessional behavior anywhere in the company.

Finally, when I was at MaxPoint, there seemed to be a complete lack of direction from anywhere in management. It's a smaller company, just getting over being a startup, so surely there are going to be growing pains. It's certainly not an environment for everyone, and that's something I found out about myself in working there. But, managers are so busy trying to appease the CEO whose mind constantly changes that there is no telling what you'll be working on from week to week. And if you think you'll have a say in what you're working on, you're probably sorrily mistaken. I remember being in a new-hire orientation a few months after I'd been hired on. At one point, the CEO gave a talk about the company, giving a little bit of history and trying to excite everyone about working there. After an incoherent rant, Joe took some questions and was asked a completely standard question - "where do you see MaxPoint in 5 years?" Joe paused, looked around the room and said something to the effect of: "I don't know. I don't like to plan too much. I just like to see where things go." What's astonishing about this response is not so much that Joe didn't have a 5-year vision or that he had some uncertainty about the company's direction. What's astonishing is that he didn't have a ready answer to such a routine, boring, predictable question. As the CEO of the company, you can have uncertainties about the company's direction - but you have to have an ANSWER for people who ask such an obvious question.

This is the guy that's steering the ship at MaxPoint. This is the guy everyone is trying blindly to make happy. No one is checking him. No one is questioning him. No one is asking if his ideas are good ideas. And, if you're at MaxPoint, he's the guy you work for. Sound like a place you want to be?

Jun 13, 2017 – Talent Team

Hello, thank you for your detailed review on your experience working with us. First, we’re sorry to hear that you didn’t find your work fulfilling or aligned with your skillset. As we continue to... More

"Great Learning Experience with Growing Pains"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Morrisville, NC

I worked at MaxPoint full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had the ability to significantly affect several major company initiatives. I got to learn about a LOT of different areas of the company and try my hand in several departments.

Cons

Home life balance was difficult.

Nov 21, 2016 – Vice President, Product Management

What an awesome review! We are thrilled to hear employees can see their work making a meaningful impact on our organization. We’ve been working on improving our communications to help employees... More

"Do Not Recommed"

I worked at MaxPoint full-time

Pros

Healthcare is covered 100% and the cafe is always stocked.

Cons

Leadership is non-existent. Promotions are based on favoritism. Gossip and politics are promoted.

Advice to Management

Do a thorough evaluation of the employees that you are promoting. Get rid of the dead weight and find people that are experienced enough to be in their position.

Jun 13, 2017 – Talent Team

We’re sorry to hear about your experience. We recognize the issues you mentioned and took steps internally to address them. We strive to keep the lines of communication open, and encourage all... More

8. "Intern"

Former Intern - Intern in Morrisville, NC
    Former Intern - Intern in Morrisville, NC

I worked at MaxPoint as an intern

Pros

-great work environment with young, fun people
    -company really invests in their employees even as an intern I got to enjoy lunches during meetings etc.
    -learn a lot
    -pay is great for an intern
    -love the company culture

Cons

For an intern, I wish I had more responsibility. The tasks were pretty mind-numbing and I was either really busy or had absolutely nothing to do.

Advice to Management

Invest more into training for your interns. Most interns want to learn and be as helpful as possible.

9. "Fun environment!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

Pros

Wonderful place to work. Culture is amazing. Everyone is given equal respect.

Cons

I can't think of any thing negative to say. The company is young and is still evolving so there are some things that need worked on but nothing major.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Sep 6, 2016 – Head of Recruiting

Thank you for taking the time to write a review!

Respect is one of our core values so we are glad to hear you say we are living up to our own high expectations!

As you noted, we are... More

10. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

Pros

Great place to work. Fun and collaborative culture. Free snacks (healthy and not so healthy options).

Cons

It seemed like everyone was working 50-60/hours a week.

Sep 16, 2016 – Talent Engagement Manager

We really appreciate you taking the time to write this review on your experience at MaxPoint! Fun and collaborative are perfect adjectives to describe us, we couldn’t have said it better. The free... More